The Waitlist.

I hope I do not come across as being rude. You guys are all so amazing and I am just frustrated and have no one to turn to and vent without being patronized.

I am so tired of the waitlist. This is my fourth attempt at applying to schools. Collectively this is my seventh-eighth(?) year post-bachelors degree attempting to increase my competitiveness for the PA profession. I went back to school twice now and obtained a second bachelors and a second masters degree (quit my EMT gig for the second masters in Biomedical Sciences). Obtained a committee letter, increased my shadowing and volunteer hours. Went and sat with career services and had mock interviews. Had a buddy of mine (has his PhD/MBA) sit down with me every weekend for two months to perform mock interviews. Spent $200 to sit down and go through interview techniques with Mr. Rodican. Have been spending a hour each night for weeks on end with my fiancé mock interviewing only to go to these interviews and get told I am waitlisted. 

During the interview process I speak with as many candidates as I can, I maintain positivity, I try and form bonds with the admissions committee members. I maintain professionalism, show up on time, and ask questions which are relevant for the program and do not cause the admissions committee to have to defend themselves. Of course I am initially nervous like everyone else but then I maintain composure and reply to the interview questions as humbly and professionally as I can using my 31 years of experience and experiences working inside of ED's and volunteering in underserved community clinics. I have no problem with ethics essays or prompts because I recently took a medical ethics course and continuously review my notes. Further, I re-read the PA code of ethics prior to going into interviews. During group interviews I try and feel the vibe of the room before attempting to answer the questions. I attempt to be personable and do not brag about my credentials yet I do not sit there like a lamp and say nothing.

Which brings me to the question again: What is it? What am I not seeing or doing correctly for these interviews? This is genuinely frustrating that we're told to pursue upper division science courses and then out of nowhere the final admissions test is some 1:1 interview or group interviews that collectively last for 35-40 minutes which dictates our entire career pursuits. 

I have only had 1 interview this cycle so far, and have been placed on the waitlist...however thoughts of the previous cycles interviews and being placed on the waitlists are absolutely destroying my confidence, creativity, and positivity. I am trying to stay humble and positive applying to PA programs. I understand that the competition is fierce and that some of you are genuinely gods gift to humanity. However, I feel like I am jumping through more and more hoops just to be waitlisted and then have to pay even more money just to jump through more hoops. What ends up happening is people that are placed on the waitlist after me are the ones who are always called upon to take up a spot.

I am going through the forums and even looking at previous posts about the waitlists or just interview techniques in general and all I see are comments about "being yourself". Every time I am "being myself" I get waitlisted. Clearly it is not enough to be yourself. To those that work in admissions or are part of committees or are now in PA schools and are speaking with the faculty of any program...what is it that separates one from being accepted and one that is waitlisted? 

Thanks for hearing me out guys. I know in the grand scheme of things everything will be okay. But come on man! Throw me a bone here!

No time to write a lengthy reply, but real fast-- My first-choice school combines your application score with your interview score for a total deciding score. So, is it possible that these schools might be as well and your stats are slightly less competitive? 

I wish I could be more help. It doesn't sound like you could do anything more to prepare for interviews than you already have (which is impressive to me). I have seen members give blanket advice to applicants for how to be a more desirable applicant in general, but all it really takes is to be a perfect match for one school. And, that doesn't necessarily make you a "well-rounded" applicant. Just they right one for that school. That's the approach I'm taking, but I have another week or so to see if it has worked. 

Do you feel like your application is perfect for any of the schools to which you're applying? 

29 minutes ago, Prepaguy23 said:

What are your stats?

Hey, I'm not a big fan of posting statistics, first off they can all be false and I could just be saying anything to make myself feel better on the internet. Point is: I am getting interview invites and have spent YEARS and a copious amount of resources working on increasing my application to become competitive.

The hard part or issue that is grinding my gears is the interview processes that PA programs use. Further, their arbitrary assignment of who gets to be accepted and who gets to be waitlisted. 

I will post my statistics only if you believe it has something to do with the acceptance vs. waitlist factor. Otherwise, my statistics are good enough to get me interviews. Further, I've been told that you don't have to worry so much about stats once you receive interviews...at that point they know you're already competent/qualified to be able to handle the rigors of the program. For example, during my most recent interview NONE of my transcripts or grades were brought up. They were mostly situational-behavioral-general questions. I believe I answered them thoroughly and provided succinct and rational explanations for whatever question was given by providing my experiences working as an EMT, and my time volunteering in underserved community clinics. 

