Practice Standards for PAs in EM?

I noticed that AAENP (American Academy of Emergency Nurse Practitioners) came out with a nicely done, to-the-point practice standards PDF for all ENPs to use when applying for a new EM job that maybe has never hired a NP to work in the ER. 

My question. Does AAPA or SEMPA have any similar document that can be used to highlight what PAs are capable of performing in the ER? 

This link is the ENP practice standards. http://aaenp-natl.starchapter.com/images/downloads/Practice/practice_standards_for_the_emergency_nurse_practitioner.pdf?platform=hootsuite

There are plenty of articles out there on the quality of work done by PAs in EM and how they measure up well when compared head to head with EM residents. This is probably my favorite:

Role of Physician Assistants in the accident and emergency departments in the UK
Ansari U, Ansari M, Gipson K. Accident and Emergency Department; Warwick Hospital, UK
Published in 11th International Conference on Emergency Medicine, Halifax, Nova SCotia, Canada, June 3-7 2006 and Journal of Canadian Emergency Medicine, May 2006, Vol 8 No 3 (Suppl) P583

Introduction: The Accident and Emergency departments in the UK are under severe pressure to expand their staffing levels in a bid to try and comply with the 98% target for 4-hour waiting times set by the government. Increasing staffing levels is proving to be very difficult when a majority of Staff Grades have already left or are leaving to become General Practitioners for financial gains and better working hours. This combined with a limited number of FY2 doctors being allowed to work in Accident and Emergency departments poses new challenges to staffing within Accident and Emergency. The objective of this study was to evaluate the training requirements, GMC regulations and supervision required to perform a suitable role in Accident and EMergency following the appointment of two Physician Assistants at City Hospital, Birmingham. Methods: The activities of two Physician Assistants at City Hospital were monitored for two months. All case records were reviewed and the number and type of patients seen by the assistants recorded. These were then compared with the records of those patients seen by Senior House Officers. Monitored information included number of patients seen, type of patients seen as well as the quality of the notes. Results: On average, Physician Assistants at City Hospital treated 3-5 patients/hour compared to 1.5-2.5/hour seen by Senior House Officers. Physician Assistants were able to deal with most medical, surgical, orthopaedic and gynaecological problems with minimal supervision. The medical records revealed that documentation was better by Physician Assistants. Conclusion: Senior Physician Assistants from the USA are an effective way to improve staffing within Accident and Emergency Departments with the UK. Physician Assistants saw more patients and required less supervision than Senior House Officers. Physician Assistants proved to be a cost effective method of supporting Accident and Emergency doctors at City Hospital, Birmingham.

8 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

There are plenty of articles out there on the quality of work done by PAs in EM and how they measure up well when compared head to head with EM residents. This is probably my favorite:

Role of Physician Assistants in the accident and emergency departments in the UK
Ansari U, Ansari M, Gipson K. Accident and Emergency Department; Warwick Hospital, UK
Published in 11th International Conference on Emergency Medicine, Halifax, Nova SCotia, Canada, June 3-7 2006 and Journal of Canadian Emergency Medicine, May 2006, Vol 8 No 3 (Suppl) P583

Introduction: The Accident and Emergency departments in the UK are under severe pressure to expand their staffing levels in a bid to try and comply with the 98% target for 4-hour waiting times set by the government. Increasing staffing levels is proving to be very difficult when a majority of Staff Grades have already left or are leaving to become General Practitioners for financial gains and better working hours. This combined with a limited number of FY2 doctors being allowed to work in Accident and Emergency departments poses new challenges to staffing within Accident and Emergency. The objective of this study was to evaluate the training requirements, GMC regulations and supervision required to perform a suitable role in Accident and EMergency following the appointment of two Physician Assistants at City Hospital, Birmingham. Methods: The activities of two Physician Assistants at City Hospital were monitored for two months. All case records were reviewed and the number and type of patients seen by the assistants recorded. These were then compared with the records of those patients seen by Senior House Officers. Monitored information included number of patients seen, type of patients seen as well as the quality of the notes. Results: On average, Physician Assistants at City Hospital treated 3-5 patients/hour compared to 1.5-2.5/hour seen by Senior House Officers. Physician Assistants were able to deal with most medical, surgical, orthopaedic and gynaecological problems with minimal supervision. The medical records revealed that documentation was better by Physician Assistants. Conclusion: Senior Physician Assistants from the USA are an effective way to improve staffing within Accident and Emergency Departments with the UK. Physician Assistants saw more patients and required less supervision than Senior House Officers. Physician Assistants proved to be a cost effective method of supporting Accident and Emergency doctors at City Hospital, Birmingham.

Preaching to the choir my brother!

6 hours ago, telemedic said:

I was on the board of sempa when these were written. We had a guy on the board at the time from Wisconsin who really wanted us to recommend the CALS course ( a course essentially only available in Minnesota or Wisconsin). Looks like a decent course, but if you have acls/atls/pals/difficult airway/fccs/abls it is probably redundant. The class that should be on that list, but isn't is ALSO, the adv life support course in obstetrics. 

I was on the board of sempa when these were written. We had a guy on the board at the time from Wisconsin who really wanted us to recommend the CALS course ( a course essentially only available in Minnesota or Wisconsin). Looks like a decent course, but if you have acls/atls/pals/difficult airway/fccs/abls it is probably redundant. The class that should be on that list, but isn't is ALSO, the adv life support course in obstetrics. 

I've done CALS (Required at my current WI job). It's actually a GREAT course and really ties ACLS, PALS, NRP, ATLS together. It's not a replacement for any of those courses, but allows for more integration of the courses with each other practically.

6 minutes ago, ajnelson said:

I've done CALS (Required at my current WI job). It's actually a GREAT course and really ties ACLS, PALS, NRP, ATLS together. It's not a replacement for any of those courses, but allows for more integration of the courses with each other practically.

Unfortunately, only offered in WI and MN. I would take it if I lived there, for the money though(probably $2500+ for the course, airfare, car, hotel, etc) I would rather attend a week long conference somewhere. That is why I thought it was silly to make it part of the SEMPA standards. 

Unfortunately, only offered in WI and MN. I would take it if I lived there, for the money though(probably $2500+ for the course, airfare, car, hotel, etc) I would rather attend a week long conference somewhere. That is why I thought it was silly to make it part of the SEMPA standards. 

Oh, I completely agree. It's paid for by my job, otherwise I wouldn't spend money on it either. Unless it's a nationally available/accessible course making it part of the standards seems silly.
It would be nice to see it become a larger course though!

Archived