Hi everyone, is there such thing as a pre-pre PA? lol jk

I'm just curious how everyone is calculating their overall science GPA (sGPA). The reason I am asking is because the variety of program requirements that I have looked at all require different science pre-reqs, so when I am seeing people write their stats in, I'm just curious how its all amounting up when every program is different. 

Thank you in advance for any and all input!

It doesn’t matter what the prerequisites are. Your science GPA is calculated based on all the science classes that you took regardless of its a requirement of a specific program. Basically any biology, chemistry, or physics class counts.

https://help.liaisonedu.com/CASPA_Applicant_Help_Center/Submitting_and_Monitoring_Your_CASPA_Application/Verification_and_GPA_Calculations_for_CASPA/2_How_Your_GPA_is_Calculated

Your science GPA will be made up of all the science coursework you have taken throughout your college career.

CASPA defines which courses count towards this GPA and it is not school specific. You can find listings of the courses that count towards your science GPA and more information about the calculations using the link below. 

https://help.liaisonedu.com/CASPA_Applicant_Help_Center/Submitting_and_Monitoring_Your_CASPA_Application/Verification_and_GPA_Calculations_for_CASPA/2_How_Your_GPA_is_Calculated

Thank you! Woud you say any and all appropriate science courses would be calculated? (everything you mentioned + neuroscience, pharmacology, pathophysiology, anatomy of speech mechanisms, etc.?)

2 minutes ago, caligirl707 said:

Thank you! Woud you say any and all appropriate science courses would be calculated? (everything you mentioned + neuroscience, pharmacology, pathophysiology, anatomy of speech mechanisms, etc.?)

You can find the specific courses that CASPA counts as "science" using the link above. That is by far your best resource for this kind of information.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By nakimtang
      Hi everyone, 
      Im a sophomore in college, about to be a junior. I started off in a CC. I’m currently taking a chemistry class that combines OCHEM, biological, and general chem. It is TOUGH! I’m wondering if i’ll make it to PA school. I’m volunteering at a hospital now but have not been going in the last couple of weeks due to having to be at work at 4 am and being completely exhausted after. I am feeling like I don’t have enough time to catch up on volunteering or shadowing. Does anyone have any tips for volunteering and finding someone to shadow? Stories of you also feeling this way? 
      Thanks all, 
      Sienna.
    • By MeganPrePA
      Hello, I am a high school senior that is interested in becoming a PA. I‘m currently in the process of applying to colleges and would like to know what major would be the best for me to pursue. For a little bit of background, I had originally planned on majoring in Biology because I read that it was the most common route taken for PA school( I’m also quite fascinated with biology itself). However, after researching again, I now plan on getting a BSN so that I'll have a backup job in the medical field just in case everything doesn't go as planned. I've read that majoring in Nursing unfortunately doesn't look good because PA schools will question the student's commitment to the PA profession. Personally, I am certain that I want to become a Physician Assistant but I also want to be able to secure a job in the medical field after receiving at least my bachelors. It also seems as though the medical-related jobs that I could get with a Biology degree wouldn't be very patient care related, which is something that I wish to have in a job. Overall, I feel as though I would prosper in a more health-centered major because it relates more to my passion.
      So ultimately, my questions are:
      1. Between majoring in Biology and Nursing, which is the more advantageous route to take in order to become a PA? 
      2. Is there any true disadvantage to having a BSN when it comes to applying to PA schools? 
      3. Are there any other majors that would be a better choice to study than Biology or Nursing?
      I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can get help me out!
    • By Chewbecca
      Hello! I plan on applying to Saint Elizabeth for the 2021 application cycle and I wish to be as prepared as possible. Does anyone have any tips/stats/advice?! Anything is appreciated. Thank you!
    • By naomiesterm
      Hello,
      When I started college, I was in my school's engineering program for 4 years ( with an almost completed minor in Marine Biology). Upon my last year, I changed my major from engineering to Marine Biology. My engineering GPA has forced my overall GPA to be about 2.6. My Marine Biology GPA is above a 3.0. (All of the current pre reqs for PA school that I have taken with the exception of OCHEM 1 (C), have been Bs or better. I did improve from OCHEM 1 to 2 by getting a B)
      I still have to finish my BS in Marine Biology ( graduate in December) but I was thinking about getting an AA degree with surgical tech ( using it to get HCE/PCE by working for a year). 
      Does my AA gpa count as undergrad GPA even though I took it after my bachelor's degree?
      How does my engineering grades affect my CASPA application even though it doesnt apply to my major anymore? ( side note, my university does not replace grades for courses retaken. They simply average the two together)

Thank you in advanced!
      Naomi

• By anhthung25
      Hi everyone! If i can get some guidance from this post, it would help me a lot! I research online and watch you tubes videos of how people with low GPA can still get in. A lot of the videos are quick summary but not detail about what to do or where to start if your GPA is low. My overall is 3.04 . My science alone is 3.5. My associate degree (RRT) was 3.2. During my bachelor I did well with overall 3.7 GPA. I messed up in my younger years making mostly B's and keep an F instead of dropping the class because i was afraid dropping too much classes will not allow me back in school. Should I retake some of my Prerequisites like history, american government, etc. or should  i take more classes that is non-sciences and accepted by CASPA? Should I also take more sciences classes as well? i have 80 hrs of community services, HCE 2000hrs, PCE about 1000 hrs, and i have not taken my GRE yet. i am planning to soon.

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More