GVSU 2018-2019 Application Cycle

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, plumbbr said:

I will be interviewing at 9am!

Very nice! I will be interviewing at 1:30 pm. I found it very helpful that they gave a general outline of the day on their website, but I wondered if anyone has, or knows anyone that has interviewed at GVSU. Tips/insights?! ?

8 minutes ago, ktaylor3 said:

Very nice! I will be interviewing at 1:30 pm. I found it very helpful that they gave a general outline of the day on their website, but I wondered if anyone has, or knows anyone that has interviewed at GVSU. Tips/insights?! ?

All I know is that it's an MMI, and from a PA I shadowed who went to GV, he said the interview was "weird". My current pathophysiology professor is a PA and went to GV, maybe I'll hit her up for some helpful hints this week in class ? 

3 hours ago, plumbbr said:

All I know is that it's an MMI, and from a PA I shadowed who went to GV, he said the interview was "weird". My current pathophysiology professor is a PA and went to GV, maybe I'll hit her up for some helpful hints this week in class ? 

Thank you for the info!! I heard there was also a short essay portion too. That is very helpful, if she has any more information about the interview structure would you mind sharing?

I'm trying to prepare as much as I can so my nerves don't get the best of me ?

Hello everyone! I am a current GV PA student and was in your shoes last year. A few pieces of advice 

1) Do not stress about the interview! I would not say it is weird at all and is very relaxed. Unless you heard from a reliable source they recently changed the interview format, it is not an MMI. One session during they day they pull you into a room and simply ask you individually a few questions and are based around the common ones that you should be expecting to prepare for (time management, what is a PA, why do you want to be a PA....). There is an essay portion, but I really enjoyed that as the question wasn’t “difficult” and allowed me to show my personality on paper.  You will also get a chance to meet with our program director and us (the students) to tour our facilities and learn about how we do things. Overall I felt very relaxed and comfortable, ultimately showing me why I wanted to attend! 

2) If your school has a career center, I HIGHLY recommend scheduling a mock interview. I found this helpful to have someone listen and help correctly word your answers and get some nerves out. 

3) if you are on the interview alternate list, don’t stress! I was on this list and a slot opened up for me last minute (like a week before the interview). After the interview I was accepted (not even waitlisted). So don’t let this discourage you! If being a PA truly is your end goal, you will get there one one day. Best of luck!

35 minutes ago, TheNewPAs said:

Hello everyone! I am a current GV PA student and was in your shoes last year. A few pieces of advice 

1) Do not stress about the interview! I would not say it is weird at all and is very relaxed. Unless you heard from a reliable source they recently changed the interview format, it is not an MMI. One session during they day they pull you into a room and simply ask you individually a few questions and are based around the common ones that you should be expecting to prepare for (time management, what is a PA, why do you want to be a PA....). There is an essay portion, but I really enjoyed that as the question wasn’t “difficult” and allowed me to show my personality on paper.  You will also get a chance to meet with our program director and us (the students) to tour our facilities and learn about how we do rbinfs. Overall I felt very relaxed and comfortable, ultimately showing me why I wanted to attend! 

2) If your school has a career center, I HIGHLY recommend scheduling a mock interview. I found this helpful to have someone listen and help correctly word your answers and get some nerves out. 

3) if you are on the interview alternate list, don’t stress! I was on this list and a slot opened up for me last minute (like a week before the interview). After the interview I was accepted (not even waitlisted). So don’t let this discourage you! If being a PA truly is your end goal, you will get there one one day. Best of luck!

Thank you so much for the info! This is very helpful ? 

50 minutes ago, TheNewPAs said:

1) Do not stress about the interview! I would not say it is weird at all and is very relaxed. Unless you heard from a reliable source they recently changed the interview format, it is not an MMI. One session during they day they pull you into a room and simply ask you individually a few questions and are based around the common ones that you should be expecting to prepare for (time management, what is a PA, why do you want to be a PA....). There is an essay portion, but I really enjoyed that as the question wasn’t “difficult” and allowed me to show my personality on paper.  You will also get a chance to meet with our program director and us (the students) to tour our facilities and learn about how we do rbinfs. Overall I felt very relaxed and comfortable, ultimately showing me why I wanted to attend! 

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I really appreciate your helpful response ?

10 hours ago, TheNewPAs said:

1) Do not stress about the interview! I would not say it is weird at all and is very relaxed. Unless you heard from a reliable source they recently changed the interview format, it is not an MMI. One session during they day they pull you into a room and simply ask you individually a few questions and are based around the common ones that you should be expecting to prepare for (time management, what is a PA, why do you want to be a PA....). There is an essay portion, but I really enjoyed that as the question wasn’t “difficult” and allowed me to show my personality on paper.  You will also get a chance to meet with our program director and us (the students) to tour our facilities and learn about how we do things. Overall I felt very relaxed and comfortable, ultimately showing me why I wanted to attend! 

Your advice is very much appreciated!!! Thank you. Hope your first few months of school have been going well so far! 

1 minute ago, kvitello said:

Has anyone on the alternate interview list gotten a decision yet?

Just letting you know- there are 7 slots still available for interview times in GR and they said we have until November 1st to register for a slot. You probably won’t hear back until after nov 1st, and every day leading up to the interview people may give up their slots bc they heard back from other programs (I know some other MI schools *may* send decisions before Nov 9th).

I got waitlisted for an interview at another school and they actually never sent out emails saying the interviews were over and it’s a no, even though I know that to be true. So they may not even give you a straight up no ??‍♀️

19 minutes ago, LER21 said:

Just letting you know- there are 7 slots still available for interview times in GR and they said we have until November 1st to register for a slot. You probably won’t hear back until after nov 1st, and every day leading up to the interview people may give up their slots bc they heard back from other programs (I know some other MI schools *may* send decisions before Nov 9th).

I got waitlisted for an interview at another school and they actually never sent out emails saying the interviews were over and it’s a no, even though I know that to be true. So they may not even give you a straight up no ??‍♀️

Thanks for your response! I contacted Valinda and she said that I should find out before November 1st, which I thought was a little confusing given the timeline invited students have to accept or decline. 

2 hours ago, JessieZ27 said:

Still waiting to hear if I made it off the wait list interview. Any word today? 

They sent out the interview confirmation and more details like parking for interview day today. The email did say if you do not plan to attend the interview, to let them know asap. I would think that they have already notified the alternates at this point, but I haven't seen any posts on here of people confirming that. Maybe they plan on dong that Monday, after the interviewees who received their emails today have that one last chance to decline their spot?

Archived