Interview Attire (women)

Guest thatgirlonabike

My goal with my interview is to be myself and stand out. I don't wear pantsuits I wear a uniform every day.  So I'm going to think of this as another uniform.  I'm buying a plaid pant suit and wearing black combat boots (polished with blood and brain matter removed).  No make up.  Straight braid.  I want to be like no one else there.  

3 hours ago, thatgirlonabike said:

My goal with my interview is to be myself and stand out. I don't wear pantsuits I wear a uniform every day.  So I'm going to think of this as another uniform.  I'm buying a plaid pant suit and wearing black combat boots (polished with blood and brain matter removed).  No make up.  Straight braid.  I want to be like no one else there.  

This goes against all of the advice that’s given on this forum, but I’m sure you know that!

Standing out is important, but the general consensus seems to be that you want to stand out because of your personality, who you are and your qualifications. Not for what you’re wearing.

This day is not like every other day, it is one of the biggest days of your life. Most programs want interviewees to dress professionally, even if that’s conventional and boring.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, mad12 said:

Any recommendations on hair style?  Is it better to pull it up and out of  your face, or leave it down and classy... This is coming from someone with super long hair that likes to get in the way of everything lol

Also bun or pony tail?

Thanks in advance!

it shouldn't really matter as long as it is professional (top knot buns and pony tails higher than halfway on the back of your head, even if sleek are probably a no here), and you aren't fussing with it! One of my friend's nervous tick is to play with her long hair, so she chose to put it half up and the rest behind her shoulders for her medical school interview. I saw a girl with a lower bun, some half up, some curled, some straight at an interview I went to Thursday. Another friend who has naturally curly hair told me once that curly hair can be viewed as "childish" (which sucks, and should not be a thing and maybe isn't) so for professional situations she straightens her hair. 

7 hours ago, mad12 said:

Any recommendations on hair style?  Is it better to pull it up and out of  your face, or leave it down and classy... This is coming from someone with super long hair that likes to get in the way of everything lol

Also bun or pony tail?

Thanks in advance!

I also have long hair and it can be distracting. I’ve been interviewing with a low bun. 

8 hours ago, mad12 said:

Also bun or pony tail?

Thanks in advance!

I have long hair as well and have been fretting a bit over this. I think I’ve decided to do half up, half down. That way it’s pulled back out of my face and I will still feel like myself. I tend to wear it down and feel most comfortable that way, but I don’t want to end up playing with it. I’m planning to curl it as well. 

I agree with the above. As long as it’s neat and professional and you’re comfortable, I don’t think it matters too much.

23 hours ago, thatgirlonabike said:

Nothing wrong with a pant suit or plaid if it is right color etc.  You don't want to look like your clothes were made from a picnic table cloth.   We just had the white coat ceremony the other day and the same attire as our interview day (example: dress pants/shirt/tie for men) was expected.  Combat boots?  Not sure if you are trying to push the line of what is acceptable, but it is not going to work out in your favor if you are treating your opportunities as "just another day in the life of (fill in your name here)."  

Edited by Ket131
  • Downvote 2

15 hours ago, mad12 said:

Is wearing a dress with a suit jacket too informal? Its just so hard to find a skirt or pant bottoms that fit right, but I don't want to not look classy.

It would depend on the dress. To me this sounds a bit informal.

I think matching dress and blazer designed as a set is totally appropriate. Separates can be hit or miss and definitely come off as less formal to me. You may be fine, but you don’t want to chance feeling underdressed! 

So reading these comments I kind of have an answer to my question but would like to ask it anyways. What about a long sleeved, appropriate length dress for interviews? too informal? I wore one to my first interview and was the only one in a dress. I also know for a FACT that I look better in a dress that a pant suit. Should I still do a pant suit? Thanks in advance!

On 10/1/2018 at 2:59 AM, cLL17 said:

So reading these comments I kind of have an answer to my question but would like to ask it anyways. What about a long sleeved, appropriate length dress for interviews? too informal? I wore one to my first interview and was the only one in a dress. I also know for a FACT that I look better in a dress that a pant suit. Should I still do a pant suit? Thanks in advance!

Another option could be a skirt suit. Or a dress with a blazer. 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2018 at 2:59 AM, cLL17 said:

I really think a dress is too informal. Everyone at my interview was wearing suits. 

• Like 1

A skirt with blazer would be a good compromise if you're not a fan of the pant suit.  I agree that a dress is probably too informal for this type of interview.  FWIW, it is pretty standard to wear a similar outfit to job/PG program interviews, so it's helpful to invest in something like this now.

• Like 1

Hey guys, 

Just wanted to get others' feedback regarding what to wear. Would it look more unprofessional if I mixed and matched a blazer/jacket with pants (for instance, gray pants, navy blue jacket/blazer)? I want to stand out a little bit more among everyone in black/blue pantsuits, but didn't know if it's better to be matchy-matchy (black on black) with a more exciting/different top...

Additionally, what was the consensus on purses? I usually bring around a crossbody handbag, but was thinking of maybe bringing a neutral colored tote that I can bring a notebook and such in?

Thanks everyone!

I bought a suit from the Banana Republic Factory and had it hemmed locally for around $120!  I shopped everywhere (JC Penneys, H&M, Macy's, etc) and that was the best deal I found. I am stuck on the type of blouse to wear... I know I am totally overthinking this but am so nervous/excited that I can't help it. LOL Are most people wearing long sleeve, button up, or is anyone wearing sleeveless tops? 

