PA owned practice

I owned an urgent care in N.C. for 10 years. For the most part I hated it. I hated dealing with the medical board, insurance companies, supervising physicians, 95% of my employees, a lot of my patients, and poor income. Every time I turned around someone had their hand in my pocket. If I could do it again I wouldn’t even go into healthcare. I’m just coasting along on part time locus jobs until I retire. I won’t miss it at all.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/20/2018 at 4:10 PM, Dale said:

I owned an urgent care in N.C. for 10 years. For the most part I hated it. I hated dealing with the medical board, insurance companies, supervising physicians, 95% of my employees, a lot of my patients, and poor income. Every time I turned around someone had their hand in my pocket. If I could do it again I wouldn’t even go into healthcare. I’m just coasting along on part time locus jobs until I retire. I won’t miss it at all.

I will not do it again, for the reasons you stated. However, if I could do it as a cash-only business, I would consider it. When I ended my clinic, I took out truck loads of crap related to insurance companies, but virtually a back bag full of stuff for helping patients get well. (I orchestrated this narrative of the insurance company world into my novel, which is coming out in about a week). I know some who have done it, doing business with insurance companies, and succeeded well. But the insurance business world is like walking through the looking glass into a world where nothing makes sense any more.

I own a house call practice in TX. Medicare only.

Between the patients who expect miracles, staff that over exaggerate their competency, and Medicare reimbursement I am exhausted. BUT, I know of seemingly successful PA owned practices. One is cash only. 

I would not mind owning another practice, but it is getting ridicously hard due to the oversite and lack of reimbursements. Which is probably why many physicians sold out to hospitals or corporations. (IMO)

• 3 weeks later...

Id be interested to run some numbers on the viability of a cash-only urgent care. Say, $50 a visit flat rate, more for procedures. If you had 2 providers 7 days a week, 1 MA, 1 clerk....pay the providers a percentage of pts seen....I dont know honestly. It sounds good on paper but I bet it totally depends on location. 

I know a PA who has a cash-only urgent care. He charges $85 per visit, and swears he has been in black from day one. It has been over a year since opening, and he has afforded to go vacation. 

With that being said, not sure how liquid he was to begin with. 

I had 3 friends who did this years ago(late 80s). all former vietnam medics. all now retired or dead.  they took cash, medicare, and medicaid only. their entire staff was 1 person who was an MA/limited xr tech who also did front desk and billing. they rented an old warehouse and bought used Korean war era tables and office furniture and an ancient xray machine and ekg. . they each worked 2 12 hr shifts/week and made bank. they did primary care, urgent care, and occ med(for cash). their sp was a retired surgeon who just signed some charts every month. Apparently to make money in this kind of situation you need to know the medicare/medicaid billing criteria inside and out. for example how often can you bill for an ekg, cxr, lab work, etc Definitely a for-profit venture. they had their practice in an area where the only other option was the local hospital. probably pretty hard to run a practice like that today. they had no emr. they dealt with no insurance aside from the govt.

On 8/30/2018 at 1:56 AM, kps64 said:

I know a PA who has a cash-only urgent care. He charges $85 per visit, and swears he has been in black from day one. It has been over a year since opening, and he has afforded to go vacation. 

With that being said, not sure how liquid he was to begin with. 

where is it at?

• 3 weeks later...

Good evening everyone,

I am looking for a preceptor, One of the schools I applied to is UND ( pre-PA applicant), I have received an interview invite from. They want e to find preceptor preferably family practice, I did have preceptor at one point the DO, but my school preferred family practice PA, MD or DO. Kindly please help. I will be more than happy to share information about the school. 

I am applying under Entry point 1.

https://med.und.edu/physician-assistant/prerequisites.html#d14e162-1

Thank you so much for your help and time.

Archived