Anyone in PA school without support nearby?

After going through a whirl wind of trying to figure life out I decided to apply to PA schools May 2017. I went through interviews and got put on some wait lists at schools close to me but got accepted to one that's much farther (10 hour drive, 1.5 hour plane). I'm not having too much hope with the one waitlisted school that hasn't already started their semester, so I've accepted that I'll have to go to the one farther away. I know I'm incredibly lucky with my opportunity to start PA school and being accepted on my first try, I'm just scared. I recently got married and my husband is in his last year of medical school and we will have to do long distance until I finish. I'm leaving all of my friends and family and feeling super guilty that I can't be there for my spouse when he graduates med school or starts medical residency and I feel like I am basically going to be moving somewhere unfamiliar and going through school completely alone. 
Anyone have advice if they went to school far from home without knowing anyone nearby and staying alone? 

All my family and friends live in California and I got into 1 PA school last May: in Ohio. I didn’t know a soul, but I wasn’t going to pass up that kind of opportunity. I made good friends with my classmates, and thanks to technology, I’m able to keep in touch with those back home. Now I’m in my clinical year and I have moved to Kentucky for my rotations, where I still don’t know any one. I’m the only one in my class to be doing my rotations here. It’s tough not knowing anyone, but it allows me to focus on my school. It’s definitely doable, to be in PA school with friends and family so far away. And it’s only 2 years!

1 hour ago, KindnessMatters said:

After going through a whirl wind of trying to figure life out I decided to apply to PA schools May 2017. I went through interviews and got put on some wait lists at schools close to me but got accepted to one that's much farther (10 hour drive, 1.5 hour plane). I'm not having too much hope with the one waitlisted school that hasn't already started their semester, so I've accepted that I'll have to go to the one farther away. I know I'm incredibly lucky with my opportunity to start PA school and being accepted on my first try, I'm just scared. I recently got married and my husband is in his last year of medical school and we will have to do long distance until I finish. I'm leaving all of my friends and family and feeling super guilty that I can't be there for my spouse when he graduates med school or starts medical residency and I feel like I am basically going to be moving somewhere unfamiliar and going through school completely alone. 
Anyone have advice if they went to school far from home without knowing anyone nearby and staying alone? 

I did almost the opposite! I wanted to leave my home state which meant leaving my single mom (I'm an only child) and my 6-year relationship boyfriend. I applied twice. My first cycle I got waitlisted at two schools in my home state and declined at 3 schools out of state. When I applied the second go around, I knew UAB was my top choice and one of the furthest schools. I ended up getting into UAB and USC. (USC is in my home state) I asked my boyfriend one last time before declining USC if the distance would be an issue. He told me to go wherever my heart desired. That choice was UAB...2100 miles away from where we share a home together. I like the adventure of going somewhere where I don't know anyone, but I didn't get to leave home for my undergrad so this was my chance! My boyfriend and I eloped a few weeks before I left, so we're married now. His job allows him to come out and see me often, so the distance for us won't be an issue. Plus I need someone to help me pay the bills ? Furthermore, that first semester you're going to need to focus and have the least amount of distractions. So distance works in our favor. I totally think its doable because its completely temporary. However, since you are married, if he isn't comfortable with that decision then you may need to reevaluate. Maybe he can apply for residency programs near where you will be going to school? What I've learned through the two cycles I applied is choose a school or go to a program that you truly want to go. Not only is PA school a financial strain, but you should attend a program where you believe in their mission and were you will become an incredible future provider. For me, USC was close to home and my husband, but I knew I would be miserable there. I didn't fit in at the interview nor do I have any ties to their mission statement. If you do decide not to attend this program you got into that could be a huge talking point in your mission statement/supplementals/interviews the next cycle you apply. Just a thought. 

3 hours ago, ak004 said:

All my family and friends live in California and I got into 1 PA school last May: in Ohio. I didn’t know a soul, but I wasn’t going to pass up that kind of opportunity. I made good friends with my classmates, and thanks to technology, I’m able to keep in touch with those back home. Now I’m in my clinical year and I have moved to Kentucky for my rotations, where I still don’t know any one. I’m the only one in my class to be doing my rotations here. It’s tough not knowing anyone, but it allows me to focus on my school. It’s definitely doable, to be in PA school with friends and family so far away. And it’s only 2 years!

Wow..that move from cali to ohio must've been brutal haha. I keep telling myself it is only two years, and I know it'll go by fast. Best of luck to you finishing up rotations and graduating. ?

