Sign in to follow this  

Straight RVU Compenstaion

Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience with being compensated with RVU alone?  Our physician staffing firm is contemplating straight RVU compensation.

We have been hourly since the beginning, but recently there has been a lot of talk about going to RVU w/o a base salary just like our supervising ED Docs.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

JBS

That would be HORRIBLE. Our group just moved from hourly to hourly plus RVU, and I hate it. I would rather earn less money. It has harmed the morale of the group. Instead of being focused on working together as a team, taking and giving... and most of all, caring for patients, the doctors especially are focused on getting more and more money. There have been days where I have been told I can come in late because a doctor has it "handed," and I come in and they're "handling" 15-18 patients ALONE. And they didn't see this many patients before - but they want to scoop up all the patients now, at the expense of patient satisfaction (how much time are they really spending with these patients) and safety (how can you safely carry 18 patients and not make terrible mistakes?). You'll try to go see a patient and they're magically in the room already picking up their 19th patient while you are sitting on your butt. And then when the ER is slow, of if one of these providers is "hogging" all of the patients, you are left seeing nothing and also making no money. I highly recommend against this model especially if it is all RVU based. You NEED an hourly wage to maintain your sanity. People will drop off like flies with the pressure of a solely RVU based pay system because they won't be able to handle the stress. 

• Like 1

yup, agree with above. have done it. will never do it again.

upside: potential to make a lot of money

downsides(and there are many) :

chart hogs(as above), bad charting to see more pts, bad care to see more pts, tendency to underwork up pts to get them gone faster to see more patients...it's really as bad as you think. docs hate to talk about your patients because it keeps them from seeing more, etc. it turns a nice work environment into an assembly line mill. DO NOT DO IT.

It's even messier than that.  Most places want a doc name on the chart so they can bill 100% for incident to rather than the 85% if an APC only sees that patient.  This creates all sorts of issues on how the RVU's are split between the APC and the doc, especially if the APC really saw the patient.  Some models include 3 different splits: 1 if the doc was only "available for consultation", 1 (with more RVU's allocated to the doc) if the APC "discussed" the patient with the doc, and a 3rd (with the doc getting most of the RVU's) if the doc did a "face-to-face" examination of the patient.  This last leads to lots of the doc saying hi from the doorway to get the most RVU's.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

It's even messier than that.  Most places want a doc name on the chart so they can bill 100% for incident to rather than the 85% if an APC only sees that patient.  This creates all sorts of issues on how the RVU's are split between the APC and the doc, especially if the APC really saw the patient.  Some models include 3 different splits: 1 if the doc was only "available for consultation", 1 (with more RVU's allocated to the doc) if the APC "discussed" the patient with the doc, and a 3rd (with the doc getting most of the RVU's) if the doc did a "face-to-face" examination of the patient.  This last leads to lots of the doc saying hi from the doorway to get the most RVU's.

yup. at a prior job the docs got 50% just to sign the chart and 75% if they say hi from the door after my 2 hr workup with procedures and consults...grrrrr.....only 1 of several reasons I quit that job. 

In our group if the doc sees the patient even briefly and documents it, all the RVUs go to them. I have had patients where I worked my butt off for hours and at discharge the doc goes in to "say hi" and then I get squat.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Kslight66
      Hello,

I am looking for advice on salary for a Pa-C position in charge on a 16 bed Detox wing. I would be responsible for supervising a nurse and a CNA. Also, I would have to work some weekend, nights and some holidays.
      1. What would be a good salary range for this dual medical / management role? 

2. The job only provides 16 days of ( lumping it all together) PTO, sick and national holiday and CME days off.  Should I ask for a higher compensation for this limited vacation package? 

thank you in advance! 
    • By Bears24
      EM PA here, our group is looking to moving towards single doc/PA coverage overnight, whereas we previously ended shifts around 1am. For all those who work shift work/overnights, wondering if you receive an overnight differential pay bump. If so, what is it? If you're more comfortable contacting me directly would be GREAT help or answer the attached poll. Attempting to get some data together to show higher ups its common for overnight diff in EM world. Also please include what state you work in and what specialty.

Thank you in advance!!!!
    • By Natalie6190
      Here are the details of my offer. There really wasn’t much to it and I have no idea where to start with negotiations and what I need to bring up. My concern is that the salary is a little on the low side. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated!

Details include: 
      92k salary 
      24 days PTO 
      5 days CME
      2k CME 
    • By futurePA4312
      My SP is retiring and selling his FM practice. I am looking for advice on salary negotiation with the new supervising physician.
      The new SP has big aspirations for the practice and plans to add many updates which is exciting but it appears that it will also come with quite the workload increase.

I suspect that we will be marketing the practice more which means more patients. (I currently average 15 per day)
      He wants me to credential at the local hospital and round on our patients in the morning if they were admitted to the hospital in the morning prior to seeing patients at clinic.
      He also wants me to begin taking call (one weekend a month) at the local hospital.
      We may also round at the local Nursing Homes one day a week

Current Base: 90k. No Production bonuses

With the added workload that will be expected, any advice on if I should ask for a raise vs productivity bonus? 
    • By UCFPA
      Hello I’m a PA with 11 years experience who has worked in hospitalists medicine for over 9, various places.  I’ve been at the same low salary for the past 5 years. 105k 7 on 7 off capped at 8 admissions per day 3-11, no PTO no sick days (have to be made up). I had a talk with them and as a result Ive been offered 125k with quarterly bonuses with an increase in patients. 2500 cme with licenses and fees to come out of the 2500

Pros: Fully Autonomous, flexible on start time, good rapport with boss. Typically done with my cap in 7hrs per day. Essentially working 56 hrs every two weeks, making the hourly rate pretty good. Possibly able to still complete a shift in 9hrs with new cap proposal. 

Cons: Poor communication in the office. Sometimes travel between two facilities  

I reached out to another hospital system in town and the local competition is willing to pay 128k base with 10k bonus divided quarterly. 2500 cme and pay for licensing and fees.  Shift will be ten hrs. 2-midnight. No cap on admissions however told typically 6-7 admissions per night  
      Pros. No travel required, 
      Cons: no access to doc lounge (wth!), likely present every patient to supervising doc, don’t eat free with exception of “doc area” buffet that closes at the start of my shift. Longer shifts.
      My question is are these competitive numbers for the year we are in and also which seems to be the better option?

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More