Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hello! I saw a thread hadn't been created for U of M. They're accepting applications starting next year and will have their first class starting in 2020. Anyone else interested in this program or have any insight? I was mostly wondering if anyone has experiences with Flint and the safety aspect. Thanks!

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DID ANYONE ELSE JUST HAVE A HEART ATTACK!?! At least they are reminding us that we are not forgotten! Hope they hear something soon so we can!

😅😅😅😅 😭😭😭😭

It's gonna be this week guys, I can feel it! Hope everyone had a great weekend and can make it through another stress filled week! 

Posted Images

I'm from Michigan and wish UofM flint was starting sooner, but I already am going to PA school! I don't know too much about their campus but I have a friend who went through the PT program at UofM Flint and had a great experience. Although she lived in a suburb area outside of Flint, the campus area is very safe. 

Going to school there would be worth it just for the connections. Flint is seriously a good place for healthcare providers to work in and a much needed place for them too.  
Just look how high PAs get paid there and the cost of living is low too https://www.physicianassistantedu.org/michigan/michigan-salary/
Regardless of pay, they're a city in need and I'm so happy they're opening up a school that could potentially fill their provider shortage! Definitely look into their program. 

 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 months later...
On 8/31/2018 at 12:32 PM, KindnessMatters said:

I'm from Michigan and wish UofM flint was starting sooner, but I already am going to PA school! I don't know too much about their campus but I have a friend who went through the PT program at UofM Flint and had a great experience. Although she lived in a suburb area outside of Flint, the campus area is very safe. 

Going to school there would be worth it just for the connections. Flint is seriously a good place for healthcare providers to work in and a much needed place for them too.  
 Just look how high PAs get paid there and the cost of living is low too https://www.physicianassistantedu.org/michigan/michigan-salary/
Regardless of pay, they're a city in need and I'm so happy they're opening up a school that could potentially fill their provider shortage! Definitely look into their program. 

 
 

I didn't see this until now but thanks so much for the information!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

I came across this event that will take place on 9/28/19 in Detroit, and I wanted to share the link. U of M-Flint will be one of the ones in attendance (among a few other local ones)!

It could be a GREAT way to get your questions answered, or find out how you can improve your application for future cycles (if it should come to that), and network with other pre-PAs, PA-S, and PA-Cs in the area. 

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/thepac-takes-detroit-tickets-70091765357

Best of luck to everyone planning on applying to this program:)

 
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
21 hours ago, GoBluePA said:

I had the same issue! Did they ever get back to you?

 

I recently went to their open house session, and they said that they're working on fixing the issue. They will be able to find our scores once they do! Definitely send them an email though so they keep track. 🙂 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all, I am wondering about the physiology prereqs as it says 2 required and one must be a 300 level. I will be finishing A&P by December but am wondering what other classes others are using that can be used for the second course? I also see it says all prereqs must be done before submitting and none can be graduate courses. That would be the only reason I wouldn't be able to apply this year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Glendah628 said:

Hi all, I am wondering about the physiology prereqs as it says 2 required and one must be a 300 level. I will be finishing A&P by December but am wondering what other classes others are using that can be used for the second course? I also see it says all prereqs must be done before submitting and none can be graduate courses. That would be the only reason I wouldn't be able to apply this year. 

Hello! I don’t know which college/university you attend but I went to Wayne State and they offer a 3000 level Human Physiology course for undergrads. Also, I know OCC and Madonna University offers Pathophysiology for undergrad students as well. Hope this helps and best of luck! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2019 at 11:02 PM, angkthomas said:

Hello! I don’t know which college/university you attend but I went to Wayne State and they offer a 3000 level Human Physiology course for undergrads. Also, I know OCC and Madonna University offers Pathophysiology for undergrad students as well. Hope this helps and best of luck! 

Thank you! I am currently at a comm college finishing prereqs, I got my undergrad degree in 2015. I will keep checking to see what schools around me offer more courses,. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2019 at 11:16 PM, Glendah628 said:

Hi all, I am wondering about the physiology prereqs as it says 2 required and one must be a 300 level. I will be finishing A&P by December but am wondering what other classes others are using that can be used for the second course? I also see it says all prereqs must be done before submitting and none can be graduate courses. That would be the only reason I wouldn't be able to apply this year. 

I emailed them today to verify that I would meet the two physiology class requirement. I attended WSU for my undergrad and received a BS in biological sciences. I took human physiology which is BIO 3200 and comparative physiology which is a writing intensive with a lab/ BIO 4120. I'll let you know once they get back to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, AA90a said:

I emailed them today to verify that I would meet the two physiology class requirement. I attended WSU for my undergrad and received a BS in biological sciences. I took human physiology which is BIO 3200 and comparative physiology which is a writing intensive with a lab/ BIO 4120. I'll let you know once they get back to me.

Thanks! I did email their admissions and was told they would not reccomend I apply this year until I have that additional physiology course completed. So it's off my list for this cycle. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

I emailed them today to verify that I would meet the two physiology class requirement. I attended WSU for my undergrad and received a BS in biological sciences. I took human physiology which is BIO 3200 and comparative physiology which is a writing intensive with a lab/ BIO 4120. I'll let you know once they get back to me.

