LSU-Shreveport 2018-2019 cycle

Does anyone know if invitations to interview are still going out?

I turned in my application in September. Last year I did about the same time and was invited to interview within a week. This time.... been three weeks since I got my email that everything is complete and I haven't heard another word since. 

Also....for goodness' sake...can someone give me an idea of how many people have been accepted so far? I am really starting to freak out. ???

Also... is this how all PA schools do notifications for acceptance? 

Because DANG! It would be so much easier on us if they just sent all the acceptance letters out at the same time. 

This is so freaking stressful! Especially since this is the second time I've been through it and I haven't gotten an invitation to interview so far this time around. ???

Please excuse me while I go cry in a corner. ????

Any current students on this thread?? 

I would really like to know a current student’s transparent, honest opinion on the pros and cons of this program. 

Also, could someone touch on how the communication of the program is as a student? I have interviewed here in the past and I know that was one area that, to me, was a bit lacking. I’m curious to know if that is due to the high volume of applicants or if it is a more permanent characteristic? 

Edited by CDLAPA

• 2 weeks later...

I have an interview coming up November 12! They sent me the information email about the interview and the first thing it asked to bring was "Print the letter you received from the program showing your coursework as completed or not." Am I reading this wrong or am I just not thinking of the right thing, what letter are they referring to?

Thanks! 

I, personally, like to read people’s own opinions and experiences regarding different programs. Therefore, I felt I should share mine regarding this program. 

1.) The communication is subpar, which I find concerning. For example, I was waitlisted my first time applying and after the initial notification, communication ceased. I reached out on more than one occasion with a phone call or an email to check on my status, and was neither called back nor replied to. There was not even an automated email notifying those on the waitlist that the class had been filled or that they were no longer pulling from the list. Nothing at all. 

2.) I question the character of the faculty. I’m not sure if it was me or the stress of the interview process, but I was taken aback by the clinical rotations coordinator during last years interview process. During the group discussion, I asked about housing in Shreveport: something similar to “Is it easy to find safe and affordable housing is Shreveport?” Certainly not a question I would consider to be laughable, especially in what is meant to be a relaxed group discussion where interviewees should be encouraged to inquire about every aspect of attending school there. Yet, instead of capitalizing on an opportunity to discuss student housing or other related topics, she began to laugh at me which in turn lead to giggles by a few of the other interviewees. She then followed up by sarcastically informing me that “affordable and safe are relative terms” and “if I were to find myself living somewhere that was affordable but that I did not feel safe, then I should take out more loans and get a safer yet less affordable place.” I was completely embarrassed and questioning the content of my question; Was it really that terrible of a question to deserve being scoffed at? Not exactly how I expected to be treated for asking what I felt was a fair question. (especially when considering the crime rate of Shreveport?)

3.) Shreveport lacks the welcoming nature other programs utilize. I have attended interviews at five other programs and never felt my questions/concerns were not being taken seriously or as “out of the loop” as I have there. It is almost as if potential students are but the least of their concerns while other schools are making potential students their priority. (And I’m sure that due to the high amount of applicants they can afford to make that impression) One program I attended even went as far as to announce that they would much rather reply to multiple emails a day than have potential students not consider them or feel as though their questions were unwelcome. Shreveport lacks that kind of personalism, and transparency. It’s unsettling and disappointing to me because I originally looked forward to potentially becoming a LSUHSC PA student and, as a bonus, be able to continue a legacy (my father and grandfather both received their PhDs from LSU). 

However, there is always New Orleans, and they were very inviting, respectful, and had thorough communication. I actually really enjoyed their interview process.

All of this being said, I also know people who have had good experiences with this program and no two people are the same. However, I felt it was important to share. 

Goodluck to everyone! 

Edited by CDLAPA
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CDLAPA said:

I, personally, like to read people’s own opinions and experiences regarding different programs. Therefore, I felt I should share mine regarding this program. 

1.) The communication is subpar, which I find concerning. For example, I was waitlisted my first time applying and after the initial notification, communication ceased. I reached out on more than one occasion with a phone call or an email to check on my status, and was neither called back nor replied to. There was not even an automated email notifying those on the waitlist that the class had been filled or that they were no longer pulling from the list. Nothing at all. 

2.) I question the character of the faculty. I’m not sure if it was me or the stress of the interview process, but I was taken aback by the clinical rotations coordinator during last years interview process. During the group discussion, I asked about housing in Shreveport: something similar to “Is it easy to find safe and affordable housing is Shreveport?” Certainly not a question I would consider to be laughable, especially in what is meant to be a relaxed group discussion where interviewees should be encouraged to inquire about every aspect of attending school there. Yet, instead of capitalizing on an opportunity to discuss student housing or other related topics, she began to laugh at me which in turn lead to giggles by a few of the other interviewees. She then followed up by sarcastically informing me that “affordable and safe are relative terms” and “if I were to find myself living somewhere that was affordable but that I did not feel safe, then I should take out more loans and get a safer yet less affordable place.” I was completely embarrassed and questioning the content of my question; Was it really that terrible of a question to deserve being scoffed at? Not exactly how I expected to be treated for asking what I felt was a fair question. (especially when considering the crime rate of Shreveport?)

3.) Shreveport lacks the welcoming nature other programs utilize. I have attended interviews at five other programs and never felt my questions/concerns were not being taken seriously or as “out of the loop” as I have there. It is almost as if potential students are but the least of their concerns while other schools are making potential students their priority. (And I’m sure that due to the high amount of applicants they can afford to make that impression) One program I attended even went as far as to announce that they would much rather reply to multiple emails a day than have potential students not consider them or feel as though their questions were unwelcome. Shreveport lacks that type of personalism, and transparency. It’s unsettling and disappointing to me because I originally looked forward to potentially becoming an LSUHSC PA student and, as a bonus, be able to continue a legacy (my father and grandfather both received their PhDs from LSU). 

However, there is always New Orleans, and they were very inviting, respectful, and had thorough communication. I actually really enjoyed their interview process.

All of this being said, I also know people who have had good experiences with this program and no two people are the same. However, I felt it was important to share. 

Goodluck to everyone! 

Did you apply to their program this cycle or will you be considering LSUHSC-New Orleans? I like to hear others opinions about the programs, so thank you for sharing your opinion.

5 hours ago, Monet said:

Did you apply to their program this cycle or will you be considering LSUHSC-New Orleans? I like to hear others opinions about the programs, so thank you for sharing your opinion.

I did, yes. I received an invitation to interview at Shreveport also but decided (after a lot of deliberation) not to attend because I was accepted into another program.

• 3 weeks later...