Thank you in advance for your help and good luck to everyone this cycle!! ? 

I bought a suit from the Banana Republic Factory and had it hemmed locally for around $120!  I shopped everywhere (JC Penneys, H&M, Macy's, etc) and that was the best deal I found. I am stuck on the type of blouse to wear... I know I am totally overthinking this but am so nervous/excited that I can't help it. LOL Are most people wearing long sleeve, button up, or is anyone wearing sleeveless tops? 
Thank you in advance for your help and good luck to everyone this cycle!! [emoji846] 
I wore a fuscia sleeveless top with a round neckline that rested on my collar bones. My suit was navy blue. It was in July and I felt lucky I didn't have to wear long sleeves under my jacket like the guys.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hey guys, 
Just wanted to get others' feedback regarding what to wear. Would it look more unprofessional if I mixed and matched a blazer/jacket with pants (for instance, gray pants, navy blue jacket/blazer)? I want to stand out a little bit more among everyone in black/blue pantsuits, but didn't know if it's better to be matchy-matchy (black on black) with a more exciting/different top...
Additionally, what was the consensus on purses? I usually bring around a crossbody handbag, but was thinking of maybe bringing a neutral colored tote that I can bring a notebook and such in?

Thanks everyone!
I carried a tan colored fake leather tote. I'd probably wear a matching suit that looks like it was purchased together, but that's because I like to play these things safe. You might be fine doing two different tones.

10 minutes ago, aberino said:

Thank you in advance for your help and good luck to everyone this cycle!! ? 

I wore a muted color, floral pattern, flutter sleeve blouse.

Honestly the sleeves didn’t matter much as I basically kept my blazer on all day. I briefly took it off during lunch, but I was the only one in my interview group that did so. 

23 hours ago, ecb220 said:

Hey guys, 

Thanks everyone!

There were a couple of people in my interview who mix-matched colors. I personally recommend matching because it's just more professional looking. As for purses, I would recommend a tote because the programs I interviewed gave us hand-outs and pamphlets. So it would be convenient to put them in a tote versus carrying them around in your hands.  

12 hours ago, DarcyJ said:

I carried a tan colored fake leather tote. I'd probably wear a matching suit that looks like it was purchased together, but that's because I like to play these things safe. You might be fine doing two different tones.

29 minutes ago, msfpa01 said:

There were a couple of people in my interview who mix-matched colors. I personally recommend matching because it's just more professional looking. As for purses, I would recommend a tote because the programs I interviewed gave us hand-outs and pamphlets. So it would be convenient to put them in a tote versus carrying them around in your hands.  

Thank you both for the help!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Would 3 inch heels be considered to 'high' or unprofessional for an interview? I have no problem walking in heels and definitely prefer to wear them, I just don't want to stand out in a bad way. Personally, I'm not a fan of how kitten heels look on me, and I read online that 3 inch heels is usually acceptable in general workplaces-just wondering if this corresponds to interviews as well. Thanks!! Here are the heels I was thinking of getting.

Edited by paPassion7

22 minutes ago, paPassion7 said:

Would 3 inch heels be considered to 'high' or unprofessional for an interview? I have no problem walking in heels and definitely prefer to wear them, I just don't want to stand out in a bad way. Personally, I'm not a fan of how kitten heels look on me, and I read online that 3 inch heels is usually acceptable in general workplaces-just wondering if this corresponds to interviews as well. Thanks!! Here are the heels I was thinking of getting.

Those are perfectly fine! I think when heels start becoming unprofessional is when they're super strappy, super high skinny heels. Those look very nice and professional ? People typically warn against high heels only because most interviews include a tour as well so you don't want to be uncomfy!

• Like 1

On 6/23/2018 at 11:26 AM, futurepackc said:

Hi everyone!

I have a couple interviews scheduled and am having a hard time finding nice suits for a decent price, the suits at H&M are not great quality and Im afraid that will be noticeable. 

any suggestions would be great!

I do not think it matters what suit you wear and from where, as long as it is a matching pair. and a neutral color ( black, gray, beige).  I bought a suit from H&M myself, I interviewed at 5 places, got accepted to 3 and wait-listed at 2. So I would say H&M suits are pretty successful!

Honestly, you should not be spending too much and wearing expensive brands or even carrying expensive bags to an interview. Especially if you are going to make a case for wanting to serve in undeserved or rural populations.  Overall, I don't think it matters even if you do decide to wear an expensive one, but you definitely don't have to. Just make sure the suit fits well and is well-ironed. Wear comfortable shoes and make sure they are not worn out or unpolished. 

I know I am replying a bit late, but I hope this helps all the readers out there. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
I know this is a little late but I’m curious if an eggplant colored suit is appropriate. It is in a very professional cut and looks very flattering. I know most say to stick with black/gray/navy but I was advised not to wear black to this interview by a current student. Gray makes me feel sad and washes me out. I feel like a flight attendant in navy but have a navy option as a back up. Any thoughts? 
Here’s a image for reference
https://www.macys.com/shop/product/tahari-asl-notched-lapel-pantsuit?ID=6717035&cm_mmc=OpsEmail-_-364_delivery_confirmation-_-6717035-_-MB&cm_lm_mo64=ZGFuaWVsbGUueml0ZWtAaG90bWFpbC5jb20=

I think it looks super cute and professional! It's not too much that it would be inappropriate, I think it would be a good touch to set you apart from all the black and gray!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk