Name Change

Hi all, I recently eloped with my boyfriend of 6 years and I wasn't planning on changing my name until after PA school and when we have our church wedding. Does anyone recommend me changing my name now or waiting? I was under the impression its easier to keep your name the same until after the program. Keep in mind, I did buy a house and have other property under my current (unmarried) name. What is all of your advice? 

Hi all, I recently eloped with my boyfriend of 6 years and I wasn't planning on changing my name until after PA school and when we have our church wedding. Does anyone recommend me changing my name now or waiting? I was under the impression its easier to keep your name the same until after the program. Keep in mind, I did buy a house and have other property under my current (unmarried) name. What is all of your advice? 

No matter when you do it, it will take a lot of work. We have people change their names while in our program. It’s your decision; shouldn’t be a big deal either way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

I changed mine after getting accepted, before PA school started. I changed both first and last name (changed my given birth name to my shortened nickname I’ve gone by my whole life). I think it was less work than it would’ve been had I done it after graduating and getting credentialed. It’s not a ton of work, but I figured I’d rather change it and be known by that name during clinicals and when I’m applying for jobs and getting certified. It’s actually a fairly simple process if you’re just changing your last name. 

3 hours ago, KaBax said:

I changed mine after getting accepted, before PA school started. I changed both first and last name (changed my given birth name to my shortened nickname I’ve gone by my whole life). I think it was less work than it would’ve been had I done it after graduating and getting credentialed. It’s not a ton of work, but I figured I’d rather change it and be known by that name during clinicals and when I’m applying for jobs and getting certified. It’s actually a fairly simple process if you’re just changing your last name. 

Okay, thank you for your feedback!

I got married during clinicals of PA school and would recommend changing your name before graduating. This way your diploma/degree is in your married name and when you start working through all the PANCE and other certification and medical board requirements at the end of school it’s already set and done. I remember quite a few times a classmate that got married at the end of school having problems because all the names didn’t match correctly. There’s a ton of paperwork and such to get certified and it’d be a pain to do all of that twice due to changing your name a couple months after getting it set (in addition to all the government steps to change your name in the first place). 

Archived