Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 8/8/2018 at 10:53 PM, LKtobeaPA said:

Me too! Good luck! 

I also have an interview on September 1, I am excited to meet everyone! 

Are you all staying the night Friday, or will you be arriving Saturday?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest thatgirlonabike
On 9/5/2018 at 1:45 PM, SDPA19 said:

Just got accepted this morning from the 9/1 interview! Anyone else?

Good luck to everyone who is waiting to hear back!

Congrats!  What did you think of the facilities and the town?  This is the only program I applied to that isn't associated with a med school but I'm really drawn to their ideas about mindfulness and emphasis on psych. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/6/2018 at 1:50 PM, thatgirlonabike said:

Congrats!  What did you think of the facilities and the town?  This is the only program I applied to that isn't associated with a med school but I'm really drawn to their ideas about mindfulness and emphasis on psych. 

Thank you! It is a beautiful campus. The Health and Sciences Campus is about 20 mins from the main campus in Marion, VA. It is in a renovated hospital and everything is updated and welcoming. The free clinic and gross anatomy lab are located on campus in a separate building. There is also a nice gym and multiple apartment complexes walking distance to campus. The town in small, but charming. There aren't many distractions, but that's a good thing. 

I hope that helps! Good luck!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PA1819 said:

I just received an interview invite! I am interviewing on October 20th! Anyone else? 

Could you post your stats? Still working on my application and trying to see the average stats of those who are invited for interviews.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 6:06 PM, PA1819 said:

I was accepted from the 10/20 interview! Anyone else?

 

Congrats! Looking forward to meeting you in May!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 4:01 PM, VAEMPA said:

Hey Ya'll,

I was wondering what peoples opinion was if it is too late for me to apply to this program?

 

Thanks.

As long as their CASPA is still open it isn't too late to apply! I think they do interviews through January. Go for it!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2018 at 1:45 PM, SDPA19 said:

Just got accepted this morning from the 9/1 interview! Anyone else?

Good luck to everyone who is waiting to hear back!

SDPA 19 I was also accepted after this interview day!! Congrats!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Archer11 said:

SDPA 19 I was also accepted after this interview day!! Congrats!!!

Looking forward to meeting you in May!!! Hopefully, when interviews are over they will set up a facebook page for us to connect!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm an applicant for this cycle but also wanted to mention that this school is in my (tiny) hometown where I was born and raised, so if anyone has any questions, feel free to post away or message me! I'm happy to help anyone who will be new to the area. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 2:06 PM, bellis said:

I'm an applicant for this cycle but also wanted to mention that this school is in my (tiny) hometown where I was born and raised, so if anyone has any questions, feel free to post away or message me! I'm happy to help anyone who will be new to the area. 

Where is the best place to live? I am having a hard time finding apartment or rental home information online.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SDPA19 said:

Where is the best place to live? I am having a hard time finding apartment or rental home information online.

Marion is a small town, which I'm sure any of you who have visited will know (population of about 6,000). As you also know, this is a pretty medically underserved area of Virginia and I would say a large portion of the population is hovering around the poverty line, both above and below. People don't really move in and out frequently - they will be born there, live there, and die there - so there isn't a huge market for rentals. And keep in mind that apartment rentals here aren't going to have bigger city amenities like a community pool, fitness room, etc. You get your apartment, and a parking space. That's about it. 

In the past year or two, they developed some great apartments downtown with E&H grad students specifically in mind. I'm actually surprised that E&H went ahead The only downside is there aren't very units - I think 12 or 15? But definitely a nice apartment complex. They're called Francis Apartments and the number to inquire about renting is (276) 780-3561. If you have trouble getting ahold of someone, let me know and I can put you in direct contact with the owner. 

There is a large set of apartments as you crest the hill to go to the campus - I cannot for the life of me remember the name right now, and a Google search failed me. You can probably see the school from your apartment, and it's only about 0.3 miles, but it's not great to walk because it's a busy intersection with no sidewalks and no pedestrian walkways. Those are decent apartments that a lot of people live in when they come back to Marion after college or after they first move out of their parents' house. I'd say the mix leans more towards 30's and up, and many people there are long time residents. They're older apartments, but there is very little in this town that is new, so take it for what it's worth. There's another set called Country Club Crossing that I know a few people who have lived there, but I personally haven't seen what the inside looks like. I'd stay away from the complexes on the west side of town - - those are rough. 

