Interview Attire (women)

I have some nit-picky questions for woman interviewing! I have read not to go "overboard" with makeup but to defiantly wear some if you can. I'm not to sure what is "overboard" and was hoping for some opinions. I usually just do the usual foundation, concealer, power , eyeliner and mascara. I can't do brows or eyeshadow for the life of me but can manage to pull of a neutral shadow.

My question is, should I do a neutral eyeshadow or is it okay to go without (I usually go without)? And second, I use liquid eyeliner and my standard go-to is a winged eyeliner, nothing crazy thick I just think it makes my eyes look bigger. Is this considered "overboard?" Seriously curious, I do it everyday but for an interview I don't know, could it be considered to much? 

Also what is the consensus on suit pants for woman? I'm on the hunt for a suit and I've found that a lot of brands are steering towards straight and skinny leg pants now instead of the classic wide leg. Is this style something that could be seen as unprofessional? I think they look great, but if they are not considered professional I'll steer towards open and wide-leg pants. Thanks in advance for the insight!

I have some nit-picky questions for woman interviewing! I have read not to go "overboard" with makeup but to defiantly wear some if you can. I'm not to sure what is "overboard" and was hoping for some opinions. I usually just do the usual foundation, concealer, power , eyeliner and mascara. I can't do brows or eyeshadow for the life of me but can manage to pull of a neutral shadow.
My question is, should I do a neutral eyeshadow or is it okay to go without (I usually go without)? And second, I use liquid eyeliner and my standard go-to is a winged eyeliner, nothing crazy thick I just think it makes my eyes look bigger. Is this considered "overboard?" Seriously curious, I do it everyday but for an interview I don't know, could it be considered to much? 
Also what is the consensus on suit pants for woman? I'm on the hunt for a suit and I've found that a lot of brands are steering towards straight and skinny leg pants now instead of the classic wide leg. Is this style something that could be seen as unprofessional? I think they look great, but if they are not considered professional I'll steer towards open and wide-leg pants. Thanks in advance for the insight!
I have sensitive skin and eyes so I can't wear much makeup. And, when I do it's not everyday or it catches up with me quickly. Daily, I only wear undereye concealer. But, for special occasions, I wear a tinted primer/moisturizer (plus undereye concealer), blush, mascara, and fill in my brows. So, that's what I'll be wearing for my interview.

I bet you could get a good idea of what's acceptable by watching "natural-look" makeup videos in YouTube. But, I think a light natural shade of eyeshadow is fine, but so is no eyeshadow IMO.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

53 minutes ago, whitecoatrosegold said:

Don't look like you're going out to the club.  That's overboard.  Everything else is fine.

Ladies, you're overthinking a lot of this.  Be yourself.  If that means makeup, great.  If not, don't start wearing it just for an interview.  If that means red pants, go for it as long as it's professional.  Wear clothes that FIT you, regardless of the style.  Re: shoes - again, don't look like you're going clubbing.  If you want to wear flats, heels, wedges, whatever as long as it's appropriate.  Sometimes it's good to stand out and be remembered.  We are not robots.  If a program is going to deny you simply because you don't conform to a sea of black business pant suits, do you really want to go there?  

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

On 6/23/2018 at 8:42 PM, hmtpnw said:

Ah, thanks so much for this!

Just checked out Ann Taylor and they're having a great sale online. 50% off certain pants and blazers. I ordered a two piece gray suit for $125! I am planning to try on the outfit from Macy's and the one from Ann Taylor and pick my favorite. 

How did the Ann Taylor suit work out for you? 

42 minutes ago, DarcyJ said:

How did the Ann Taylor suit work out for you? 

It was really nice, definitely felt high quality, but I actually ended up keeping a suit I got at Macy’s. I have a longer, thinner torso and shorter legs with curvier hips and rear, so it’s hard for me to find bottoms that are well fitting ?

I ended up with a navy suit from Nine West, paid only $110 total for the set. The blazer ran kind of large so I got that in a smaller size than usual and it was spot on for fit. I will just have to take the sleeves up an inch and I’m planning to swap out the black buttons on the front for tortoise brown. For bottoms I got a pair of “capri length” slacks which on me were more of an ankle length cropped, and they were a perfect fit! 

Lol, probably too many details for ya, but I’m so excited ?

It was really nice, definitely felt high quality, but I actually ended up keeping a suit I got at Macy’s. I have a longer, thinner torso and shorter legs with curvier hips and rear, so it’s hard for me to find bottoms that are well fitting [emoji31]
I ended up with a navy suit from Nine West, paid only $110 total for the set. The blazer ran kind of large so I got that in a smaller size than usual and it was spot on for fit. I will just have to take the sleeves up an inch and I’m planning to swap out the black buttons on the front for tortoise brown. For bottoms I got a pair of “capri length” slacks which on me were more of an ankle length cropped, and they were a perfect fit! 
Lol, probably too many details for ya, but I’m so excited [emoji16]
OMG this is crazy. LOL I have a long, thin (flat LOL) torso with just average length legs (even though I'm 5'8") and some thicker lower hips. I know *exactly* what you're going through. On top of being thin, I also have broad shoulders so getting things to fit my shoulders without looking boxy/baggy is also part of the equation. LOL

Definitely not too much detail as this was super helpful!! I'm going to hit up Macy's for sure. ??

• Upvote 1

Girl, I feel ya on the flat thing ? 

If it helps at all, here is what I ended up with - this blazer and these slacks.

First off, online the navy color looks like it doesn't match, but it's just the images. In person they're a perfect match and are overall more of a dark navy, which I felt was really nice and professional. I got the navy, but they also have it in black.

