Meharry School of Medicine

45 minutes ago, ytheros said:

@gala9944 @kmathis Would you mind sharing the overall gist of the phone call/if program is still going to start as planned? I completely understand specifics may be confidential. I'm still waiting for my call and would very much appreciate any info as I originally had an international trip planned to see family before the start date in January 😕

They’re gonna push the start date back because he said it would be unrealistic to interview people after thanksgiving and make decisions and people only have a couple of weeks to find places to live. So interviews will be after the first of the year more than likely.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, kmathis said:

They’re gonna push the start date back because he said it would be unrealistic to interview people after thanksgiving and make decisions and people only have a couple of weeks to find places to live. So interviews will be after the first of the year more than likely.

I am so happy to hear that they will still be doing interviews and starting the class! I was wondering what would happen if they had to pool 2 year of applicants for seats if this class didn't start. I hope you all the best! 

1 hour ago, Glendah628 said:

I am so happy to hear that they will still be doing interviews and starting the class! I was wondering what would happen if they had to pool 2 year of applicants for seats if this class didn't start. I hope you all the best! 

I'm confused.  They are or they aren't starting the first class?  How can they start a class if they weren't accredited?

2 hours ago, ytheros said:

@gala9944 @kmathis Would you mind sharing the overall gist of the phone call/if program is still going to start as planned? I completely understand specifics may be confidential. I'm still waiting for my call and would very much appreciate any info as I originally had an international trip planned to see family before the start date in January 😕

@SamPA95 accredidation is still pending.

I spoke to the director and according to him, ARC PA has not approved or denied them accreditation as of yet. Meharry should hear back from them by the end of this week with the news. 
In the event that they are granted accreditation then they’ll more than likely push their start date to either June or August of 2020. 
In the event that they are denied then they’ll more than likely have to push the start date to Jan 2021. 
Will we have to reapply? It all depends on the institute. His personal opinion is that we shouldn’t bc we were handpicked to interview as their first cohort. However, their is a system of operations that Meharry institute has to abide by so it really depends on what they decide as a whole. If we do have to reapply then more than likely we will he picked again to interview again then. He doesn’t see why not but again, this was all just his personal opinion. 
He is hoping that they will email us all by thanksgiving, if not early December with info regarding the accreditation status since ARC PA does mandate x amount of days before schools can publicly come out about its status since they need to be the first to update it on their site. So now, we just wait lol 

It’s all very political and unfortunately a little out of their control but the PD was very upfront about it all. 

Edited by gala9944
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Glendah628 said:

@Glendah628 it is not a definite thing yet hat they will be starting class. Accredidation is still pending. Please refer to my last response. Hopefully it makes sense.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, gala9944 said:

@SamPA95 accredidation is still pending.

I spoke to the director and according to him, ARC PA has not approved or denied them accreditation as of yet. Meharry should hear back from them by the end of this week with the news. 
In the event that they are granted accreditation then they’ll more than likely push their start date to either June or August of 2020. 
In the event that they are denied then they’ll more than likely have to push the start date to Jan 2021. 
Will we have to reapply? It all depends on the institute. His personal opinion is that we shouldn’t bc we were handpicked to interview as their first cohort. However, their is a system of operations that Meharry institute has to abide by so it really depends on what they decide as a whole. If we do have to reapply then more than likely we will he picked again to interview again then. He doesn’t see why not but again, this was all just his personal opinion. 
He is hoping that they will email us all by thanksgiving, if not early December with info regarding the accreditation status since ARC PA does mandate x amount of days before schools can publicly come out about its status since they need to be the first to update it on their site. So now, we just wait lol 

It’s all very political and unfortunately a little out of their control but the PD was very upfront about it all. 

Thank you so much for this information ! Considering they are approved for accreditation and push back the start dates, does that mean for those of us applying for the "next round" (2021) also should anticipate the application deadline being pushed back from March 1st ?

3 hours ago, sprie010 said:

I spoke to him already. He basically said the same thing as what others mentioned before. However, he said the accreditation was not denied, but they might need to submit more paperwork. They are still starting the program but don't know yet exactly when that will be. They are going to email us all in the next upcoming weeks. 

thank you 

Edited by Shiregis1022

I had my conversation with the director I asked a bunch of questions some he could answer and some he couldn't nevertheless I will recap the questions I asked here.

They are still having a class. I could not find out what the reason for the delay was but I got the impression it was not accreditation related. Maybe something between the PA program and the larger school. Or maybe something facility related. This is a s.w.a.g. (scientific wild ass guess) based on some of the words he used when I asked about the delay. 

I know and they know that many many people were not hearing back from the school in a timely manner. He explained that this was happening because with the original delay of the program, remember this is the second application cycle for Meharry and they are still processing folks from the first application cycle, coupled with the second delay with this term's interviews, the staff was overwhelmed. Now that he has spoken to just about everyone that was offered an interview the demands on the staff with regards to communication, have dropped significantly and the staff should be much more prompt in responding to inquiries going forward. 

Those offered an interview will still get interviews and will not have to re-apply. Unfortunately, there may not be enough interview slots to interview all place everyone from the 1st cycle and from this current cycle, which is the 2nd cycle. So those that applied in this cycle may continue to see a delay in interviews and eventually acceptance into the program. This is my guess. He didn't say that. Just that there and I am paraphrasing, a capacity "opportunity" because there are two cycles worth of applicants and they are still processing the first cycle. I am not sure how the program will remedy this but this is another "opportunity" for the program. 

The start date could be out as far as January 2021 for the first class. It is unclear at this time when the start date of the program will be but January 2021 is definitely on the table and considered to be a viable option. I would prepare ourselves for a January 2021 date. 

Accreditation is not settled. They need to submit some additional paperwork and have it reviewed again but he sounded confident that it was just a matter of paperwork to submit. You can never tell with these things but I got the impression that the paperwork if approved would be the last hurdle to accreditation. 

An email is supposed to come out in the couple of weeks with more information about the interviews and other program updates. They are pushing for before thanksgiving or latest the 1st week of December. 

As for the interview style  I asked him what it would be. I asked if it would be MMI, group, individual, etcetera. And his response was, "Yes". LOL. He said he couldn't share the details of the process. So I guess we should prepare for all of them. So for those of us who have not had an MMI interview or studied them, it is on the table so read up on that. He did say there will be some sort of group work/interview. So as least we know that we will be doing something in a group. Not that we can prepare for that, it is still good to know. 

I think that is all the pertinent details from my conversation. I am writing this pretty late in the evening, so if I misspelled anything forgive me and if I think of anything I didn't mention that might be relevant I will post again here. 

Edited by 1dahardway
  • Upvote 3

@1dahardway I just recently had my conversation with him as well but found he was still kind of vague and I was afraid to press harder for answers lol so thank you for sharing these details! Also as far as interview style, I thought the email that contained our interview schedule had stated we were to have one on one interviews. So from your conversation, do you think it sounds like it could now be subject to change?

4 hours ago, VQueenNerd said:

January 2021 class deadline got changed to Nov. 18, 2019.  When originally it was March 2020.  I emailed the program.  😕

I just went on CASPA and realized the change as well. I am unsure if that is a good or bad sign for the second set of applicants...Please keep us informed if they respond to you. 

• 2 weeks later...