Does anyone have any insight to SCU's leniency with regards to the 7-year rule for prerequisites? My two general chemistry classes are 7 months and 2 months outside of this window, and I want to know if this would preclude me from consideration. I've emailed the program twice and left a voicemail message, and I've gotten radio silence. A&P was completed within the past year, and I'm otherwise a strong candidate. Would this still be acceptable for consideration? Thanks so much for the help!!

On 7/15/2018 at 4:07 PM, Daviser12 said:

Does anyone have any insight to SCU's leniency with regards to the 7-year rule for prerequisites? My two general chemistry classes are 7 months and 2 months outside of this window, and I want to know if this would preclude me from consideration. I've emailed the program twice and left a voicemail message, and I've gotten radio silence. A&P was completed within the past year, and I'm otherwise a strong candidate. Would this still be acceptable for consideration? Thanks so much for the help!!

I'm going to assume the classes would not be accepted. I believe they have to be within 7 years of your application date. Most schools are very strict on this. I had a class that was off by 1 month, and had to retake it in order to apply. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if they accept combined anatomy and physiology for their prerequisites? Their website states:

Human Anatomy* (4 semester units) must include lab, must be Human Anatomy
Human Physiology* (4 semester units) must include lab, must be Human Physiology

I took A+P 1 and A+P 2, both 4 credit classes, with labs. The "must be Human Anatomy/Physiology" part is throwing me off a bit, I sent them an email but I was just curious if anyone on here knows?
Thanks!

20 minutes ago, adb123 said:

Does anyone know if they accept combined anatomy and physiology for their prerequisites? Their website states:

I took A+P 1 and A+P 2, both 4 credit classes, with labs. The "must be Human Anatomy/Physiology" part is throwing me off a bit, I sent them an email but I was just curious if anyone on here knows?
Thanks!

I took a combined Anatomy/Physiology and I think that should be fine. If you find out let me know please because I am in the same boat. 

Hi everyone, I am currently completing a Microbiology Pre-req at SCU through their Accelerated Science courses offering and I am enrolled in their Human Physiology (HP) course. Note: they also offer the A&P I and II courses.  According to the course description for the HP course, it is “designed primarily for health sciences programs including medicine, physician assistant, chiropractic, dental hygiene, pharmacy, nursing, physical therapy, sports and leisure studies, and other medical related fields.” The description for the Human Anatomy course similarly focuses on the same program track as HP. The A&P I and II does not address the program track as HP and HA. 

So I asked fellow pre-PA students in my Micro class who had taken A&P I and II through SCU, would this fulfill the PA pre-reqs and they say yes. They stated that there are current PA students in the SCU program who had taken the 4 unit A&P I and II courses through SCU. Here’s the link to the SCU Accelerated Science courses for you to compare:  /www.scuhs.edu/academics/sps/accelerated-science-courses/. By the way, I opted for the HP course because I had already taken the HA course at a Community College.

I will be on campus tomorrow, 8/22/18, to take my micro final so if anyone has any more questions from this thread, I will try to relay them to SCU PA admissions and, perhaps, post their response here. I hope that helps. Good luck to everyone applying this cycle. Hope to see you during the interviews in Feb/March 2019.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, adb123 said:

Thanks!

I spoke with the class president of the PA 2019 cohort  and he said the combined A&P was fine. 

Edited by PAhopeful6

Applied on 07/13 and got this email today 

"Thank you for applying to Southern California University of Health Science!

Your application has been received and will be reviewed by our Admissions Committee in the upcoming months.  Those applicants being invited for interviews will be contacted in January with interviews being held in February.

Thank you for your interest in our program!

SCU MSPA Admissions Committee"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/22/2018 at 10:41 AM, RespiratoryGirl said:

Applied on 07/13 and got this email today 

"Thank you for applying to Southern California University of Health Science!

Your application has been received and will be reviewed by our Admissions Committee in the upcoming months.  Those applicants being invited for interviews will be contacted in January with interviews being held in February.

Thank you for your interest in our program!

SCU MSPA Admissions Committee"

I also just received this email yesterday.

Waiting until January is going to be quite an adventure for my mind

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2018 at 2:52 AM, KatherineLee said:

Hi Everyone!  I will be applying next year and was wondering if you all have taken organic with or without a lab and if you took biochem?

Also, wondering when everyone submitted their app? 

THANKS GUYS! 

I took Orgo 1& 2 with the lab and biochemistry, I submitted late June! No problem!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2018 at 4:07 PM, Daviser12 said:

I have the same exact question.. did you find out yet? 

On 10/3/2018 at 7:01 PM, Ajchen22 said:

I have the same exact question.. did you find out yet? 

The response I got from a fellow forum-goer was that they are pretty strict about timeliness of class completion; however, I never heard anything from the school. I would assume that they would not accept classes completed outside the 7-year rule unless you are able to get the okay from the directly. ?

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/21/2018 at 11:27 AM, Joehawaii said:

Hi everyone, I am currently completing a Microbiology Pre-req at SCU through their Accelerated Science courses offering and I am enrolled in their Human Physiology (HP) course. Note: they also offer the A&P I and II courses.  According to the course description for the HP course, it is “designed primarily for health sciences programs including medicine, physician assistant, chiropractic, dental hygiene, pharmacy, nursing, physical therapy, sports and leisure studies, and other medical related fields.” The description for the Human Anatomy course similarly focuses on the same program track as HP. The A&P I and II does not address the program track as HP and HA. 

So I asked fellow pre-PA students in my Micro class who had taken A&P I and II through SCU, would this fulfill the PA pre-reqs and they say yes. They stated that there are current PA students in the SCU program who had taken the 4 unit A&P I and II courses through SCU. Here’s the link to the SCU Accelerated Science courses for you to compare:  /www.scuhs.edu/academics/sps/accelerated-science-courses/. By the way, I opted for the HP course because I had already taken the HA course at a Community College.

I will be on campus tomorrow, 8/22/18, to take my micro final so if anyone has any more questions from this thread, I will try to relay them to SCU PA admissions and, perhaps, post their response here. I hope that helps. Good luck to everyone applying this cycle. Hope to see you during the interviews in Feb/March 2019.

Hi Joehawaii,

Do you know what's the format of their interviewing process? Is it mmi, group, individual ? Is SCUHS on rolling basis admission and when do applicants typically hear back from SCUHS? 

thank you.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...