Interviews

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a first year PA student at Midwestern, and they'll begin as early as September with the interviews. In fact, one of our professors told us that it will be as soon as a few weeks when we start having students come to campus for their interviews. However, don't let that get you down if you haven't received notification yet! There are quite a few in my class now that didn't interview until January. Just be patient and hope for the best! Good luck to you guys. If you end up getting an interview I'm sure I'll see you guys around...

Same thing for me (got the email on Sat too to pick between the 2 days) except I submitted CASPA in early July. My interview is Oct 1. Be patient....sounds like the interviews have just begun. Good luck!

i submitted my Caspa may 22nd just received an email last saturday to pick between 2 dates sept 17 and oct 1. The following interview dates havent been announced yet, but they did tell me that the next one will most likely be Oct 29th.

Our program director just informed us of the large amount of students applying, nearly 1300 thus far, so good luck to everyone that is in the process of applying, waiting for a response, or preparing for the interview. Our class was just handed out sign up sheets for being there for everyone's interviews (to answer questions, give tours, etc...), and we are all thrilled to meet you all. We know what its like! We were in exactly the same position only one year ago.

It looks as if the first round of interviews begins a week from this coming Friday! I'll be at the October 29th interview date, and I'm anxious to meet you all!

If I haven't heard from them does that mean I did not get accepted? Do they send emails that they will not consider you for an interview? I see posts here about their interview dates and since I haven't heard anything I am assuming I didn't make the cut most especially if there is a large amount applying this year.

Nooo noo. Don't get caught up in thinking one way or the other yet. It's still quite early. I know quite of few students who didn't get an interview until December/January. Actually, the large amount of students should give you a little more comfort in knowing that the main reason you haven't heard anything from them is probably due to the number of applicants they have to sort through. I remember not hearing about my interview date until September/October - and we were considered "the early ones". It just takes some time. Also know this: at my interview, there were multiple students who had applied to 10+ schools (some in upwards of 15 or 16), so don't be down about your chances just because of the number of applicants. Just because there are 1300 applicants (ballpark number), doesn't mean there are 1300 applicants who would accept an interview if they recieved it. I receieved 3 interview invites that I did not accept during my application phase.

Don't be discouraged.

If by "look like", you mean, how is it structured, and what to expect - I can give you a little insight.

I interviewed at both Midwesterns, and they were nearly identical, apart from the order that things were done in the day. I assume it'll be similar to what we experienced last year. Essentially, the interview itself is only one part of the day as a whole. For the first part, you'll probably be getting an introduction by the PA staff, general information about what to expect, information about the program, and time allotted for questions and answers. It's as much of an interview of the school by you as it is an interview of you by the school. They want to show off why they're a good school, and shed light on if you'd be a good fit for the school. There will also be a small presentation by our class president and VP - both very cool people. I'm sure they'll make you feel welcome.

The day will consist of tours (by our class), lunch - a time at which you can discuss questions and concerns in a much more informal matter with our class - and time to interact with possible classmates you'll be with next year. You'll also have the oppurtunity to sit in on one of our classes - to guage a little bit about what it's like for us. I believe those of you who are coming before thanksgiving will probably be sitting in on our Pharmacology I class. Not too exciting, but a chance for you to see the dynamic of our classroom. (If you were to sit in on our class from 8-9 you could sit in on Physio, a MUCH more interesting class, in my opinion).

The actually interview itself is a group session, probably around 3-4 students with 2 faculty members. The questions will vary, but it will range from broad questions to the group as a whole, to specifics about yourself, your past, and how you are in the position you are now. They want to guage if you are "a right fit for this school" (something they will say regularly). Just be honest, don't give canned answers, and speak from personal experience. They know you're going to be nervous - and they'll take that into account. I believe the interview is semi-blind. In other words, the interviewers won't know where you went to undergrad, the classes you took, your GPA, or extracurriculars. They may only have a your personal statement, and past work experience. Remember - find something that sets you apart.

There may also be a writing exercise as well - at least there was for us. You can't really prepare for it, but I'm sure you'll be fine. It's usually a question about some aspect of health care, and your opinoin on the matter. Don't worry - you guys will do great. Good luck to you all!

jordan

A friend told me about the interview and she said,

"The actual interview is not long, but the day is pretty long...you have to be there in the morning, you do some meetings and go on a tour, you do a writing sample, you have lunch with current PA students, and at the end you do the interview.