Oh! EDITED TO ADD: A great place to look/inquire might be the Facebook group "Smyth County Yard Sale"  - https://www.facebook.com/groups/478851678841090/?ref=group_browse_new That's pretty much the hub for all things renting/buying/selling. Probably your best bet if you don't have luck with Francis Apartments. 

Real Estate is expensive (and again, few people seem to ever leave), so the rental market is very slow. A lot of the realtors aren't up on Zillow, and no one there is using Pad Mapper, Airbnb, or even Craigslist. They're just old fashioned. People have for rent signs in their yards, but even those don't go up very often. I'd call some of the Real Estate agents and see if they've got anything. 

Sorry if that was more vague than helpful - I'll make a couple calls tonight and see if I can get some more info for you. 

Edited by bellis
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest thatgirlonabike

I've not interviewed yet but I've been checking out the real estate scene everywhere I've been invited.  Real Estate is SUPER cheap around Marion (like under 100K).  You might do just as well buying a house and renting the extra rooms to grad students.  If I get in here I may look into that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 3:49 PM, bellis said:

Marion is a small town, which I'm sure any of you who have visited will know (population of about 6,000). As you also know, this is a pretty medically underserved area of Virginia and I would say a large portion of the population is hovering around the poverty line, both above and below. People don't really move in and out frequently - they will be born there, live there, and die there - so there isn't a huge market for rentals. And keep in mind that apartment rentals here aren't going to have bigger city amenities like a community pool, fitness room, etc. You get your apartment, and a parking space. That's about it. 

In the past year or two, they developed some great apartments downtown with E&H grad students specifically in mind. I'm actually surprised that E&H went ahead The only downside is there aren't very units - I think 12 or 15? But definitely a nice apartment complex. They're called Francis Apartments and the number to inquire about renting is (276) 780-3561. If you have trouble getting ahold of someone, let me know and I can put you in direct contact with the owner. 

There is a large set of apartments as you crest the hill to go to the campus - I cannot for the life of me remember the name right now, and a Google search failed me. You can probably see the school from your apartment, and it's only about 0.3 miles, but it's not great to walk because it's a busy intersection with no sidewalks and no pedestrian walkways. Those are decent apartments that a lot of people live in when they come back to Marion after college or after they first move out of their parents' house. I'd say the mix leans more towards 30's and up, and many people there are long time residents. They're older apartments, but there is very little in this town that is new, so take it for what it's worth. There's another set called Country Club Crossing that I know a few people who have lived there, but I personally haven't seen what the inside looks like. I'd stay away from the complexes on the west side of town - - those are rough. 

Oh! EDITED TO ADD: A great place to look/inquire might be the Facebook group "Smyth County Yard Sale"  - https://www.facebook.com/groups/478851678841090/?ref=group_browse_new That's pretty much the hub for all things renting/buying/selling. Probably your best bet if you don't have luck with Francis Apartments. 

Real Estate is expensive (and again, few people seem to ever leave), so the rental market is very slow. A lot of the realtors aren't up on Zillow, and no one there is using Pad Mapper, Airbnb, or even Craigslist. They're just old fashioned. People have for rent signs in their yards, but even those don't go up very often. I'd call some of the Real Estate agents and see if they've got anything. 

Sorry if that was more vague than helpful - I'll make a couple calls tonight and see if I can get some more info for you. 

THANK YOU!!!!! This is extremely helpful!!!! I'll look into Francis Apartments and join the facebook group.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest thatgirlonabike

I was also accepted this Sat.  The passion and honesty of the staff about the mission of this school completely sold me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2018 at 3:12 PM, Sciencer said:

Interviewed and accepted same day! Amazing school, facility, and faculty. 

Congratulations! Looking forward to meeting you in May!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest thatgirlonabike

If there is anyone lurking on here who has been accepted let me know.  I'll add you to the class facebook page. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More