I owned an urgent care in N.C. for 10 years. For the most part I hated it. I hated dealing with the medical board, insurance companies, supervising physicians, 95% of my employees, a lot of my patients, and poor income. Every time I turned around someone had their hand in my pocket. If I could do it again I wouldn’t even go into healthcare. I’m just coasting along on part time locus jobs until I retire. I won’t miss it at all.

On 7/20/2018 at 4:10 PM, Dale said:

I owned an urgent care in N.C. for 10 years. For the most part I hated it. I hated dealing with the medical board, insurance companies, supervising physicians, 95% of my employees, a lot of my patients, and poor income. Every time I turned around someone had their hand in my pocket. If I could do it again I wouldn’t even go into healthcare. I’m just coasting along on part time locus jobs until I retire. I won’t miss it at all.

I will not do it again, for the reasons you stated. However, if I could do it as a cash-only business, I would consider it. When I ended my clinic, I took out truck loads of crap related to insurance companies, but virtually a back bag full of stuff for helping patients get well. (I orchestrated this narrative of the insurance company world into my novel, which is coming out in about a week). I know some who have done it, doing business with insurance companies, and succeeded well. But the insurance business world is like walking through the looking glass into a world where nothing makes sense any more.

I own a house call practice in TX. Medicare only.

Between the patients who expect miracles, staff that over exaggerate their competency, and Medicare reimbursement I am exhausted. BUT, I know of seemingly successful PA owned practices. One is cash only. 

I would not mind owning another practice, but it is getting ridicously hard due to the oversite and lack of reimbursements. Which is probably why many physicians sold out to hospitals or corporations. (IMO)

• Upvote 1