ASTMH CertTrop Exam

Hey all!

I was wondering if anyone has taken the CertTrop exam. I'm planning on taking it this fall. Was wondering how it was and what you used to study for it? I was planning on doing University of Minnesota's review course, but any other guidance would be much obliged.

are you eligible? You need to do an intensive trop med course first, like the Gorgas course, London school of trop med, Liverpool school, etc.

Requirements for the Diploma Course Pathway (please see exam brochure for details)

• Diploma course completion- must be completed prior to submitting exam application
  • Two months overseas experience (format example on page 3 in brochure)
  • Must have current professional health care license
  • Documentation of 15 hours of relevant and current continuing education over the last five years if diploma course was completed over five years ago

Requirements for the Practice Pathway (please see exam brochure for details)

• Two months overseas experience (format example on page 3 in brochure)
  • Five years clinical practice experience
  • Must have current professional health care license
  • Documentation of 30 hours of relevant and current continuing education over the last five years

I did an 11 week certificate program a few years ago(2011), but it was not on the approved list as it was too new. I have the overseas hours to meet the requirement. The minnesota course is several long modules, 2 in person, and about $7500:

https://www.dom.umn.edu/global-medicine/education-training/courses/online/global-health-course

I would like to do it at some point and would like to do the Gorgas course in Peru as prep. Alas, I can't take off 9 weeks and spend> 10k anytime soon...

Yeah I actually took my Diploma of Tropical Medicine course this past Winter while working (blew the lot of my vacation to take it) through BCM which is one of the approved course and have my two months of clinical experience from working in Senegal and Haiti. Funny thing, I was about to message you and ask if you have taken the Cert Trop exam. Trying to take it this year while it's still fresh and not wait the two years.

I got lucky because I'm an instructor for Baylor so I got it at a discounted rate thankfully that was covered for by Baylor with my CME funding.

So 4 modules in all, 2 in person and 2 online. I did the online portions on slow nights running our CPU and then the rest on the weekends. 

Seems like you have enough to sit for the exam EMED based on your clinical experience alone though if you wanted through the practice pathway.

I should have done it in 2011 right after doing a 72 credit 11 week intensive global health certificate course at OHSU:

https://www.ohsu.edu/xd/research/centers-institutes/ohsu-global/education-travel-preparation/ptgh.cfm

I think the new format will be 8 weeks instead of 11. I was the first PA to complete this course designed for specialty physicians who want to volunteer internationally.

I think in the end I'll just pay for the University of Minnesota's online review course/question bank to study for the exam in October, I've heard some good things from a couple of the residents and attendings that have sat for the exam. 

Archived