The "Hospitalist's Union" and its hate for PAs

Does anyone know anything about the "hospitalist's union" and Dr. Emami? He is based out of AZ, and sounds like he hates his job so he started a "union." I keep using quotes because his website is sketchy at best and I can't tell if this is actually a real thing. I bring this up because a poster on facebook (grain of salt taken) said "I heard the commercial for it (the hospitalist's union) this morning. Asking if doctors were 'tired of seeing midlevels harm patients'."  The commercial apparently ran on KTAR in AZ. His website states, "The Hospitalist's Union views mid-levels (nurse practicioners [sic] and physician assistants) as illegitimate. They are a stop gap until more funding is allocated for training Doctors to meet all of the nation's medical needs." He goes on to complain about how we wear white coats, call ourselves doctors (looking at you, nurse practitioners), and want autonomous practice for "mid-levels" for which he will lobby against.

So is this just one guys blowing smoke or is this a legitimate organization? And what should we do about it?

http://www.hospitalistunion.org/

http://www.hospitalistunion.org/mid-levels/

5 minutes ago, EMEDPA said:

This guy has some serious self image/insecurity issues. After getting his DO from a perfectly good school and completing an accredited residency at a great facility, he felt the need to complete a Caribbean MD program....

Ya I saw that, super weird.

I found another gem from his website...

• Mid-levels (who are certified as nurse practitioners) are a separate entity from nurses altogether. Although they may have once been nurses, they have abandoned that noble calling, yet they have not fully committed themselves to their patients by pursuing a medical degree of D.O. or M.D. Whatever issues a nurse practitioner may raise are null if there is an attempt to pit Doctors against nurses. The Hospitalist's Union wholeheartedly advocates for nurses alongside Doctors.

Wow...

Guest HanSolo

This just cracks me up:

2015-Present: President and Founder, The Hospitalist's Union.
2015-Present: Fellow, Hospitalist's Union
2015-Present: Board Certified, Hospitalist's Union

http://www.menshealthaz.com/services-offered/Internal Medicine, Urgent Care and Primary Care Services

The Medical Office of A. A. Emami, D.O., M.D., F.H.U., F.A.C.O.I.
Board Certified Internal Medicine
Fellow, Hospitalist's Union
Fellow, American College of Osteopathic Internists
Former Certified Personal Trainer, American College of Sports Medicine (A.C.S.M.)

8080 East Gelding Drive
Suite D-101
Scottsdale, Arizona 85260

Phone*:                    480.508.0541

Facsimile:                    480.508.0542
E-Mail**:  info@menshealthaz.com

1 hour ago, True Anomaly said:

My favorite line:

"The Hospitalist's Union will lobby for mid-levels to wear short coats/jackets in colors other than white."

So....anyone want to start claiming the official color for a PAs coat?

Image result for ridiculously long white doctors coatwhat all the cool PAs are wearing.....:)

Great comments. His Hospitalists Union Board Certification is from a bogus group that is not a member of the accrediting Boards. This guy is commandeering a turf war and his MD makes him sound like he is the only capable person to treat ICU/CCU patients and to round the floors. When I was the Liaison from the AAPA to the ACS we had a one hour forum delivered by the ACS Committee on Surgery as to the credentials needed for a physician to be Board Certified as a Hospitalist and they were that they needed to be double boarded. they also mentioned that the Nurse Practitioners were doing a fine job and they hope that PAs would show greater interest in this field as they were so comfortable with them in surgery. the Forum was held by Dr. Fabri of Florida. I immediately wrote articles in the PA literature encouraging PAs to become hospitalists. I see from my inside look at medical centers that this has become a real reality. Good job, ladies and gentlemen.

Hmmmm. If he is worried about PA/NP's then he should spend a day in my CCU where our team of knuckle-dragging PA/NP's regularly take transfers from other facilities where docs throw up their hands due to a highly complex patient and we as APP's take over management of the patient and often turn things around. Yeah, I don't worry about guys like this because they would probably be shitting their pants if they spent a day in my unit. 

From his practice's website under "Why Choose Men's Healthcare?" 

• You Don't Want to See a Mid-level:
    • If you go shopping for a Cadillac, and if you pay for the price of a Cadillac, you expect to receive a Cadillac. Receiving anything less would be false advertising. To the same effect, when you schedule an appointment with a Doctor, you expect to see a Doctor, anything less is false advertising as well. When you schedule an appointment at Men's Health Care, you will see a Doctor who is Board Certified in Internal Medicine. You will not see someone who is not a Doctor but claims to have advanced training. Physician's assistants and nurse practitioners do not work at Men's Health Care because when you make an appointment to see the Doctor, you will see a Doctor. 

It is worthwhile to note, that many "quick clinics" are generally staffed by "certified" mid-levels (nurse practitioners and physician assistants). A mid-level of any certification is not a Doctor. At Men's Health Care all of your medical issues are addressed by A. A. Emami, D.O., M.D., F.H.U., F.A.C.O.I. who has completed medical school, residency training and is board certified. The affordable pricing plans at Men's Health Care are comparable if not less expensive than many of the "fast-food clinics" of health care.

So many things wrong with this statement, I don't even know where to begin....smh. 

Thread hijack:

"Former?  Who gives a ?  Should I start putting all my former things on my CV? "

Several years ago I was engaged in a heated online discussion with a bunch of people and, as is often the case, people started putting titles and former positions held under their signature and as time went on it seemed to get longer and longer. I finally listed everything I had ever done in my life finishing with "Perfect Attendance Mrs Tiller's First Grade Call- 1966" It cooled off the conversation and the chest-thumping.

55 minutes ago, sas5814 said:

Thread hijack:

"Former?  Who gives a ?  Should I start putting all my former things on my CV? "

Several years ago I was engaged in a heated online discussion with a bunch of people and, as is often the case, people started putting titles and former positions held under their signature and as time went on it seemed to get longer and longer. I finally listed everything I had ever done in my life finishing with "Perfect Attendance Mrs Tiller's First Grade Call- 1966" It cooled off the conversation and the chest-thumping.

I've seen this before. last win I saw was "best swimmer to the egg, 1965. beat out 1 million other opponents. I am unstoppable" ?

Archived