Any PAs in Ophthalmology?

I have a full time job (ortho) which I enjoy. I spoke today to a ophthalmology practice. They're looking to possibly hire a PA. Maybe I can do weekends in the beginning. Anyway, this would be their first PA (a couple of docs and 3-5 optometrists) and they were wondering how the PA would fit in. I know there isn't that many PAs in eye, but for those that are in it can you describe your job duties and responsibilities? Do you see patients in clinic? Assist in cataract/retina surgery? Do pre-op H&Ps? Do intravitreous injections? This particular practice also does botox, so I would probable be doing that too. Any help would be appreciated? I have 3 years experience as an MA for a retina practice before PA school so ophthalmology isn't foreign to me, but is a big shift compared to what I'm doing now.

9 minutes ago, CAdamsPAC said:

I heard years ago that Ophthalmologist already have a corps of PAs, they're called Optometrist! LOL!

Ha, I know! Unfortunately I didn't go to school for 3 (4?) years to learn refraction so I'm SOL there. But as far as I know optometrist cant do intravitreous injections, botox injections, assist in surgery, etc. Maybe I'm wrong.

12 minutes ago, AbeTheBabe said:

Ha, I know! Unfortunately I didn't go to school for 3 (4?) years to learn refraction so I'm SOL there. But as far as I know optometrist cant do intravitreous injections, botox injections, assist in surgery, etc. Maybe I'm wrong.

You can't be wrong by opening up new practice opportunities for PAs.

Archived