GI Offer (2nd Job)

Any input much appreciated. I have no GI experience.

Specialty: GI Inpatient

Salary: $106,000 (extra 4k added to base if employee cannot contribute towards health plan)

Hours: Rotating schedule NO HOLIDAYS unless already scheduled off for it, 7 days off in a 4 week period (at least 2 weekends off). 8AM-4PM (average week 42 hours)

Night Call: 2 weekends every 4 weeks, limited to pager calls (NO ED consults)

Vacation: 3 weeks off

CME: $1000 1 week off in subsequent 2nd year and onward.

Health Insurance: 4k maximum can be contributed

Retirement: To be determined

Other Variables: Good communication among the team, good boss, my friend is the other PA in the group.

1 hour ago, Ikaruga102 said:

Any input much appreciated. I have no GI experience.

Specialty: GI Inpatient

Salary: $106,000 (extra 4k added to base if employee cannot contribute towards health plan)

Hours: Rotating schedule, 7 days off in a 4 week period (at least 2 weekends off). 8AM-4PM (average week 42 hours)

Night Coverage: 2 weekends every 4 weeks, limited to pager calls (NO ED consults)

Vacation: 3 weeks off

CME: $1000 1 week off in subsequent 2nd year and onward.

Health Insurance: 4k maximum can be contributed

Retirement: To be determined

Other Variables: Good communication among the team, good boss, my friend is the other PA in the group.

How much PA experience do you have in general?

106k not bad, would see if I could negotiate up to 110k or maybe try and add a bonus structure if a lot of procedures are expected. So you are doing 2 night weekends per month? (for a total of 4 weekend night shifts)? Seems pretty steep without extra compensation.

Just for comparison sake, I know a new grad who recently signed a GI contract for 117k, 13 12-hour shifts per month, 4 weekend shifts and 2 night shifts. 

not a bad offer overall.. still would try to get compensated extra for the night call, for me personally at least. Whether you go in or not, you're still limited as to what you can do that night cause you have to be ready to answer the call. That dinner with family or night out with friends may be disturbed by multiple calls on a busy night. 

Guest HanSolo

Not bad pay if relative to COL in your area. Working with good people makes the job. See if you can get more PTO or 5-10k more in pay. 

2 weekends a month is a lot of call. That will get old quickly. 

Agree with Han's post. Also, verify 401k. Two weekends a month of call plus working 6-day weeks on some weeks (assuming based on the rotating schedule) will get old, so ask for some more. Ask your friend what the typical schedule is like to see if it will be something you want to do month after month.

Archived