AA90a did they ever get back to you? I emailed them on the 25th of November and have made two phone calls leaving messages. I have yet to get a response to either communication. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 11/10/2019 at 10:16 PM, Glendah628 said:

Hi all, I am wondering about the physiology prereqs as it says 2 required and one must be a 300 level. I will be finishing A&P by December but am wondering what other classes others are using that can be used for the second course? I also see it says all prereqs must be done before submitting and none can be graduate courses. That would be the only reason I wouldn't be able to apply this year. 

I attended their webinar yesterday and during the Q&A session someone asked if genetics would qualify for the 2nd physiology requirement. Dr. G. said yes but it must be higher than a 300 level. So you may want to inquiry about that if this apply to you. I was told that they do plan on sending out the link to the webinar recording from 1/14/2020. Here is the link to the 12/17/19 webinar, which I also attended-- different Q&A questions than yesterday. But worth listening to if you have time.

https://primetime.bluejeans.com/a2m/events/playback/11d3ca39-7a51-4a7d-9246-4ffbaa964163

I submitted my application today. Good luck everyone!

Edited by idau85
misspelling
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bwatt25 said:

For the first supplemental essay on CASPA, did you guys write about multiple characteristics and qualities you possess, or did you do one and write a story about it? I am struggling to write this one for some reason!

I looked at the mission and try to incorporate one story of how I would fit. I think if there is one story then it would be best use of the limited character count (blank space included). But if you can't find one story, then maybe a few. See below, or the link above. 

To achieve our mission we will:

  • Prepare a diverse PA workforce to serve the patient-centered needs and public health of the local, state and national communities.
  • Educate students to utilize evidenced-based decision-making and problem solving that allows for safe, affordable practice of medicine in a changing health care environment, with an emphasis on self-assessment that promotes continuous improvement. 
  • Educate and encourage students to provide culturally competent and team-based care with a commitment to caring for all individuals.
  • Prepare graduates who are creative leaders who advocate for and are civically engaged in their practice as clinicians, administrators, academicians, and researchers who contribute to the PA profession.
  • Develop and support faculty members to achieve excellence in teaching, service and scholarship. 
  • Support PA Program graduates and faculty in lifelong learning.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, idau85 said:

I looked at the mission and try to incorporate one story of how I would fit. I think if there is one story then it would be best use of the limited character count (blank space included). But if you can't find one story, then maybe a few. See below, or the link above. 

To achieve our mission we will:

  • Prepare a diverse PA workforce to serve the patient-centered needs and public health of the local, state and national communities.
  • Educate students to utilize evidenced-based decision-making and problem solving that allows for safe, affordable practice of medicine in a changing health care environment, with an emphasis on self-assessment that promotes continuous improvement. 
  • Educate and encourage students to provide culturally competent and team-based care with a commitment to caring for all individuals.
  • Prepare graduates who are creative leaders who advocate for and are civically engaged in their practice as clinicians, administrators, academicians, and researchers who contribute to the PA profession.
  • Develop and support faculty members to achieve excellence in teaching, service and scholarship. 
  • Support PA Program graduates and faculty in lifelong learning.

 

 

I meant for the quality and characteristics question, not the mission one!

 

 

"What unique characteristics and qualities do you bring to the UM-Flint PA program and the PA profession? (2000 characters)"

Edited by Bwatt25
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Bwatt25 said:

I meant for the quality and characteristics question, not the mission one!

 

 

"What unique characteristics and qualities do you bring to the UM-Flint PA program and the PA profession? (2000 characters)"

Hi, yes I incorporated multiple characteristics and qualities into a short narrative.

Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Edited by teasiasmith1130
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • By WomenOfSTEM
      I am a member of AAPA and maybe I am unfamiliar with the website, but I want to make the most learning from the site and using it.
      How do PA-S or PA-C use it? As a Pre-PA how can I use the site and its resources to help?
      I appreciate it!
    • By VirginiaTech117
      Hey guys my name is Geena and I'm a PA at a primary care in Philadelphia. We are currently hiring scribes and medical assistants (no experience required- we will train). This is a great opportunity for pre-PA's who need experience hours! Message me for details 🙂
    • By LCMoon85
      I saw a thread started somewhere but it wasn’t connected to this board. 
       
      I feel like we are slacking this year! Where is everyone?? 😂 
    • By Gratefulguy
      Hi guys, 
      I didn't see a new thread. Hope this helps you guys. Just like in previous years they are moving forward, but it may look a bit different because COVID seems to be slowing down. Here's the email I received on 5/11/2021. I submitted my application on 5/3/2021 and verified on 5/11/2021. 
       
      Thank you for applying to the Radford University Carilion PA program. This email is to let you know that your application is complete, has been marked as "Verified", and we have received your RU supplemental application. Your application will be put in a queue to be reviewed. You may still provide updates to your application through the CASPA website.
      Once applications are reviewed, we will make decisions on whom to interview. Our earliest interview dates will be in September. As we don't yet have exact dates selected for interviews, we will likely make offers for interviews in early July at the soonest.
      We will send out periodic updates to keep you apprised of your status. However, with the necessary changes in how we accomplish our tasks, those updates may not be as frequent as we would like them to be. We are happy to answer any questions that come up, and you are welcome to email me at rhadley1@radford.edu.
      Thank you,
      Bob Hadley
    • By trusttheprocess95
      Hello all!
      Has anyone taken Organic Chemistry 1 and 2 at the Open Learning Academy at Doane? I'm exploring my options, but leaning more towards Doane at the moment. ANY type of feedback regarding the course or other schools ya'll may have completed it at would be greatly APPRECIATED! 
      Thank you so much in advance 
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More