WMU Application Cycle 2018-2019

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/1/2019 at 7:23 PM, HopefulPAgirl said:

Hey you guys! So I applied in July and still haven't received an interview or rejection. I've had no feedback from them since July. I'm thinking that they reject people at the very end. I'm really bummed out but congrats to all those who have received interviews. 🙂 

Yeah, I agree. I figured they wanted to compare everyone against those who applied just before the application closed so I gave up hope months ago.

I also received a rejection today. They did give me advice, but it seemed like advice in general and not for me specifically. They said: ".   I would encourage you to increase your hours of experience, and if any of your prerequisite course work is below a “B”, retake the course to bring the grade up." Did anyone else get this or just me?

I already have like 7000 hours of healthcare experience with over 5000 of those as a patient care associate at a hospital, so I'm not sure how else to bring that up other than... you know... working my job, as I always do. 😞 My GPA isn't great and I've been working on that OUT OF MY OWN POCKET for the last couple of years on a part time basis and the money has run out. I only got below a B in one class (biochem) and quite frankly I've already retaken it once so I don't even think I am capable of doing better as I'm just not great with chemistry.

I feel a bit defeated at the moment but I did kind of expect it.

Well, I wish everyone else luck!

1 hour ago, geek9110 said:

I also received a rejection today. They did give me advice, but it seemed like advice in general and not for me specifically. They said: ".   I would encourage you to increase your hours of experience, and if any of your prerequisite course work is below a “B”, retake the course to bring the grade up." Did anyone else get this or just me?

I already have like 7000 hours of healthcare experience with over 5000 of those as a patient care associate at a hospital, so I'm not sure how else to bring that up other than... you know... working my job, as I always do. 😞 My GPA isn't great and I've been working on that OUT OF MY OWN POCKET for the last couple of years on a part time basis and the money has run out. I only got below a B in one class (biochem) and quite frankly I've already retaken it once so I don't even think I am capable of doing better as I'm just not great with chemistry.

No I received the exact same advice. I am feeling defeated as well... I have a masters degree in biology all health related courses with a GPA of 3.6. My undergraduate GPA is 3.3 I doubled majored in biology and chemistry and yes I know that is on the lower side... hence the masters program. I have no pre reqs lower than a B+... and that is only 2 classes the rest are As. Not only did I get a rejection, but I didn't even have a strong enough application for an interview. I have 3,000 health care hours and I am sill working that job with direct patient care. Not sure where to go from here. Western is the only school I am able to apply/attend as I live at home and that is the only commutable school. A little lost as to where to go from here and how to strengthen my app....

18 hours ago, MullettHN said:

Did they give you any advice?

Nothing more than the generic "increase your hours and retake your classes." I have not reached out for anything more specific. I am in a similar boat and have a masters in bio and a pretty large chunk of patient care experience, research  experience and general HCE so it's definitely frustrating not to be making any headway.  Perhaps since you are local you can reach out and see if they will meet with you individually to get some more specific feedback. If you really want to go there I would encourage you to try that because someone may be willing to sit down with you.

14 hours ago, geek9110 said:

I totally feel you on this one! I have no idea how to make my application better as I am sitting with large amounts of experience and a master's degree with a decent GPA. Maybe you could reach out to them specifically for some more personal feedback and see if they will give you anything else to work off of. Sorry to not be of more help but also know you are not alone! 

23 hours ago, Jcosek said:

Rejection letter today as well. Not sure what else to do. Literally have over 13,000 hours of experience as a respiratory therapist and my grades are well above the minimum 3.0. Better luck next year I guess. 

Hi it sounds like you and I are fairly similar for what qualifies us! I got in this year. I did apply last year and didn’t get an interview. Make sure you have good volunteer work and update your personal statement. It doesn’t matter what your experience is, if they don’t see a passion from your actions, statement and supplemental essay they could very well lose interest. Pretty much all I did was change my personal statement since last year and I got interviews to almost all the schools that I applied to. (Last year I got no interviews) Just trying to help 😊 

I received an email that said they were not giving me an offer at the moment, but that my application would be added to the next group of interviewees. Did anyone else get this kind of email? I'm unsure if this is good or bad news. It was ambiguous to me whether this means I'm on the waitlist or something different..

5 hours ago, SpartanToPA said:

I received an email that said they were not giving me an offer at the moment, but that my application would be added to the next group of interviewees. Did anyone else get this kind of email? I'm unsure if this is good or bad news. It was ambiguous to me whether this means I'm on the waitlist or something different..

That happened to me too - I interviewed 11/16 and got the same email 4 days later. After the next group of interviews was completed on 12/7, I got an email a week after that with my acceptance. So don’t lost hope! I would say it’s not a bad thing because you’re still in the running for a spot in the program 🙂 

On 1/10/2019 at 12:28 AM, nidhi1992 said:

Hi everyone!

I just got an interview yesterday for February 8th. Do I still have a decent shot? I'm not sure how many spots they have left or how many they admit total. If anyone could please comment on that info as well as the interview format, it'd be greatly appreciated! 

Congrats! I think you still have a decent shot, WMU states that their most competitive applicants apply later in the cycle so they are pretty fair with sending interviews out. The interview format is MMIs. When did you submit your app?

On 1/8/2019 at 4:46 PM, Paforumuser said:

Hi it sounds like you and I are fairly similar for what qualifies us! I got in this year. I did apply last year and didn’t get an interview. Make sure you have good volunteer work and update your personal statement. It doesn’t matter what your experience is, if they don’t see a passion from your actions, statement and supplemental essay they could very well lose interest. Pretty much all I did was change my personal statement since last year and I got interviews to almost all the schools that I applied to. (Last year I got no interviews) Just trying to help 😊 

I appreciate your response! I tried to not make my personal statement too boastful. I kept it fairly short (5 paragraphs) and was honest in what I said. Didn’t tell an extravagant story about why I wanted to be a PA. Maybe I need to be a little more creative next time. But I do lack any volunteer hours. What did you do for volunteering if you don’t mind me asking and how many hours did you have? 

18 hours ago, Jcosek said:

I appreciate your response! I tried to not make my personal statement too boastful. I kept it fairly short (5 paragraphs) and was honest in what I said. Didn’t tell an extravagant story about why I wanted to be a PA. Maybe I need to be a little more creative next time. But I do lack any volunteer hours. What did you do for volunteering if you don’t mind me asking and how many hours did you have? 

My first personal statement was the same way. My statement this time around contained very specific stories with lots of details. It made my statement much more powerful and passionate. Volunteer wise I went on medical mission trips. I did fundraising by doing things such as making/ selling Christmas ornaments (that covered about $800!) I had about 100 hours. If you have any other questions please let me know 😊

On 1/8/2019 at 11:25 AM, GApeachPA said:

Nothing more than the generic "increase your hours and retake your classes." I have not reached out for anything more specific. I am in a similar boat and have a masters in bio and a pretty large chunk of patient care experience, research  experience and general HCE so it's definitely frustrating not to be making any headway.  Perhaps since you are local you can reach out and see if they will meet with you individually to get some more specific feedback. If you really want to go there I would encourage you to try that because someone may be willing to sit down with you.

Any idea how to contact them directly?

Archived