The slacks appear to be capri length in the picture, but if you have shorter or even average length legs they're more of an ankle length crop which ran true to size for me. All the reviews complain about how they aren't really capris at all, so it seems for most people they're ankle length. I am 5'3" - 5'4"ish, and I will probably actually take them up an inch or two, so even though you're a bit taller than me they may be fine.

The blazer ran one size too big, so I sized down and the fit was amazing. It was a great fit on my waist and was just the right length. Like I said, I will just have to take up the sleeves an inch or so, but otherwise the cut is really flattering for my body type. I would think you could probably order your regular size as it would have more room in the shoulders and then get it altered in other spots. 

Obviously every body is different, but if you order online you can get it shipped for free and just return it if it's not right for you! I ended up ordering probably 4 - 5 suits/outfits before finding the right one because everything I wanted wasn't available in stores ?

Edited by hmtpnw

Girl, I feel ya on the flat thing [emoji23] 
If it helps at all, here is what I ended up with - this blazer and these slacks.
First off, online the navy color looks like it doesn't match, but it's just the images. In person they're a perfect match and are overall more of a dark navy, which I felt was really nice and professional. I got the navy, but they also have it in black.
The slacks appear to be capri length in the picture, but if you have shorter or even average length legs they're more of an ankle length crop which ran true to size for me. All the reviews complain about how they aren't really capris at all, so it seems for most people they're ankle length. I am 5'3" - 5'4"ish, and I will probably actually take them up an inch or two, so even though you're a bit taller than me they may be fine.
The blazer ran one size too big, so I sized down and the fit was amazing. It was a great fit on my waist and was just the right length. Like I said, I will just have to take up the sleeves an inch or so, but otherwise the cut is really flattering for my body type. I would think you could probably order your regular size as it would have more room in the shoulders and then get it altered in other spots. 
Obviously every body is different, but if you order online you can get it shipped for free and just return it if it's not right for you! I ended up ordering probably 4 - 5 suits/outfits before finding the right one because everything I wanted wasn't available in stores ?
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!

Question, for one of my interviews it’s a 2 day thing, the first day is more of a meet and greet and they said “business casual is recommended” the second day is the actual interview where “interview attire is expected”. Obviously I’m going to wear a full black suit I got from Ann Taylor on the second day, but for the first day I wanted some advice on what is considered “business casual” I have This lighter jacket and was going to pair it with black dress pants, and possibly a colored shirt underneath. Is this too casual, I don’t want to be the only one to show up not in a suit on the first day, and also vice versa. Any opinions are valued!!!

In my experience, business casual is definitely not a suit. I'd probably wear a blouse and slacks, but a skirt is also appropriate (obviously not too short of one). This blazer would also be fine if you want, but not necessary.
Good luck!

Question, for one of my interviews it’s a 2 day thing, the first day is more of a meet and greet and they said “business casual is recommended” the second day is the actual interview where “interview attire is expected”. Obviously I’m going to wear a full black suit I got from Ann Taylor on the second day, but for the first day I wanted some advice on what is considered “business casual” I have This lighter jacket and was going to pair it with black dress pants, and possibly a colored shirt underneath. Is this too casual, I don’t want to be the only one to show up not in a suit on the first day, and also vice versa. Any opinions are valued!!!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DarcyJ said:

In my experience, business casual is definitely not a suit. I'd probably wear a blouse and slacks, but a skirt is also appropriate (obviously not too short of one). This blazer would also be fine if you want, but not necessary.
Good luck!

Ahh perfect, thanks so much. My thinking with the blazer too is I can always take it off or keep it on depending on what I see everyone else’s ideas of business casual are. thanks!

2 hours ago, spartan419 said:

Ahh perfect, thanks so much. My thinking with the blazer too is I can always take it off or keep it on depending on what I see everyone else’s ideas of business casual are. thanks!

No problem! Yeah, your thoughts on the blazer sound good. You will be more relaxed feeling prepared for either situation. 

If you go to Macy's they have the exact same suit but cheaper! I bought a similar blazer for $90 and a matching suit pants for around $60. Hope this helps. 

Got my suit at Macy's yesterday! $136 total with sale price and a coupon. I ended up getting a different brand than NW though. Tahari or something like that. Fit my frame much better. Glad I didn't order online though because they both ran big compared to the size chart online.

On 7/5/2018 at 10:29 AM, spartan419 said:

Is this for University of Charleston?

• 1 month later...

As others have mentioned, check department stores like Macy’s and JC Penney’s for sales! I got my suit for just around $100 including tax! I’ve also found Belks to have a good selection of shoes at reasonable prices - or Amazon (free returns if the fit isn’t right). I would recommend heels over flats. Banana Republic *Factory* has nice suits for a reasonable price. I looked there, but the trousers just aren’t the right fit for me. Good luck!

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I purchased a light gray suit from Banana Republic Factory as well as an oxford shirt for less than $185. I also bought a pair of pointed-toe flats in black for a great deal, and I have a pair of black heels (in case I change my mind about wearing flats). If you decide to go with a wide-leg pant, I would wear heels.

My pants are straight-legged so flats or heels will work. 

I don't know if this was already mentioned as I haven't read every post, but I found a really nice suit jacket to go with a skirt at New York and Company. I'm short and petite and had a hard time find something that didn't need tailoring--so this is a good place to look. I also bought a second suit jacket from H&M. Some of their items online seem to be of better quality than what is found in stock in the stores.

I personally will be wearing flats. It's been mentioned frequently that flats are casual and less "put-together" but as someone who wears scrubs and tennis shoes to work everyday, I see no point in being needlessly uncomfortable on campus walks and tours....and also I'd probably fall over.