2018 - 2019 applicants

On 7/6/2018 at 12:35 AM, FPOT2018 said:

Does Rocky Mountain College require GRE for a student that already have their Masters degree in Public Health? Medex Northwest does not require it for example if you have Masters already so I am just wondering. 

I would email the program and ask if you haven't already done so. 

• 3 weeks later...

I am a current PA student at Rocky (class of 2020) and I am happy to answer any questions from prospective students. We are in the final week of our first summer semester, so I may not respond immediately, but will try to check this forum daily. Good luck to everyone. 

On 8/14/2018 at 1:22 PM, Lance said:

I was offered an interview last week on 8/8/18. I will be there interviewing on 9/21. If anyone else is going to be there for this interview let me know. I will be driving from Vancouver Wa as this will be cheaper for me than flying.

I am also driving from Vancouver, WA, but I will be interviewing 9/14.

On 8/7/2018 at 10:53 PM, DocBates said:

I am a current PA student at Rocky (class of 2020) and I am happy to answer any questions from prospective students. We are in the final week of our first summer semester, so I may not respond immediately, but will try to check this forum daily. Good luck to everyone. 

I was wondering when the first wait listed student in your cohort was offered a spot.

21 hours ago, mountainmermaid78 said:

What does Rocky Mountain College PA program look for in an applicant? Thanks!

According to the Physician Assistant Program 2018-2020 Student Handbook:

Selection Process & Preferences All completed applications undergo a preliminary selection screening process, which evaluates and awards admission points based upon the following program preferences:

1. Past Academic Performance (60%). This includes a thorough review and scoring for: Cumulative and science GPAs. A minimum cumulative college GPA of 3.0 is recommended to be a competitive candidate. A minimum science GPA of 3.0 is required. Documented completion of all program-specific prerequisite courses before the scheduled class matriculation date. Students who have previously earned a Bachelor’s degree are required to provide evidence of the awarded degree and completion of the program-specific prerequisite courses. Grade improvement in repeated courses. Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score. A minimum combined verbal and quantitative GRE of at least 291 is required for applicant consideration.

2. Geographic Regionality (10%). In accordance with the stated mission of this Program to prepare health care providers to meet the needs of this very rural region, applicants are awarded admissions locality preference points based upon the following: o Permanent address within the Program’s stated region: Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, North or South Dakota, Utah, or Idaho. (2 points possible). Population of the location in which the applicant graduated from high school (rural preference - 2 points possible) 

3. Clinical Work Experience (20%).  The quantity and quality (direct patient care) of past clinical work experience as well as any formal health career training (EMT, CNA, LPN, RN, RT, MT, etc) are assessed as part of each applicant’s screening evaluation. Candidates with clinical experience are clearly more competitive.

4. Personal Statements (5%). Applicants are evaluated for their ability to express themselves in written communication as evidenced by the required personal statements.

5. Letters of Recommendation (5%). The letter writer’s assessment of the applicant’s ability to be a future physician assistant is the basis for this evaluation.

Applications are  ranked  according  to  the  number  of points awarded during the selection screening process. Those with the admission minimum-required score for a rolling admissions interview are immediately invited to complete the second phase of the selection process: a campus visit and personal interview with the Admissions Committee.

From my personal experience, I think they look for well-rounded individuals. Most of us are outgoing, but some of the class is more introverted. We come a variety of backgrounds including CNAs, PCTs, EMTs, Lab Techs, Radiology Techs, Respiratory Therapists, and Military Medics. Of my interview group, 6/8 were accepted into the program. I think that is a testament to our interactions during the interview process as we got along really well and it was obvious to the faculty. The most important factor is your ability to get along with others because this is a team effort. You will be in class with the same 35 students for over a year every single day. Add the stress of PA school, marriages, and parenthood.... well, you can see how people need to be able to get along in the classroom. Professionalism is huge, as it should be because this is an admired profession. Finally, know why you want to be PA and show that passion. This is a selective program (like all programs, no doubt), and you don't want to be in class with someone who isn't absolutely obsessed with becoming a PA. Understand that when a PA decided to take on a faculty position, they are making a minimum of $20,000 less than they would in practice (doctors even more), so the faculty are passionate about teaching the next generation of PAs. My advice is to sincerely meet that enthusiasm. While it's natural to get nervous during the interview, don't be afraid to show your excitement for the opportunity to become a PA. I hope that helps! 

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 3:18 PM, Kt901 said:

I was wondering when the first wait listed student in your cohort was offered a spot.

They don't start pulling from the active list until they first fill all 36 seats. They interview into March I believe. You won't hear anything until April.

"When a seat is available, applicants are selected from the Active List.  We continue to interview until there are 36 seats full and at least 36 students on our Active List.  We start to draw from the Active List as people give up there seats.  This typically starts in April and goes all the way through June."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived