CME while in residency

I am a recent PA grad, and have just started a PA residency in emergency medicine. I am very excited about it. The PAs in the program are quite tightly woven into the regular EM residency associated with the hospital. Throughout the residency, there will be weekly conferences, additional simulation sessions, etc.

My question is: Is there any way to take some of this didactic time and get it certified as Category 1 CME? Although extra CME certainly won't hurt me (!), my year will already be jam-packed with didactic and hands-on simulation learning opportunities, that are definitely in the spirit of Category 1 CME. Have any of you gotten PA residency activities to count as category 1 CME? 

All ACGME required weekly conference time should count as Cat. 1 CME if it is an ACGME EM residency for physicians. You should have well over 100-150 hours from that alone. The residency should be able to give you a printout of this whenever needed. When I finished residency at Iowa, I got a printout of every hour I attended weekly conference and had around 150 hours. 

In my residency I never asked if the typical weekly conference counted towards CME.  I will say that during a few grand rounds or co-conferneces with groups like trauma, they'd hand out a CME survey and sign in sheet.  I think that might be the only way that they can track on their end this sort of thing.  I personally just made a log in for uptodate whenever I had on-the-job searches, and each search gives you 1/2 point of CME.  After about 3 months I had enough CME logged to cover the entire 2 year requirement.  Easiest way to do it, in my opinion.  You also won't have to organize a million tiny confirmation receipts from all of the conferences you went to... uptodate just bundles it all into one confirmation for the entire time.  

Archived