I tend to disagree based on what I wrote earlier. This is just something that will vary from school to school.

At my interview session, we were told that the interviewers saw none of our application, yes. But, this to me was a benefit because it left me able to discuss cool stuff that was already mentioned in my application that would be redundant to someone who had seen it.

This doesn't mean, however, that my interview score then became the only deciding factor for acceptance at that point. It simply means that the interviewers gave a subjective review (score) to the application committee who then combined it with my application score to come up with a total.

Also, who cares if someone might think your stats are false if you're getting advice from someone who thinks they're genuine? Anyone who didn't believe you wouldn't bother trying to help you out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Here's an answer you don't want to hear: maybe there's just something about you.

First, not all interview processes are arbitrary.  They have scoring systems and what not but they certainly aren't going to make that public.

Second, after going through the process and helping my program with interviews in following years, a lot of it can come down to personality.  You're right, you're getting interviews so your stats are probably fine enough.  I will note that after several years of applying to be sure your stats are improving each year and NOT just additional HCE/PCE.  You've gotten all the right advice and done the right things.  Be yourself.  Practice interviews.  At the end of the day programs accept students who they think will be a good fit for their program and be good PAs.  Anecdotally, I've seen applicants have the best stats and technically give the 'right' answers but weren't personable or were too rehearsed or just felt 'off' to interviewers.

Without knowing you, I can't say if those are things that are problems.  But considering you get interviews (and even waitlisted!) I'm inclined to say there is no ONE thing that you can do.  Maybe apply to different programs.  Maybe figure out at what point you walk away.  Unfortunately wanting it doesn't mean it can or will happen.

You'll get plenty of answers here saying 'keep trying, you'll get in eventually'.  And that might be true.  But you don't post something like this looking for an ego boost.  Or maybe you do.  Like I said, I don't know you.  But you're asking for advice on something that is intangible in this venue.  

16 minutes ago, MT2PA said:

Here's an answer you don't want to hear: maybe there's just something about you.

First, not all interview processes are arbitrary.  They have scoring systems and what not but they certainly aren't going to make that public.

Second, after going through the process and helping my program with interviews in following years, a lot of it can come down to personality.  You're right, you're getting interviews so your stats are probably fine enough.  I will note that after several years of applying to be sure your stats are improving each year and NOT just additional HCE/PCE.  You've gotten all the right advice and done the right things.  Be yourself.  Practice interviews.  At the end of the day programs accept students who they think will be a good fit for their program and be good PAs.  Anecdotally, I've seen applicants have the best stats and technically give the 'right' answers but weren't personable or were too rehearsed or just felt 'off' to interviewers.

Without knowing you, I can't say if those are things that are problems.  But considering you get interviews (and even waitlisted!) I'm inclined to say there is no ONE thing that you can do.  Maybe apply to different programs.  Maybe figure out at what point you walk away.  Unfortunately wanting it doesn't mean it can or will happen.

You'll get plenty of answers here saying 'keep trying, you'll get in eventually'.  And that might be true.  But you don't post something like this looking for an ego boost.  Or maybe you do.  Like I said, I don't know you.  But you're asking for advice on something that is intangible in this venue.  

I understand and get what you're saying. I assure you I have been improving my stats each year. At least I am not being rejected? I don't know. 

You're also correct that there is no guarantee that any of this time, commitment, or resources spent pursuing this career path will even pay off. I totally understand that aspect. 

No, this isn't an ego boost. This is a hey-im-frustrated-as-all-heck in the pursuit of this career path. 

Going to go grab a brewski. 

Your grades are ok and your experience is good. If you’re getting interviews, regardless of all of your training (or, frankly, overtraining), you’re just not coming across well. That could mean anything:

Too talky and sharing

Too shy and constrained

Too full of yourself

Not knowledgeable about the profession

Lacking in humanity and/or spontaneity

Or a million other things

As an interviewer, I want the person in front of me to do more than regurgitate their application (which we DO see), be friendly like they’re meeting their boyfriend’s dad for the first time, and make me want to have them in our class. Someone who is not going to be the problem child and who the other students are going to enjoy in the class. Someone who will do well academically, adapt and overcome obstacles, reflect well on our program during their clinicals, and pass their boards.

