Sign in to follow this  
goalsofaPA

Applying to a Surgical Residency

Hello!

I'm currently a PA-S2 at a 33 month program and about to soon go on rotations. From the start, I knew I wanted to go into surgery, it was just deciding which subspecialty I wanted to go into. After doing a lot of research and searching through the forums, I have a couple of programs in mind that sound absolutely amazing, one of them being the Yale program. Does anyone who have gone through a surgical residency or know people who have any insight on what kind of applicants they are looking for? From what I've gathered from posts on ER residencies, ADCOMS look at: 

- GPA 

- LORs 

- General interest in the specialty: prior experience, rotations during clinical year 

- Personal Statement and the interview

Is it fair to say it is similar to what surgical residency programs are looking for? Fortunately, my program is contracted with Norwalk Hospital at Yale where the residency is located and I am definitely will be rotating through there for my general surgery rotation in the coming months. Thanks again for all your advice! ?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By UpperLeftPAC
      Well, I've decided for certain that I am going to do an EM residency. My fiance and I have discussed this at length and he's fully in support, but with a caveat that he needs to be making more money to make up for my temporarily lost income first. Also, we are getting married in September of this year so we need to get that done first! He's an airline pilot and will be experiencing very sizable raises as he gains seniority in the upcoming months/years so I'm not worried that he won't be able to make up for my income, and I suspect that I would be able to start sometime around summer/fall of 2020 or maybe early 2021.
      That said, I'd like to make my application as competitive as possible. I have the impression that there is less competition for most residences than there is for PA school, but I am sure that will continue to change with time. I would hate to be building up to this plan and find myself behind the curve. I'm looking for input from anyone who has done any residency, and specifically EM of course. I work as a hospitalist currently, trying to pick up some UC or family medicine per diem work. What can I do to bolster an application? I am hoping to hit up the SEMPA EM bootcamp this summer and also plan to attend their conference next year. I don't know the likelihood that I'll be able to find EM work as someone who works full time in another specialty and has no EM experience outside of rotations in school, but if I have an opportunity I'll take it. Otherwise, just looking for ideas... 
    • By boomboompaopao
      Hello All,

Our Cardiothoracic Surgery Group at St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa, Florida is looking to add another PA. We currently have 3 Surgeons and 4 PA's. Salary is based on experience. If you or anyone you know may be interested, feel free to shoot me an email. Thanks!

Paolo Calizo, PA-C
      paopaocali@gmail.com
    • By boomboompaopao
      Hello All,

Our Cardiothoracic Surgery Group at St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa, Florida is looking to add another PA. We currently have 3 Surgeons and 4 PA's. Salary is based on experience. If you or anyone you know may be interested, feel free to shoot me an email. Thanks!

Paolo Calizo, PA-C
      paopaocali@gmail.com
    • By apthepa
      Hi guys! I'm sharing some resume writing tips on the blog this week for new graduate PAs. I'm no professional by any means but since a lot of people on instagram asked how I made my resume, I'm simply sharing what all I included in mine. Be sure to check it out if you're interested! Thanks 🙂

https://apthepa.blogspot.com/2019/01/physician-assistant-new-graduate-resume.html
    • By ChristopherNewman
      The University of Colorado School of Medicine and Childrens Hospital Colorado are pleased to announce that applications for our Inpatient Advanced Practitioner Fellowship are now being accepted. This is a 1 year program, open to PAs and acute care NPs that combines diverse clinical and didactic experiences to help prepare new or recent graduates looking for a career in an inpatient pediatric specialty. More information can be found at: http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/colleges/medicalschool/departments/pediatrics/meded/fellowships/app-fellowship/Pages/default.aspx
      We enrolled our first cohort October 15th and are now recruiting for next year's cohort. Currently, there are two slots per cohort, although we hope to expand to four soon. While this is a new program, it was developed by critical care and hospital medicine faculty that have been training APPs to work in our environment for many years. Post-graduate training isn't for everyone, but we believe that there are talented, intereste new graduates who may lack the experience or exposure to land a career in a tertiary care academic pediatric medical center and we want to help them get there. Please use the contact address through the web site for inquiries, or post here and I will do my best to answer.
      Chris

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More