Telephone interview for an ortho position.

I am a PA-S (graduating at the end of the year), and have started sending out resumes (I like to be early). I have received a telephone interview with a health care system that I had previously been employed with for an orthopedic position. What kind of questions should I be expecting during a telephone interview? Should I expect scenarios or more "What makes you right for this position?" type of questions. Also, do they usually ask about expected salaries? I looked at last years AAPA salary ($105,000 average). Should I ask for the "average" as a new grad? I live in NC. Thanks for the advice!

Just standard interview questions and specifically why ortho and why that area. I did a Skype interview before I moved from my PA school state to my home school state, it was pretty informal. Glad I wore pants (seriously considered not wearing them) because I ended up having to stand up to get my phone as the sound wasn't working and we used the computer for video and the phone for sound haha.

Sometimes phone interviews are pre-screens by HR and are general interview/job/personality questions.  

You're getting ahead of yourself with the salary.  A general rule is to let them throw out the first number anyway and often isn't done until they want to extend an offer of employment.

Salary did come up for me during my phone (Skype) interview. HR lady asked what I was looking for. I said it depends on the whole compensation package including benefits but that if they think I'm the right person for the job I'm sure we can come to an agreement. She then said they don't negotiate and outlined their offer for new grads (which was a solid offer) and I took it. They hired two other new grads a couple months later and they got the same deal.

Archived