aochs4

Application verified, now what??

Hello! For those of you that have applied before or are already in PA school, is there anything that I can do after my applications have been sent in to help my chances? My CASPA application was verified on 6/29, and I have received emails from all of the schools I applied to saying my application is under review, followed by when they will start contacting people for interviews, but is there anything I can do in the meantime besides just sit and wait?

Study the profession, prepare for interviews, and research the schools you applied to to find what you love about them say you were to get an interview. There are books you can get to prepare for interviews. Look up current events in the PA world and know about changes and common issues. Continue getting Pt care hours and volunteering so you have experiences to talk about in interviews 

• Like 3

Yes, I second what spartan419 said. I would start preparing for interviews because you never know when that will come by. Know and understand that interviews are a beast! Not trying to scare you, but it really is a different playing field. You want to be make sure you're beyond prepared and comfortable once it comes down to it. G'luck! 

Edited by Doppio_Espresso
  • Like 1

As has been said, starting to prepare for interviews is a good thing to occupy some of your time. Try to arrange some practice interviews in a panel setting and one on one, this will help you simulate interview day and get a feel for formulating answers. The other thing to do is take an objective look at your application from an admissions committee perspective, what areas need improvement, is improving that area a reasonable option. Once you have identified some areas start planning to make those improvements and start doing that. There is nothing worse than waiting to look at that until the final denial email and then you only have 3-6months if that to make a change. If you plan as if you will not get in, then you will be very prepared if that actually happens.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By daydreamy
      Hello, hello, I am very excited! I've interviewed with 4 programs and been accepted into 3 so far! This is a huge accomplishment, especially because my confidence was pretty low until October. I have not yet heard back from my top choice in NYC, but my back-up program is just as good as my top choice (actually, it's better, but I like the location of my top choice more for clinicals).
      All of this being said, I'm really not sure what I need to start purchasing now or soon.
      Are there materials that any PA students or PA's feel were helpful when they started PA school? Any absolute necessities or things you couldn't live without?
      Thank you!!
    • By euttikur
      Hello there! My name is Evelyn Uttikur and I am currently a pre-PA student that resides in Queens. I have volunteered at a local hospital, however, I would greatly appreciate if there are any PAs that are willing to let me shadow them and to impart any advice or wisdom necessary.
      Please email me at evelynuttikur@gmail.com when you get the chance. Thank you! 
    • By mae2luv
      I am concerned about my GPA. As a background, I am a non traditional pre-PA student. I graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in Psychology more than 20 years ago from a foreign university. For the past year, I had been retaking all required pre-requisites to be able to apply to PA school. I am planning to apply next cycle (April 2019). Anyway, my concern is this: I think my cGPA from my foreign university will not even reach a 3 but my cGPA from retaking the pre-requisites (this past year)is a 3.89 and my sGPA is a 4. My patient care hours probably amounts to more than 5000 hrs and counting. Do you guys think I have a chance of getting an acceptance to PA school? Any suggestions? Opinions? Thanks!
    • By hmtpnw
      Last week I got my first official application decision of the cycle. Opening the email, I scanned the words frantically until I found the sentence I was fearing the most. It read, “I regret to inform you of the program’s decision not to pursue your application further.” These words translate much more simply to “rejection.”
      For a moment I felt like I couldn’t breathe. I knew that I would be receiving rejections throughout the cycle, but had hoped and prayed it wouldn’t be from this school. Not only was this program one of my top choices, but it is also the only school in my home city. The realization that I would not have the opportunity to interview hit me like a ton of bricks. With GPAs well above the program’s average and my state residency giving me a leg up over other applicants, I felt that I would likely secure an interview. I was wrong.
      After the news, I began to question my application strategy entirely. I chose to apply more intentionally to a handful of carefully selected programs landing on the lower side of things - 6. As the September 1st deadline for many programs was only a few days away I sent my GRE scores off to an additional school that I was going back and forth on, hoping that they would arrive on time. I was relieved to have everything complete with one other program, but I still questioned if 7 would be enough to land me an acceptance or even an interview.
      At this point I was doubting myself, my personal statement, my clinical experiences… everything. I wondered if there were red flags in my application or if I said the wrong things in the answers to the supplemental questions. I tried to stay optimistic, but I was disappointed and feeling insecure. My first rejection was certainly humbling, planting seeds of doubt that were becoming overwhelming.
      And then I saw it. I was eating my lunch and scanning my email when I suddenly read “Invitation to Interview” in the subject line of an email from my top choice. My heart started racing and my palms were sweating. After seeing the date provided, only 3.5 weeks away, I could barely focus enough to read about the interview details. I was ecstatic. Their initial email contained a typo and in a follow up email with a correction the admissions director revealed that I was the very first applicant to be offered an interview. I couldn’t believe it. This school was my reach, and I certainly wasn’t counting on being offered an interview, let alone the first one. I was over the moon.
      Here I am now, in the midst of the cycle with one interview scheduled and one rejection. Things are still up in the air, but I feel that I am at least back in the game. The ups and downs of this roller coaster ride will continue, and I couldn't be happier. Thus far, this process has been unpredictable. Although I have heard this repeated many times here by those wiser than myself, this experience has definitely shown me that there is no such thing as a sure thing when applying to PA school. Don’t be so quick to count yourself in, but also don’t count yourself out.

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More