A calling? A job?

Guest ral

Is medicine a calling, or a job?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Is medicine a calling, or a job?

• Calling. I cannot see myself doing anything else that is this fulfilling. Good for the soul, I say. #Maslow#Actualization
    • Job. It pays the bills. Period. No different than going out and digging ditches or selling furniture, in exchange for a paycheck. It just happens to pay a little better. #ShowMeTheMoney

I didn't vote because it goes both ways for me. It started out as a calling but now that I have been practicing for 5 years and I am realizing that medicine is become more of a customer service than true medicine practicing (its a sad truth) some days I feel like it is just a job (one that I enjoy for the most part though). I would not be happy sitting at a desk crunching numbers lets say that. At it does feel pretty darn good when you realized you helped someone feel better

It's not quite as binary as the poll, but for me anyway, it's a job. It's always been a job.

That said there are good and bad jobs, everyone knows that. I can tell you this is a hell of a lot better than swinging a hammer in steel-toed work boots in the blazing hot sun with a bunch of knuckle-draggers for 50 hours a week. 

Very few people actually get paid to do a calling. This is a fallacy of western culture; we think there is a paid vocation out there that will match our preexisting passions, and it just isnt true. Work is a fact of life, and if you get to do something you  really like and find lasting meaning in then you should count yourself as blessed. 

Meaningful work is mostly about fit, no doubt, but also a good dose of attitude and your philosophical approach to life. 

Archived