Procedure Logs and the Reality for PAs

Conversation opened. 1 unread message.

Procedure Logs and the Reality for PAs

By Bob Blumm, MA, PA-C, DFAAPA

Physician Assistants were always allowed to engage in lateral mobility. Lateral mobility is the freedom to pass interchangeably from one specialty to another such as family practice to internal medicine or general surgery to orthopedic surgery.  This is and was part of the attractiveness of our profession but we are moving into an era of stricter regulation that may require proof of competency in these other areas in order to be hired and to function at the top of our role. Failure to achieve this can result in being anchored to your present specialty or making you a victim of a liability suit because there is no formal training and there is no log of past performance.

I received an e-mail from Tom Gocke a few years ago and he made this comment;” Bob, this is for all PAs! Going forward we will all need to prove we can perform procedures we profess to be able to perform. Resident programs for PAs will help but not all of us go to those programs and if we continue to enjoy the freedom of job mobility, co-insurance and our employers will want some assurance that we are able to perform a specific skill with proficiency.” Tom Gocke, MS, ATC, PA-C, DFAAPA.

I have mentioned this for a number of years but now strongly encourage my colleagues on both the PA and NP sides to start a log that demonstrates a procedure that has been observed, graded and signed by a physician. We came close to having limitations on our SOP when the AMA last convened and the next time they choose to have us on the plate you can be assured that this requirement will be added. This new request or demand will be under the guise of patient safety and I must agree that I would have a experienced PA or NP place my central line rather than an absolute novice.

The result of a failure to keep a log will be discovery by a plaintiff’s attorney and the initiation of litigation. It is for this reason that I encourage all my colleagues to purchase a personal liability insurance policy by CM&F as this can make a difference in your representation as well as in the outcome. All of the words above are of extreme importance to every clinician and I cannot urge you enough to comply.

Bob Blumm

Click here to enable desktop notifications for Gmail.   Learn more  Hide

More

8 of 11

acls

Inbox
x

AIbEiAIAAABECPGdkv-N66GnoAEiC3ZjYXJkX3Bob3RvKig4YjFmNmNjNDlkZTQxNjVhN2M4ZDU5MmY5MDU3Y2ViNTg0YTI2NTA2MAGdEhxxDyOsXPuAAmJby3BL4_wK_A?sz=32

Robert Blumm <surgblumm@gmail.com>

9:51 PM (19 hours ago)

to me
cleardot.gif

Following one of the Leaders 
by Bob Blumm, MA, RPA-C, DFAAPA - November 5, 2012 Bookmark and Share

Every serious student of emergency services and those who have taken an ATLS course may have heard of a physician called Ken Grauer. Ken is a fabulous physician and has been involved in the study of resuscitation of the human heart and in the study of cardiac anatomy and physiology. Ken was part of the core faculty in Family Medicine at UF Gainesville, Florida.  Recently Ken has developed a series of ECG/ACLS materials of interest to interdisciplinary groups of health care providers of all levels and experience. I will mention the names of these publications and you can contact the website or e-mail the company or get involved in a free blog.

ECG-2011-Pocket Brain plus two new AHA ACLS Guidelines= ACLS-2011-PB and ACLS Practice Code Scenarios as well as user friendly ACLS-2011-PDF File that combines both books and can be ordered in bulk for discount. Ask Ken about the Free Educational ECG Blog that is a worthy addition to your browsing if you are in the business of saving lives. These offerings are also available on Kindle. If you are involved as a teacher of ECG’s he has developed an ECG-PDF Course and may just have completed a series of objective exams to assess ECG Competency.

As a PA who has practiced 16 of his years in the ER on a PT basis and as a surgical provider I have learned the need of an interesting, engaging and yet simple course or courses that print an indelible image in your brain which helps you to be among the best team ;leaders or responders. You need to follow the leader , in this case; Ken Grauer, MD (KG/EKG Press, Professor Emeritus

E-Mail: ekgpress@mac.com

Free Educational ECG Blog: http://www.ecg-interpretation.blogspot.com

Let this short article make a difference in the way that you practice medicine.

