Case Western Application Process 2018-2019

2 hours ago, Lilac1 said:

Does anyone know how many spots are available this year? 

I have not heard anything for sure about this incoming class. Their eventual goal is to get to 50 but our class maximum was 36. We have 35. I expect it will be around that again for this year. 36-40 is probably their range. 

2 hours ago, Lilac1 said:

Thanks for your speedy reply.

Any advice for the 3 interviews is welcome and appreciated! How many candidates go through each day and do they ask crazy questions? I’ve heard some are way out there at some schools. 

Unless they’ve changed something, during last year’s interviews they had maybe 10-12 people in each session with 2 sessions per day. So one group starts at 730ish and the other starts at 10ish. Both eat lunch together and with current first years. 

The interciews themselves are pretty routine. Typical questions with an odd one thrown in see how you react. As robins said, 1 interview with you plus 2 interviewers and the other 2 for me for 1 on 1. No groups. Our director, prof lord, gives a presentation on the program but doesn’t interview with anyone. 

As always, just be yourself and be prepared for typical interview questions. Hope this helps! 

• Upvote 1

On 9/13/2018 at 11:14 PM, pharynxlarynxshmarynx said:

For all those who received interview invitations, when did CWRU officially receive your application?

I think I applied to Case in late July. They look at everyone as long as it's submitted before the deadline. I think I got my interview invite in September around this time last year. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Prepa70 said:

Any current students willing to talk about their experience in the program to make the decision on what school to attend a bit easier? I’d greatly appreciate it!

As I'm sure you found out, there are tons of opportunities to get involved with the community, some of which are required and others which are not. That seems to be a big draw. The first years (which includes me) have not started our pre clinicals yet but getting that exposure before the real clinicals begin will definitely give a head start for when it really matters. 

I will say, don't choose CWRU if you want coddled and everything put in order for you. This program is fast paced so it's essential to be ready to go as soon as each semester starts. But above all, choose a program that you will feel comfortable at for the next 2+ years. 

• Upvote 1

I was wondering the same thing as @Prepa70, if you are a first/second year student, how much do you feel that you have time to study? When I was at my interview a few first years were mentioning that a lot of the time apart from class is spent on community work (which is great) but that there is very limited time to study because of that. I was just hoping to hear other student's perspective on this and how you feel it's impacting (good/poorly) your study time? I know Case is really invested in community work as compared to other programs so I'm just trying to gauge the program to my study style. Thanks ahead of time for the feedback!

Not alot of study time. You will absolutely have to study on weekends unless you're capable of comprehending and taking in alot of info during lectures. I'm not great about that so I spend a ton of time on weekends studying. Just really depends on your study habits like you're saying. 

Most weeks during fall (and spring Im assuming) you'll have at least 1 and usually 2 exams. They do try to space them out (like tuesday and thursday ) but still makes it tough. The community service events so far for me have been a get away from routine school stuff though so it helps. 

11 hours ago, pharynxlarynxshmarynx said:

Has anybody received a rejection? I still have yet to hear anything and my app was complete in August.

I do not believe they give rejection letters. They may keep apps on file in case interviewers decide not to attend and pull from those lists. But I wouldnt expect to hear anything until at least December. If you do not receive an interview invite by early December, you can assume you wont. The last interview day for this year is December 6th. There are still days this week and November coming up too. 

30 minutes ago, mortc15 said:

I do not believe they give rejection letters. They may keep apps on file in case interviewers decide not to attend and pull from those lists. But I wouldnt expect to hear anything until at least December. If you do not receive an interview invite by early December, you can assume you wont. The last interview day for this year is December 6th. There are still days this week and November coming up too. 

I actually did get a rejection email around mid-November last year so I think they do send out rejections along the way. I don't know anything about their process though so not much insight on who/when/how they decide to do it that way 

1 hour ago, GApeachPA said:

I actually did get a rejection email around mid-November last year so I think they do send out rejections along the way. I don't know anything about their process though so not much insight on who/when/how they decide to do it that way 

Hmm. Thanks for the insight. I dont recall anyone mentioning last cycle that was posted on here about receiving one. We receive very little info about the interview process as current students.