New Grad Family Practice Job

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I'm graduating soon and just accepted this position and wanted to post the details to share and provide another data point of what's out there for new grads. This is a Family Practice clinic in an average/slightly below average COL city. 

36 hours of patient care, 4 hours admin each week

Start seeing 8 patients/day. Slowly increasing patient load to 16-20/day (or more as I feel comfortable) over the first 2 years. Schedule is four 10s

Salary: $91,000 - set for 2 years, eligible for bonus/incentives after 2 years

Sign-on: $5,000

Relocation: up to $10,000

Medical, Dental, Vision offered - plans are pretty typical in terms of premiums and coverage.

Retirement: 100% match up to 4% of salary

PTO: 35 days (includes vacation/sick, CME, holidays)

CME: $2,000/year

Malpractice: covered, includes tail

Hospital system pays for DEA, licensing, credentialing, etc.

Also, since I'm a new grad, I know finding a place that is a strong learning/teaching environment is very important. During my interview and lunch with the providers, this sounds like a great place for a new grad. The providers all sound pretty willing and able to help bring me along, teach, and fill in those knowledge gaps.

Salary is a bit low depending on what part of the country you're in, but otherwise looks like a solid offer if you'll get good training from the jump.

If it were my offer, I'd counter for a salary review in 6 months - 1 year instead of being at the same salary for 2 years and to have CME dates separate from my PTO (i.e. having 5 dedicated days of CME that isn't coming out of my vacation time). 

"Medical, Dental, Vision offered - plans are pretty typical in terms of premiums and coverage."  Are you responsible for these premiums or does the employer pay?  How much are the premiums?  Insuring yourself, a spouse, family?  All of a sudden these numbers wouldn't particularly look so great.  It, as stated above, is also dependent on what part of the country you're in and the COL for same.

11 hours ago, beattie228 said:

Salary is a bit low depending on what part of the country you're in, but otherwise looks like a solid offer if you'll get good training from the jump.

If it were my offer, I'd counter for a salary review in 6 months - 1 year instead of being at the same salary for 2 years and to have CME dates separate from my PTO (i.e. having 5 dedicated days of CME that isn't coming out of my vacation time). 

Obviously it would have been nice to get a bit more compensation, but the combination of lower COL (between 90-100 depending on what COL index site you go to) with what sounds like a great spot to train and be mentored helped confirm my decision to accept. As for the CME, I just took the 35 days of PTO, "took out" chunks for the holidays (6), sick (3), bereavement (3, but definitely don't hope to need that!), and CME (5), and that still leaves me with 18 days of straight vacation. 

9 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

with the bonus, relocation, and retirement I think that is a very fair new grad fp position. congrats!

Thanks! I always appreciate seeing your insight on these boards.

7 hours ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

"Medical, Dental, Vision offered - plans are pretty typical in terms of premiums and coverage."  Are you responsible for these premiums or does the employer pay?  How much are the premiums?  Insuring yourself, a spouse, family?  All of a sudden these numbers wouldn't particularly look so great.  It, as stated above, is also dependent on what part of the country you're in and the COL for same.

Employer pays I think 80% or 90% of my premiums. Spouse and children are extra. Looks to be about $400/month for a family for medical, vision, and dental coverage. Only speaking from my personal experience as this is a second career for me, and have a good deal of data points from other friends in various professions, but I've definitely seen/heard of much worse in terms of coverage. 

Thank you for the feedback and advice!

• 4 months later...

Archived