Warmly, Bob Blumm

Posted in:
Specialties

-- 

Robert M. Blumm, MA, PA-C, DFAAPA
National PA Consultant, Activist and Conference Speaker

A ‘Veteran’ is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America for an amount of ‘up to and including my life.’

--
Robert M. Blumm, MA, PA, PA-C Emeritus, DFAAPASurgical PA, National Conference Speaker, Author, Suture Workshop Director, Former AAPA Liaison to American College of Surgeons, Past President four National Associations, Editorial Board Clinician1.com, Advisory Board POCN, Reviewer for Urgent Care JournalInformation about my suture video.Information about upcoming live suture workshops.                                        

AIbEiAIAAABECPGdkv-N66GnoAEiC3ZjYXJkX3Bob3RvKig4YjFmNmNjNDlkZTQxNjVhN2M4ZDU5MmY5MDU3Y2ViNTg0YTI2NTA2MAGdEhxxDyOsXPuAAmJby3BL4_wK_A?sz=32
Click here to Reply or Forward

9.86 GB (65%) of 15 GB used
Last account activity: 41 minutes ago
Details

Conversation opened. 1 unread message.

Click here to enable desktop notifications for Gmail.   Learn more  Hide

More

8 of 11

acls

Inbox
x

Robert Blumm <surgblumm@gmail.com>

9:51 PM (19 hours ago)

to me
cleardot.gif

Following one of the Leaders 
by Bob Blumm, MA, RPA-C, DFAAPA - November 5, 2012 Bookmark and Share

Every serious student of emergency services and those who have taken an ATLS course may have heard of a physician called Ken Grauer. Ken is a fabulous physician and has been involved in the study of resuscitation of the human heart and in the study of cardiac anatomy and physiology. Ken was part of the core faculty in Family Medicine at UF Gainesville, Florida.  Recently Ken has developed a series of ECG/ACLS materials of interest to interdisciplinary groups of health care providers of all levels and experience. I will mention the names of these publications and you can contact the website or e-mail the company or get involved in a free blog.

ECG-2011-Pocket Brain plus two new AHA ACLS Guidelines= ACLS-2011-PB and ACLS Practice Code Scenarios as well as user friendly ACLS-2011-PDF File that combines both books and can be ordered in bulk for discount. Ask Ken about the Free Educational ECG Blog that is a worthy addition to your browsing if you are in the business of saving lives. These offerings are also available on Kindle. If you are involved as a teacher of ECG’s he has developed an ECG-PDF Course and may just have completed a series of objective exams to assess ECG Competency.

As a PA who has practiced 16 of his years in the ER on a PT basis and as a surgical provider I have learned the need of an interesting, engaging and yet simple course or courses that print an indelible image in your brain which helps you to be among the best team ;leaders or responders. You need to follow the leader , in this case; Ken Grauer, MD (KG/EKG Press, Professor Emeritus

E-Mail: ekgpress@mac.com

Free Educational ECG Blog: http://www.ecg-interpretation.blogspot.com

Let this short article make a difference in the way that you practice medicine.

Warmly, Bob Blumm

Posted in:
Specialties

-- 

Robert M. Blumm, MA, PA-C, DFAAPA
National PA Consultant, Activist and Conference Speaker

A ‘Veteran’ is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America for an amount of ‘up to and including my life.’

--
Robert M. Blumm, MA, PA, PA-C Emeritus, DFAAPASurgical PA, National Conference Speaker, Author, Suture Workshop Director, Former AAPA Liaison to American College of Surgeons, Past President four National Associations, Editorial Board Clinician1.com, Advisory Board POCN, Reviewer for Urgent Care JournalInformation about my suture video.Information about upcoming live suture workshops.                                        

Click here to Reply or Forward

9.86 GB (65%) of 15 GB used
Last account activity: 41 minutes ago
Details

Archived