My best advice for you for the interview is just relax as much as you can, and be yourself. I know how hard it is to be calm, but there is actually just one interview, and it is a group interview (usually 3 interviewees with 2 faculty). But, it's not hard to get time to talk because they make sure that each of you answer their questions. The faculty here is great, so I felt pretty comfortable."

Hope that helps!

I know those of you going today won't get this until afterwards, but I hope everything went well! You all looked very professional, and I hope you enjoyed your time at MWU. You were the first group of interviewers, and we were all very excited to see you all. I hope those from our class that you met were warm and welcoming. We've got a great group of people in our class, so I don't think that'll be a problem. I hope the interview itself went well!

And I did see some of you guys today - but Pharm was our last class of the day (done at 10:00 am = best freaking day of the week) and I was desperate for coffee, so I headed out of the classroom relatively quickly...haha.

Good luck to those of you, also, who are still waiting! There's still a TON of time left, so don't worry. Patience is a virtue after all!

jordan

Hey Jordan,

I interviewed at Midwestern in AZ recently and the campus is really nice! Is the Downer's Grove campus similar? Also, the interview at AZ was pretty laid back, kind of nice to have a group interview. Do you think the questions/ interview at the Glendale campus is similar to the Downer's Grove format?

Just curious, is there any thing you liked more about the Downer's Grove campus vs Glendales?

Thanks!

hi,

i have the same question! i want to go to MWU. just not sure if i'd rather go in IL or AZ. just attended the open house at MWU IL and i was SO SO SO impressed with the director, faculty, class pres, etc. i can see that it's such a quality education and worth the cost (man is it expensive there!)... but i am not sure how to compare the two. i have interviews at both so i think once i go to both interviews i will have a preference but i am wondering if Jordan can maybe explain why he chose IL over AZ -- did you get into both?

thanks!

Hello again,

To start off - I've answered this question before for someone else in a private message, I'm just going to copy down what I wrote for them for my answer - I hope you don't mind..haha. I did get accepted into both programs, but after visiting both schools and weighing the choices, MWU became my number one choice. I think both Erin and Desmond were at your guys' information session (Pres and VP - I know at least Erin was) and they're both very cool people. I'm glad to hear that they represented our program well. Also - our faculty and staff in the PA program are AWESOME. Very friendly, warm, welcoming, and accomodating.

I chose Downers Grove for a number of reasons. I want to begin by saying that most, if not all, of these reasons are strictly my preference. I think most that would have to choose between the two schools would base it on personal preferences, rather than academic reasons. (both great schools, mind you) The most influential reason was location. I have always lived in the midwest. I've lived in IL for 20 or so years, but also did my undergrad in IN. So, suffice it to say that most of my friends and family are all within driving distance (relatively...).

The other main reason was weather. Most would probably use this as a reason to choose AZ, but I like the weather in IL. I like the 4 seasons, cold winters, snow, rain, fall, spring, etc... I've also heard AZ in the summer is torture (but the whole rest of the year is heavenly - so take your pick!)

Lastly, Downers Grove (or Lombard, which is where I live), is a great area. It's a quite an upscale area, and there is soooo much to do. Not that there is nothing to do in Phoenix, but I just had a preference for the area that IL's campus was in. The train is about 5 minutes away, and you can take it and be in Downtown in less than an 40 min to an hour (or drive there and be there in about 30-45 min).

To be fair, I'll say this as well. Because AZ's campus was not the "founding" Midwestern, it is newer. Their campus was a little nicer, more spread out, and had great facilities. Downers Grove is slightly older (kept up with technology for sure) but its something you may notice (these cosmetic differences you will see when you visit the different campuses). Though, there are quite a few trees on this campus (surprisingly enough, being in a suburb of Chicago). I would think most people who are choosing between the two Midwesterns, would choose one over the other almost entirely on location. Though the programs tout the fact that they are two completely different schools - they share a lot of the same qualities. If you have a chance to visit both schools - just get a "feel" for how it is there. Look at the area surrounding it, the city, and the people you run into. As I said before, I'm from Illinois and like it here - that was the main contributor to my choice. Both are high quality institutions.

Please let me know if you have any questions! I know there's a group coming to interview next Friday! Good luck to you all!!

jordan

Archived