Interview Attire (women)

I'm thinking of looking at Talbots. Banana Republic looks promising, too, but not cheap. Only they didn't have any classic fits like a boot cut or wider straight leg. And, I don't look good in a skinny leg. So, I'm still not sure yet.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Try department stores like Macy, JCPenny, etc - they are always having sales.  I usually find success at Express, too.

Also consider the suit an investment.  Yea you might have to drop some cash on it, but stick to a neutral (black, navy, grey) then you can just swap out tops and get some mileage out of it during interview season.  If you opt for classic over trendy, you could potentially use it when it comes time for job interviews as well in a few years.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I would personally learn towards pantyhose as opposed to bare legs. 

Also, to me small heels feel a bit more professional than flats, and oftentimes appear more put together. I think flats lean towards casual at times. I do think this comes down to preference though. 

Edit: I will say that pointed toed flats can also be nice and more businessy. 

Edited by hmtpnw
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I bought my interview outfit yesterday from JCPennys. I bought a navy dress and a blazer to match. JCPenny is having a sale on business clothes right now such as blazers and dresses and you get a 25% off coupon for signing up for their text updates!

Earlier that day I had walked around the mall and looked at stores like Banana Republic, Express, etc but I found everything to be too pricey.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, RespiratoryGirl said:

LOFT and Ann Taylor have a great selection of suits including petite, tall and plus sizes

Ah, thanks so much for this!

Just checked out Ann Taylor and they're having a great sale online. 50% off certain pants and blazers. I ordered a two piece gray suit for $125! I am planning to try on the outfit from Macy's and the one from Ann Taylor and pick my favorite. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, futurepackc said:

Any advice on where to find cute pointed toe flats?

H and M or forever 21. Literally $10 to $20 and you can find some really cute stuff. They won’t last forever but they’ll get you through interview season for sure. 

If you’re looking for something nicer, Nordstrom Rack has lots of pointed flats on their website. More in the $30 to $60 range, but it’s designer stuff that has been marked down. 

• Upvote 1

Question for you ladies! I've been working in corporate america for almost 5 years now and for past job interviews I've worn a really nice black (calvin klein) suit jacket with red pants and black pointed toe flats. I love the way this looks and have had many positive comments about the pants. With that being said, I'm not 100% sure red pants is the way to go for a professional school interview. What do you think? Should I invest in a more conventional suit look?

52 minutes ago, egrace said:

Question for you ladies! I've been working in corporate america for almost 5 years now and for past job interviews I've worn a really nice black (calvin klein) suit jacket with red pants and black pointed toe flats. I love the way this looks and have had many positive comments about the pants. With that being said, I'm not 100% sure red pants is the way to go for a professional school interview. What do you think? Should I invest in a more conventional suit look?

From what I have read, professional suits are really the only way to go.

At first I was thinking really nice separates, until I read something along the lines of “my light grey suit REALLY made me stand out in a sea of black and navy suits” when someone was writing about their interview experience. It made me think that I would be pretty uncomfortable in anything other than a full suit. 

You may feel underdressed as this sounds more like an outfit made of nice separates, not a suit. Especially with the red pants. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, egrace said:

Like the previous poster, I can only go based on what I've read and watched on the internet. But, I think that would stand out in a potentially negative way. I think it sounds fantastic, but all it takes is one interviewer who finds it unprofessional for an interview and it could affect your score. 

• Upvote 2