Think on that and see if it gives you ideas. And, if it were me, stop with taking yet more courses! More HCE is good, and get the best LORs you can.

Keep smiling and good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your interviewing so the personal statement, grades, experience must all be good.  The problem is downstream; your interviews aren't going well.  My concern is that after so many attempts at applying, you've become jaded and pessimistic and this MAY be conveyed in your interviews...

I don't know...A buddy of mine was interviewing for medschools two years ago, he did really well and after the interview cycle, he was offered several acceptances (Interviewed with Mayo, Feinberg at Northwestern, etc.).  Of course I sought his advice.  He said that I needed to make every effort to be genuine during the interview but more importantly follow up the interviews with thank you letters and a letter of intent if appropriate.  In the letter, he said, be sure to include how the school made you FEEL when you walked through the front door and how the town felt like home.  Of course I didn't plagiarize his thoughts but I definitely extrapolated from them,Subsequently, sent out personalized thank you letters to each interviewer via personal email as well as LOI for the school I liked best.

Nobody mentions LOI or thank you letters on this forum it seems...

Also I took notes like crazy during my interviews.

rooting for you, good luck.

EDIT:  There's so much advice I could give to help you improve but I'm sure you've done it all, researched every strategy already... 

-research the school, memorize its mission statement

-incorporate the schools philosophy, mission statement, and history into your interview responses

-have your answers to the most common interview question on lockdown but DONT come off like a robot.  

-really pause and consider the questions being asked even if you have your answer memorized ahead of time.

-eye contact

-don't be afraid to stumble, stutter, be a little goofy, show the interviewer who you really are.

-offer some spontaneity in your interview responses/don't rehearse everything.  this will help you stand out among all the 4.0 robot interviewers...you'll come across refreshingly genuine/personable.

-as previously mentioned: LOI and thank yous

-its late, but you might be able to apply to a few new/inaugural programs.

-youre wearing a suit right?

38 minutes ago, SephONE said:

Your interviewing so the personal statement, grades, experience must all be good.  The problem is downstream; your interviews aren't going well.  My concern is that after so many attempts at applying, you've become jaded and pessimistic and this MAY be conveyed in your interviews...

I don't know...A buddy of mine was interviewing for medschools two years ago, he did really well and after the interview cycle, he was offered several acceptances (Interviewed with Mayo, Feinberg at Northwestern, etc.).  Of course I sought his advice.  He said that I needed to make every effort to be genuine during the interview but more importantly follow up the interviews with thank you letters and a letter of intent if appropriate.  In the letter, he said, be sure to include how the school made you FEEL when you walked through the front door and how the town felt like home.  Of course I didn't plagiarize his thoughts but I definitely extrapolated from them,Subsequently, sent out personalized thank you letters to each interviewer via personal email as well as LOI for the school I liked best.

EDIT:  There's so much advice I could give to help you improve but I'm sure you've done it all, researched every strategy already... 

-incorporate the schools philosophy, mission statement, and history into your interview responses

-have your answers to the most common interview question on lockdown but DONT come off like a robot.  

-really pause and consider the questions being asked even if you have your answer memorized ahead of time.

-eye contact

-don't be afraid to stumble, stutter, be a little goofy, show the interviewer who you really are.

-offer some spontaneity in your interview responses/don't rehearse everything.  this will help you stand out among all the 4.0 robot interviewers...you'll come across refreshingly genuine/personable.

I’m getting ready to go through my first interviews but this sounds like great advice. Keep your chin up, teamsleep!

32 minutes ago, SephONE said:

-eye contact

Honestly, NOT sending a thank you letter isn't going to keep a good candidate from getting accepted.  And there are plenty of other threads that acknowledge that letters of intent are essentially worthless in the PA process.  Programs have the upper hand for a majority of the application process.  Only when a student has multiple offers in hand do they have any power.  Schools assume if you apply and interview you WILL go there if accepted.  Obviously it's a numbers game and they KNOW you're applying multiple places and doing multiple interviews.  They also know if you don't accept, they have a line a mile long of applicants probably just as qualified who will eagerly enroll.

I also disagree with memorizing the mission statement, philosophy, history, etc.  That's just my personal preference.  I don't think interviewers want you to recite what they already know to them.  Or show off.  They want to learn about you.  Not how well you studied for an interview.  I actually never did any of this and it didn't hurt me one iota.

