Jump to content
KrebsCycle

MGH Institute of Health Professions: Application Cycle 2018-2019

Recommended Posts

On 9/26/2018 at 11:10 AM, MorganT said:

I received an e-mail this morning for an interview on Nov 2nd! Good luck to everyone!

I also received an interview for nov 2nd!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 3:14 PM, Gemeinschaftsgefuhl said:

This is a personal question from a stranger - so I would understand if you would rather not discuss it.

If you would however - might I ask why you turned it down? Especially given that you work for the mass general health system?  Any likes / dislikes you care to share about the work / learning environment?  
 

Of course! I'll start by saying that I love MGH and working for Partners. The #1 reason I turned down/cancelled all of my interviews is that I recently got into Drexel, a program that I fell in love with.

MGH IHP is the only school I applied to in Boston because after 5 years here, I am ready to leave. I'll always have a special place in my heart for this city but the cost of living is just too high and the size is a bit too small for me. This is obviously my own opinion and I know plenty of people that disagree.

As for the program, it is very new and still provisionally accredited. I know that the nursing programs at MGH IHP are very disorganized. Not sure if the PA program is the same way but I took that as a red flag. I know some people prefer newer programs because they are generally more flexible and take students thoughts and recommendations seriously. Personally, I would prefer an established program that is tried and true.

It's also pretty expensive. This reason is pretty self-explanatory and not an issue for everyone.

Anyway, that's just my two cents. I went to school with and worked with someone that just started there and she was so set on the program that she risked turning down other offers to be pulled off the waitlist. The name is great and having connections with MGH and the ability to rotate here is definitely a HUGE plus. I feel fortunate to already have my foot in the door here and hope to maintain my connections despite leaving for Drexel.

I hope this helps! Feel free to ask anything else.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mave6 said:

Does anyone know what we do during the small group session?

 

From what I've read and researched regarding small group interviews (and from personal experience in an interview), this section can vary greatly from school to school. I've heard of a few formats, the most common being:

1. our group will be seated in a row... when they ask a question, we answer in the order in which we are seated (1, 2, 3, 4, 5 then 2, 3, 4, 5, 1 etc etc so each person has a chance to go first)

2. our group works together to solve a problem (or some other form of a team-based activity to demonstrate how you work with others)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 8:57 PM, EllisAKfuturePA said:

From what I've read and researched regarding small group interviews (and from personal experience in an interview), this section can vary greatly from school to school. I've heard of a few formats, the most common being:

1. our group will be seated in a row... when they ask a question, we answer in the order in which we are seated (1, 2, 3, 4, 5 then 2, 3, 4, 5, 1 etc etc so each person has a chance to go first)

2. our group works together to solve a problem (or some other form of a team-based activity to demonstrate how you work with others)

I interviewed last year and was invited back this year after being waitlisted(SO HAPPY- I loved this program!) Here is how our interview went last year:

Informal Q&A with faculty

Informal Q&A with students, and also a student-led tour

Individual interviews, we had 2 interviewers

Group session, where we did have to work together to solve a problem. This was actually so much fun despite the pressure.

 

Good luck everyone! I am really hoping for the best this year.

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Vtanguay said:

I interviewed last year and was invited back this year after being waitlisted(SO HAPPY- I loved this program!) Here is how our interview went last year:

Informal Q&A with faculty

Informal Q&A with students, and also a student-led tour

Individual interviews, we had 2 interviewers

Group session, where we did have to work together to solve a problem. This was actually so much fun despite the pressure.

 

Good luck everyone! I am really hoping for the best this year.

 

Did you reapply this year or just got called back from last year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/1/2018 at 10:04 AM, sgc15 said:

 

It's also pretty expensive. This reason is pretty self-explanatory and not an issue for everyone.

Anyway, that's just my two cents. I went to school with and worked with someone that just started there and she was so set on the program that she risked turning down other offers to be pulled off the waitlist. The name is great and having connections with MGH and the ability to rotate here is definitely a HUGE plus. I feel fortunate to already have my foot in the door here and hope to maintain my connections despite leaving for Drexel.

I hope this helps! Feel free to ask anything else.

Thank you very much for replying, that is very helpful.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2018 at 5:15 PM, EllisAKfuturePA said:

Congrats!! I'll be interviewing on 11/3 as well! I'd love to meet up on Friday night before the big day if anyone is interested? I figure that way we'll see some familiar faces on Saturday when our nerves start to kick in and we can all feel a little more at ease. I'll be flying in Friday afternoon. Would love to connect! @Gemeinschaftsgefuhl @jen72@TIS93@kjime002@Helidude135

Also Interview on 11/3 and would love to join you guys! ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello everyone! I will be interviewing on 11/2 and am very excited. I will be coming from California Bay Area and will be by myself. I am flying in on Wednesday night and am wondering if there is anyone else in the same boat who would want to meet up on Thursday sometime? Let me know!

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2018 at 1:43 PM, ashley15 said:

Hello everyone! I will be interviewing on 11/2 and am very excited. I will be coming from California Bay Area and will be by myself. I am flying in on Wednesday night and am wondering if there is anyone else in the same boat who would want to meet up on Thursday sometime? Let me know!

