Off duty employment

I am a current PA student and am planning on joining the Navy after school.  I have read articles about Active Duty servicemen and women being approved for off duty employment, but have not been able to see much about off duty employment related to the medical field (per diem urgent care specifically).  I was wondering if any of you military PAs were able to work off duty like that - if it is even possible or realistic.  I am young, inexperienced, uninformed, and likely naïve - and I understand my limited scope.  Please enlighten me to any possibilities, constraints, likelihood of this possibility.  Is it more likely that you would just pick up more shifts through the military base rather than outside it?  Any other information would be helpful.

Thank you to all those who have served to protect our freedoms - we don't thank you enough and take for granted the sacrifices you and your families make.

Happy 4th of July!

29 minutes ago, SMcG8 said:

I am a current PA student and am planning on joining the Navy after school.  I have read articles about Active Duty servicemen and women being approved for off duty employment, but have not been able to see much about off duty employment related to the medical field (per diem urgent care specifically).  I was wondering if any of you military PAs were able to work off duty like that - if it is even possible or realistic.  I am young, inexperienced, uninformed, and likely naïve - and I understand my limited scope.  Please enlighten me to any possibilities, constraints, likelihood of this possibility.  Is it more likely that you would just pick up more shifts through the military base rather than outside it?  Any other information would be helpful.

Thank you to all those who have served to protect our freedoms - we don't thank you enough and take for granted the sacrifices you and your families make.

Happy 4th of July!

You can’t pick up shifts on base for extra pay. That’s double dipping into the govt pot and it’s not allowed. You can’t even take a contractor position until six months after you EAS.

lots of people pick up shifts away from base, but you can’t treat anyone with tricare because, again, double dipping into government funds. 

1 hour ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

lots of people pick up shifts away from base, but you can’t treat anyone with tricare because, again, double dipping into government funds. 

I've read there are some max hours you can work off duty while active.  Do you know how often and how many hours/week or month people usually pick up off duty?

10 minutes ago, SMcG8 said:

I've read there are some max hours you can work off duty while active.  Do you know how often and how many hours/week or month people usually pick up off duty?

Nope. I'm sure its command dependent. Personally I had enough work to do at the hospital. The NP in the same office moonlighted in an urgent care. Never looked that appealing for the money to me, but I value time off a LOT.

Archived