1 hour ago, mtorr_ca said:

I did almost the opposite! I wanted to leave my home state which meant leaving my single mom (I'm an only child) and my 6-year relationship boyfriend. I applied twice. My first cycle I got waitlisted at two schools in my home state and declined at 3 schools out of state. When I applied the second go around, I knew UAB was my top choice and one of the furthest schools. I ended up getting into UAB and USC. (USC is in my home state) I asked my boyfriend one last time before declining USC if the distance would be an issue. He told me to go wherever my heart desired. That choice was UAB...2100 miles away from where we share a home together. I like the adventure of going somewhere where I don't know anyone, but I didn't get to leave home for my undergrad so this was my chance! My boyfriend and I eloped a few weeks before I left, so we're married now. His job allows him to come out and see me often, so the distance for us won't be an issue. Plus I need someone to help me pay the bills ? Furthermore, that first semester you're going to need to focus and have the least amount of distractions. So distance works in our favor. I totally think its doable because its completely temporary. However, since you are married, if he isn't comfortable with that decision then you may need to reevaluate. Maybe he can apply for residency programs near where you will be going to school? What I've learned through the two cycles I applied is choose a school or go to a program that you truly want to go. Not only is PA school a financial strain, but you should attend a program where you believe in their mission and were you will become an incredible future provider. For me, USC was close to home and my husband, but I knew I would be miserable there. I didn't fit in at the interview nor do I have any ties to their mission statement. If you do decide not to attend this program you got into that could be a huge talking point in your mission statement/supplementals/interviews the next cycle you apply. Just a thought. 

I definitely do want to attend PA school now and not go through another application cycle. My husband is completely supportive and tells me to go since he's busy too and we are both trying to have success in our future careers. I'll keep that in mind that it is temporary and a chance to be selfish and focus. Thank you ? 

1 hour ago, KindnessMatters said:

Wow..that move from cali to ohio must've been brutal haha. I keep telling myself it is only two years, and I know it'll go by fast. Best of luck to you finishing up rotations and graduating. ?

I definitely do want to attend PA school now and not go through another application cycle. My husband is completely supportive and tells me to go since he's busy too and we are both trying to have success in our future careers. I'll keep that in mind that it is temporary and a chance to be selfish and focus. Thank you ? 

You're welcome! Best of luck!

I went to PA school in NY while my girlfriend moved out to CA by herself for PA school. From a long distance relationship standpoint, it worked out. We saw each other on breaks and we would call each other daily for support. Since we were both in PA school, we knew that we would have a ton of work and pretty much knew what to expect from each other.

From what she told me, having little family/support nearby was definitely hard on her at first. But she made friends quickly with her classmates and now they are some of her best friends. 

Honestly you will find people who will help you get through the tough times. Many students in your program are probably going through the same things. Your husband and family are always a phone call away. Just know that after you're done, you can be reunited with family and have endless opportunities awaiting. My girlfriend and I are now both living in NYC near all our family/friends, and both have wonderful lucrative careers. 

On 7/5/2018 at 1:57 PM, PACJD said:

I went to PA school in NY while my girlfriend moved out to CA by herself for PA school. From a long distance relationship standpoint, it worked out. We saw each other on breaks and we would call each other daily for support. Since we were both in PA school, we knew that we would have a ton of work and pretty much knew what to expect from each other.

From what she told me, having little family/support nearby was definitely hard on her at first. But she made friends quickly with her classmates and now they are some of her best friends. 

Honestly you will find people who will help you get through the tough times. Many students in your program are probably going through the same things. Your husband and family are always a phone call away. Just know that after you're done, you can be reunited with family and have endless opportunities awaiting. My girlfriend and I are now both living in NYC near all our family/friends, and both have wonderful lucrative careers. 

This gives me so much hope. Thank you ?

• 3 weeks later...

I am from Michigan. I had a baby in May and started PA school in Massachusetts in June. All my family lives in Michigan. Just remember that when you live far from home, your friends become your family. Make good friends, lean on one another, and they will see you through everything.

• 3 weeks later...

Prior to be accepted to a PA school no where near home, I was living split between my car and a friends spare bedroom occasionally. I had family issues and couldnt return home basically at all during PA school or rotations. You're busy enough where going home would have been a distraction for me honestly. 

Theres enough studying and chances are you'll make friends with at least a few of the classmates to the point where you will have the support you need.

Archived