Meharry School of Medicine

I’m confused about the entire process at this point 🙃 

The inaugural class should be starting in January 2020, is that still true? Did anyone even interview? 

Their meeting for accreditation was in September.... have they heard anything back? 

I applied for the class that was to start January 2021 in like May and received an email saying that I’d get the supplemental is September but I haven’t received that or any other information. I call and never get an answer. 
🤔🤷🏾‍♀️

Class will definitely not be starting 1/2020 lol interviews are guaranteed, but still postponed. What I’ve gathered is that the program is basically at the mercy of the ARC-PA and not even the PD knows the exact timeline - which is probably why they haven’t reached out to the applicants yet. They likely don’t have an update from the ARC-PA. This is why it’s a gamble applying to developing programs. They turn in their proposed curriculum and the board may decide they are within the standards that are required for accreditation or they may ask for updated reports- and this process can go around in circles. It seems as though Meharry needs to turn in some updates. When I spoke to the director he said they weren’t denied, but they were waiting on something (was vague about what exactly). It could be a month or it could be a year, is basically what he said. He sounded a little frustrated with the process (IMO) and understandably. Again, it’s up to the ARC-PA. What does this mean for the second round of applicants? I’m not sure, but the start date will more than likely be pushed back. How far is the question. Jan 2021 is a plausible start date for the first cohort per PD. Personally, I am being proactive in the event that this drags on. 

On a positive note, at least we know our PA schools’ standards are high and the education will be up to par. No one can just create a program all willy nilly lol

Also, lucky for us they didn’t go through with interviews and pick the inaugural class. I learned another program did this, but never got accredited and decided to drop the entire program - big yikes.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, HeyPA said:

I’m confused about the entire process at this point 🙃 

The inaugural class should be starting in January 2020, is that still true? Did anyone even interview? 

Their meeting for accreditation was in September.... have they heard anything back? 

I applied for the class that was to start January 2021 in like May and received an email saying that I’d get the supplemental is September but I haven’t received that or any other information. I call and never get an answer. 
🤔🤷🏾‍♀️

Same! Also applied for second class the first day the application opened. Have not heard a peep but I also have not been messaging much since I know they are focused on accreditation and 1st class. Not sure what is going to happen to my app since they closed the second cycle much earlier. I am hoping it works out and our apps are still considered, but at this point I'm preparing for applications for next cycle. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, JoFrank70 said:

Can we still apply this cycle? Is the deadline still 3-01-2020? They have not updated their site to reflect any changes, and CASPA's liaison portal reads "program closed." I was really hoping to apply soon before the deadline. This gutted me..

They changed the deadline to November 2019, so it has passed. 

23 hours ago, prePALana said:

Class will definitely not be starting 1/2020 lol interviews are guaranteed, but still postponed. What I’ve gathered is that the program is basically at the mercy of the ARC-PA and not even the PD knows the exact timeline - which is probably why they haven’t reached out to the applicants yet. They likely don’t have an update from the ARC-PA. This is why it’s a gamble applying to developing programs. They turn in their proposed curriculum and the board may decide they are within the standards that are required for accreditation or they may ask for updated reports- and this process can go around in circles. It seems as though Meharry needs to turn in some updates. When I spoke to the director he said they weren’t denied, but they were waiting on something (was vague about what exactly). It could be a month or it could be a year, is basically what he said. He sounded a little frustrated with the process (IMO) and understandably. Again, it’s up to the ARC-PA. What does this mean for the second round of applicants? I’m not sure, but the start date will more than likely be pushed back. How far is the question. Jan 2021 is a plausible start date for the first cohort per PD. Personally, I am being proactive in the event that this drags on. 

On a positive note, at least we know our PA schools’ standards are high and the education will be up to par. No one can just create a program all willy nilly lol

Also, lucky for us they didn’t go through with interviews and pick the inaugural class. I learned another program did this, but never got accredited and decided to drop the entire program - big yikes.

Thanks for the responses! This is pretty much what my conversation eluded to as well. I can tell they are being left hanging in some regard. I went online to the ARC-PA site and saw that they were still under the list for developing prgrams, so I've decided until they give me a definite NO I'm hoping for the best.

I'm also really happy they haven't enrolled us without first navigating through these issues. I have heard of that same kind of incident and was hoping they wouldn't be in the same circumstance. Despite all the confusion I'm really hoping it is carried forward!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JoFrank70 said:

I think the program is shutting down.

Screenshot_20191206-134207.png

Yikes, I honestly hope this isn't true. I checked the ARC-PA site and it still has it listed under applicant programs awaiting provisional credit. Hopefully it is just referring to the current cycle attempting to apply on CASPA. They may have needed to remove it from CASPA because they haven't gotten the first class finalized.

Regardless, thank you for this. At least I won't be completely shocked if it is the case.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2019 at 6:26 AM, Shiregis1022 said:

So what does that mean for those granted interviews. Will we have to reapply again. I'm so confused 

21 hours ago, 1dahardway said:

That's a good question. What are they going to do for the folks with interviews. I guess we can email/call the program.

I agree, it is very confusing. Especially since I was one of the ones who was offered an interview but have yet to receive an email from them. I feel as if we should be one of the first to be notified given the conversation with the PD as he mentioned they will notify us right away with more information. 

Based in them withdrawing their spoilation application, I don't think any applicants are being considered at this time.

This is sad and puzzling as they have an existing medical school. They should be a leg up on most new programs.

Lipscomb somehow got their application approved without the benefit of a pre-existing medical school.

On 12/20/2019 at 2:00 AM, Shiregis1022 said:

Call me crazy

I just have a feeling (hope) that those invited for interview who are still available we will hear something some time next year. Maybe right before or after the accreditation meeting 2020. I'm trying to keep the faith

🤞🏾🤞🏾🤞🏾😊

I was hoping the same! 🤞🏾🤞🏾🤞🏾

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@Shiregis1022 @LisaT Have either of you called or emailed? I'm thinking I will call this week. I completely understand how the accreditation process can be taxing but it's frustrating that they haven't given us a single update since our calls in November yet they sent an email out to those who applied to the cycle after us. I'm trying to stay hopeful as well though...I will post back when I get through to them!

@ytheros Thanks for agreeing to post here. It has been a frustrating process with Meharry. You would think with them having a medical school already they would have a clear path to accreditation. And if not, then at least provide better communication than what we have seen. Makes me wonder how organized the program would be if we got in anyway.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ytheros said:

@Shiregis1022 @LisaT Have either of you called or emailed? I'm thinking I will call this week. I completely understand how the accreditation process can be taxing but it's frustrating that they haven't given us a single update since our calls in November yet they sent an email out to those who applied to the cycle after us. I'm trying to stay hopeful as well though...I will post back when I get through to them!

I tried calling no response so far. If you hear anything please let us know 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I've been calling both admissions and the director but have only gotten their voicemail. I was hoping to post back with some info so I've been trying over the past two weeks and nothing...I guess I will just keep calling. If anyone is able to reach them, an update here would be greatly appreciated!