Sunkist77

Derm PA private vs corporate salary, schedule, etc.

Any derm PA's out there who work at Kaiser, Sutter, CA Skin Institute, Berman, or other larger corporations? I'm working in private practice now and have a lot of flexibility with my schedule which is nice, but not the kind of benefits and salary I think I could potentially have at the other. Could you share your experience as far as schedule, salary and/or benefits? And, if you've worked both private and/or corporate, which do you prefer and why? Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By UCFPA
      Hello I’m a PA with 11 years experience who has worked in hospitalists medicine for over 9, various places.  I’ve been at the same low salary for the past 5 years. 105k 7 on 7 off capped at 8 admissions per day 3-11, no PTO no sick days (have to be made up). I had a talk with them and as a result Ive been offered 125k with quarterly bonuses with an increase in patients. 2500 cme with licenses and fees to come out of the 2500

Pros: Fully Autonomous, flexible on start time, good rapport with boss. Typically done with my cap in 7hrs per day. Essentially working 56 hrs every two weeks, making the hourly rate pretty good. Possibly able to still complete a shift in 9hrs with new cap proposal. 

Cons: Poor communication in the office. Sometimes travel between two facilities  

I reached out to another hospital system in town and the local competition is willing to pay 128k base with 10k bonus divided quarterly. 2500 cme and pay for licensing and fees.  Shift will be ten hrs. 2-midnight. No cap on admissions however told typically 6-7 admissions per night  
      Pros. No travel required, 
      Cons: no access to doc lounge (wth!), likely present every patient to supervising doc, don’t eat free with exception of “doc area” buffet that closes at the start of my shift. Longer shifts.
      My question is are these competitive numbers for the year we are in and also which seems to be the better option?
    • By Paloma
      I'm considering becoming a PA and have always been interested in aesthetic dermatology. I was wondering how content PA's are with specializing in aesthetic dermatology and what kind of work hours there are. Another thing, are the work hours flexible? I'd love to start a family but not sure how much it will affect that. Thank you!
    • By magboo
      So I finally got a job at my dream hospital!! I am currently working there as a Patient Care Technician/ PCT. However, I will be leaving for PA school next year. I really want to return to this hospital and work as a PA! The problem is that getting a job at my hospital is super competitive. Is there a way for me to ensure/ increase my chances of getting a PA job in this facility in the future?

(Also, what do you guys think of requesting a absense of leave instead of quitting? Can I be able to come back to the hospital to pursue a higher position?)

Thanks in advance!
    • By wintal
      Hello,
      Pre-PA here.  I was wondering if anyone has insight into the current and likely future job market in the DFW area, or into saturated markets for PA's in general.  I would intend to live in the DFW area after graduation.  I gather that due to the presence of two PA schools and 3 NP schools in the area that we are pretty saturated.  I'm trying to understand what this means in terms of current and future benefits and salary.
      I am a non-traditional applicant working a job with a good salary currently.  I'm trying to justify foregoing 30 months of salary at my current job for school.  According to data I saw, the average salary in the area is around $103,000.  Is this likely to decline?  Is it possible to make substantially more than this in the area with experience and ability? Are benefits like 401k match and PTO declining? 
      Thank you for your help!

• By Echo29
      Hi All!
      Looking for some thoughts on an urgent care offer in northern NJ.
      Multi specialty practice based urgent care. Mix of acuity. We can get stat CTs.
      $64/hr = 133120 per year
      Hourly not salary
      160 hours PTO
      0 hours CME days
      $1500 CME
      Mix between 12hr (week day 8A-8P) and 9hr (8A-5P) shifts
      4% match 401k
      5% annual bonus
      Approx 20-30 patient's per day
      I have  5 years experience as a PA
      Thanks in advance!

~E

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More