I would if I was going to be there sooner! I don't arrive until Friday at 7pm because I can't miss class on Friday AM! I think several of us are planning to meet up for a little while Friday evening. I know we have an early morning so nothing late/crazy, it will just be nice to meet so the following day we can all see some familiar faces! ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, EllisAKfuturePA said:

I would if I was going to be there sooner! I don't arrive until Friday at 7pm because I can't miss class on Friday AM! I think several of us are planning to meet up for a little while Friday evening. I know we have an early morning so nothing late/crazy, it will just be nice to meet so the following day we can all see some familiar faces! ?

Aw bummer! I have to leave Friday after the interview to get back for work on Saturday. If anyone else will be there on Thursday let me know! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey all. So I was in your shoes last year. I'm a current student here, and I'll be seeing some of you on the 3rd. If you have some questions about the program and Boston, I'd be happy to answer what I can.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys! I will be interviewing on the 2nd as well. I'd be happy to meet up on the 1st or celebrate after our day is over. Looking forward to meeting with everyone!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm getting a few questions that are similar about the program. If you guys are meeting up, I can meet up with you guys before your interview. A couple classmates may be willing too also. We can talk to you guys about the program and answer some questions about MGH and the Boston area. If you want me or my classmates to join you on your meetup just let me know. I think that way we could answer some questions. I obviously can't tell you details on the interview process, but I remember the anxiety I had before interviewing and maybe we can help alleviate some of that.

As for things to do in Boston. It all depends how long you will be here. The north end is closest to campus and it is near downtown Boston. Boston is literally a "little big city". Size wise you can cover most of it in a day. While you are here, definitely check out downtown Boston, walk through Harvard and visit Harvard square. MIT is not far from Harvard. Visit Boston Commons " Boston's Central Park".  Walk around Backbay and visit the cobblestone streets with the brownstone buildings. Eat some pizza at Regina's, and try cannolis at Mike's Pastry and Modern ( they are competitors) and decide which you like best in the North End. If you are here on Saturday, go to Haymarket and get some cheap fruits/veggies from the outdoor market. Walk the freedom trail (that will take you through the "big" parts of Boston). Mmmm, can't think of anything else locally at the moment.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, W323057 said:

I'm getting a few questions that are similar about the program. If you guys are meeting up, I can meet up with you guys before your interview. A couple classmates may be willing too also. We can talk to you guys about the program and answer some questions about MGH and the Boston area. If you want me or my classmates to join you on your meetup just let me know. I think that way we could answer some questions. I obviously can't tell you details on the interview process, but I remember the anxiety I had before interviewing and maybe we can help alleviate some of that.

As for things to do in Boston. It all depends how long you will be here. The north end is closest to campus and it is near downtown Boston. Boston is literally a "little big city". Size wise you can cover most of it in a day. While you are here, definitely check out downtown Boston, walk through Harvard and visit Harvard square. MIT is not far from Harvard. Visit Boston Commons " Boston's Central Park".  Walk around Backbay and visit the cobblestone streets with the brownstone buildings. Eat some pizza at Regina's, and try cannolis at Mike's Pastry and Modern ( they are competitors) and decide which you like best in the North End. If you are here on Saturday, go to Haymarket and get some cheap fruits/veggies from the outdoor market. Walk the freedom trail (that will take you through the "big" parts of Boston). Mmmm, can't think of anything else locally at the moment.

This is so incredibly helpful!! Thank you!! It would be really awesome if you could meet up with us on Friday evening. ?

Unfortunately I'm not going to land at BOS until about 7/7:15 or so, but I'm thinking I'll head straight to wherever we all decide to meet from the airport. Should we plan on meeting around 7:30/7:45 on Friday 11/2?

Re: locations for meetup - how do you guys and gals feel about going to the Navy Yard Bistro (right next to campus)? That way, we'll be familiar with our surroundings the following morning. One less unknown!

If you all don't want to do that - we could go to Regina's Pizza on Thatcher St (in Boston over the bridge from campus) OR there's another spot near-ish campus called Brewer's Fork. I'm down for whatever the majority wants to do, but I vote for the Navy Yard Bistro though because I'd really love to see the campus before we show up the day of the interview! Let me know what you guys think.

ALSO - where are you guys staying? I tried to get a room in early October at the Constitution Inn right near campus but they were totally booked, looked at Air BnBs and nothing was close enough, so I settled on staying at La Quinta Inn and Suites in Sommersville. If anyone else is staying there and wants to Uber over together in the morning, we can share a car!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One more thing, if those of you interviewing 11/3 and planning to meet up on Fri 11/2 want to PM me your emails, I'll start an email chain so we can coordinate details (that way we won't drive everyone else crazy on here haha)...

 

EDIT: @Helidude135 just reminded me we have a facebook group already so we can communicate there. ?

@W323057 we can add you in or I can just email you with the details once we have them nailed down.

Edited by EllisAKfuturePA
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More