36 minutes ago, MT2PA said:

Honestly, NOT sending a thank you letter isn't going to keep a good candidate from getting accepted.  And there are plenty of other threads that acknowledge that letters of intent are essentially worthless in the PA process.  Programs have the upper hand for a majority of the application process.  Only when a student has multiple offers in hand do they have any power.  Schools assume if you apply and interview you WILL go there if accepted.  Obviously it's a numbers game and they KNOW you're applying multiple places and doing multiple interviews.  They also know if you don't accept, they have a line a mile long of applicants probably just as qualified who will eagerly enroll.

There are a lot of strategies to sending letters. From my understanding, the purpose of the LOI is to tell the school that IF they accept you, you will attend.  It isn't a plea or beg.  When I was researching the strategy I remember reading about a statistic, perhaps more relevant to emd schools, that reflects well on the school.  Its essentially the number interviewed vs the number of interviewees that accept the schools offer to attend. Alternatively, it also serves as a reminder to your interviewers of who you are.  It isnt a plea for acceptance, its more of a combo thank you letter and reminder that commits you to the program.. The school can count on you accept rather than reverting to wait list or whatnot...As far as thank you letters go, I consider them more a sign of respect and a dual reminder of who you were as well.  Just like any job interview, you can perhaps further elaborate on an interview response in the thank you letter.

36 minutes ago, MT2PA said:

I also disagree with memorizing the mission statement, philosophy, history, etc.  That's just my personal preference.  I don't think interviewers want you to recite what they already know to them.  Or show off.  They want to learn about you.  Not how well you studied for an interview.  I actually never did any of this and it didn't hurt me one iota.

No, it is int a rehearsal, Im not saying anything should be recited.  But having this background knowledge, I feel, can help you tailor your responses to show yourself as a better fit for the school, which you yourself previously mentioned.

In the end, I don't want to offer any advice that would hurt someones chances which is why I offered what I could.  I appreciate your honest and seasoned criticism, and usually I'm the kind of guy that would defer to someone like you with more experience on the subject.  On these two matters however, neither sending an LOI or researching/memorizing school mission statement will hurt the interview process.  

At the beginning of our interviews the director actually told us not to even bother reciting what we've learned about the school from their website. She said, "we already know everything that's on there. Tell us about you."

And, I agree about letters. The school is going to pick who they think is the best match for their program. They want to keep attrition rates low and PANCE rates high. No amount of follow-up letters are going to change their mind about the scores they gave you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Letters of intent and thank yous don't really help based on my experiences. The faculty who interviewed you normally meet shortly after the interviews to evaluate the applicants.

And, I noted on another thread, LOIs don't mean much; you're not LeBron. If you don't accept an offered seat, we'll just reach down and pick the next applicant.

Just focus on telling the interviewers about yourself. If there's something in your record you'd like to explain for 30 seconds, do so. Tell them something about you that they can't read in the paperwork. 

Don't obsess and feel like every interview is "match point"; you either get in here or you're toast. If you feel that way, you'll be tight as a drum and miss a chance to let them see you as you are.

Hey I sincerely appreciate the support and all of your guys' advice. I just need to step back, maintain positivity and try and be humble about this entire process again. 

I do feel a sense of pride even being invited for the interview. I've essentially fallen in love with every town I have had the opportunity to interview at so it kind of disappoints me when I see things don't pan out my way.

I used to send thank you cards but I recently stopped doing that, they don't seem like they care...further, the admissions committees usually make a decision right before the cards reach them. I understand its a professional courtesy but I know people are making it in without the cards and LOI's. In a few months I will consider sending a LOI to a few waitlisted programs or at least update them with what I am doing. 

It's still July and there are plenty of programs to hear back from...

4 hours ago, MT2PA said:

Oh yeah, I do not memorize but I am familiar with them. I try and cater my application toward the programs such that I would be able to accomplish their mission, vision, and goals. Again...most of the PA schools I am applying to gear towards primary care and underserved communities which is exactly what my resume and experiences entail. 

I'll definitely keep you guys posted. One day we're all going to look back at these posts and laugh! 

I do have one question though, does anyone know what they look at when they decide to examine the waitlist and start calling? Is it better to get on the list early than later? Are they aware of the timings when students interviewed and were initially put on the list? Or is it just one gigantic lottery pick?

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, teamsleep said:

All is right in this world.

Accepted into Emory University.

I am done with this forum for now...everyone aspiring to get into PA school it took me four cycles.

LETS GO.

I am so happy for you man. Honestly, congrats! You deserve it. You got accepted into one of the more difficult universities, possibly the most difficult in the Southeast. That's something to be proud of. How many schools did you apply to this cycle, and how many interviews did you receive?

First off, thank you everyone! thank you moleashish and Ollivander! I sincerely appreciate it. Ollivander, I applied to 25 PA programs this cycle. I obtained 4 more interviews after the initial post of this thread. Got the call this morning and have cancelled everywhere else because of how wonderful the interview experience was.

So I am getting a few private messages in regard to what I changed up for the interview...here is my best advice and mindset in terms of my successful interview (if you're interviewing then be sure to look above and see my initial notes as well):  

-Maintain positivity. Smile. However, do not smile unnecessarily when the admissions committee is talking to you about a serious topic such as cancer/death.

-Lets say that during the interview an admissions committee member becomes combative or tries to debate you on some ethical question...then be sure to acknowledge that he/she is correct and that this is the reason it is an ethical and controversial situation. Tell them you're willing to learn more about the situation. Therefore they can't argue or debate you if you're telling them they're right.

-Do not compare yourself with your colleagues. Instead seek to be cooperative. DO NOT COMPARE YOURSELF. I can't stress it enough...DO NOT engage in trying to outcompete your colleagues. You can be on their team and support them. If they shoot themselves in the foot during the interview then that is THEIR problem. At the end of the day your colleagues will not decide if you get into the program.

-Go out of your way to know a few people within the interview group. You do not have to know everyones name. However, be humble and show that you are a team player and that you are wanting to know more about your colleagues. It is interesting seeing everyone else's background. Remember that you may end up working with some of them.

-Show interest in the program. DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS ABOUT STUFF YOU CAN RESEARCH ON THE UNIVERSITY/COLLEGE WEBSITE. Instead, ask questions that cater specifically to the program. DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS THAT PUT THE ADMISSIONS COMMITTEE ON THE DEFENSE like "well, in 2011 your PANCE scores went down...why is that? blah blah". Instead I asked questions like "you've seen many students complete this program, what would you say are characteristics my colleagues and I need in order to be successful?" Notice that you're including your colleagues.

-During group interviews...MATCH THE FORMALITY OF THE ROOM. If the answers that your colleagues give are casual, then go with a casual answer. The thing is, the admissions committee ALREADY knows you're competent. You're obviously at the interview....therefore YOU DO NOT HAVE TO OUTCOMPETE your colleagues

-Give succinct answers that are brief and to the point. Try to have personal examples that cater to the question being asked. Try to limit yourself in going ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON about your success and how you're gods gift to humanity. If someone does that, then everyone in the group setting feels like they need to try and outcompete everyone too which leads to being more nervous and turns the environment into a competitive one. The admissions committee is paying attention to this.

-Remember that EVERYONE IS WATCHING...the janitors...the secretaries...THEY ARE ALL WATCHING. They ARE ALL LISTENING. Maintain professionalism! Do not say anything negative. Do not talk about how some other program is your #1 or whatever. The moment you LEAVE the campus and get back onto your flight back home then say whatever you want lol.

-MANY students will tell you to "BE YOURSELF". That advice is TRASH. If you were yourself then you would already be in by now. Unfortunately you're going to have to play the game. The game is to be cooperative, show interest, smile when appropriate, make eye contact, maintain positivity, be concise and brief with your answers, and do not try to outcompete your colleagues. If you have trouble remembering this use the mnemonic: HAK - humble, approachable, knowledgeable. 

-I suggest preparing for the interview all the way up until a day or so prior to the interview. Just relax the night before. Morning of wake up 30-40 minutes earlier than you normally would and run through a few warm-up questions. Go in and BE POSITIVEOWN IT.

-PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT CODE OF ETHICS. READ IT.

-I personally avoided coffee/food until my interview was done. This is a personal decision. I also brought my own water bottle.

Most of all guys, do not give up. Even in the face of armageddon...DO NOT GIVE UP. 

TeamSleep,

First of all, congratulations!

Second, much of what you shared can be helpful. I liked the HAK acronym.

Third, “being yourself” — or at least yourself at your Sunday best — is still good advice from my experience as an interviewer. It’s authentic and a lack of authenticity can often (but not always) be spotted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived