MGH Institute of Health Professions: Application Cycle 2018-2019

On 10/13/2018 at 11:43 AM, ashley15 said:

Hello everyone! I will be interviewing on 11/2 and am very excited. I will be coming from California Bay Area and will be by myself. I am flying in on Wednesday night and am wondering if there is anyone else in the same boat who would want to meet up on Thursday sometime? Let me know!

I am identical to your situation but flying from New Mexico. I would be open to meeting anyone in this circumstance beforehand also. Additionally, does anyone have any idea how many applicants they are interviewing and how many seats they plan on offering?? Thanks!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, RussAllen said:

I am identical to your situation but flying from New Mexico. I would be open to meeting anyone in this circumstance beforehand also. Additionally, does anyone have any idea how many applicants they are interviewing and how many seats they plan on offering?? Thanks!

I'm also flying in from Southern California on Wednesday night. Would love to meet up with anyone on Thursday night! Also, where are you guys staying? 

On 10/24/2018 at 3:29 PM, rno said:

I'm also flying in from Southern California on Wednesday night. Would love to meet up with anyone on Thursday night! Also, where are you guys staying? 

Awesome! Anyone interested in meeting up Thursday night/day that's scheduled to interview the 2nd send me a direct message! Lets try to coordinate something! I am staying close to the navy yard, about 10 minutes away. I believe the hotel is TownePlace Suites Boston Logan Airport. 

On 10/21/2018 at 9:13 PM, W323057 said:

Hey all. So I was in your shoes last year. I'm a current student here, and I'll be seeing some of you on the 3rd. If you have some questions about the program and Boston, I'd be happy to answer what I can.

That is tremendously gracious of you to offer, and it certainly says something about you and the program!

I am greatly looking forward to meeting you on the 3rd if not sooner. I am staying with my sister in Westborough so not sure if I will come into town on the 3rd or not.  If people are meeting up I certainly will!

If you are still willing to answer some questions publicly - 

• What was biggest surprise during the didactic year about PA Student life?
  • Someone familiar with the nursing program at MGH states that the "newness" of the program is apparent.  Do you agree with that position?  Any upsides / downsides that you are willing to share?
  • I get the sense that this program values diversity in life and professional experiences.  What does that look like in your cohort?  Are most continuing education students with advance degrees in other fields?  Mostly recent undergrad graduates with some patient care experience? 
  • What do you like the most about going to MGH?
  • What the heck should we call the program / institute when speaking out-loud?  "MGH"?  "Mass General Hospital Institute"  "Mass Gen PA Program"
  •  Will the Sawks win the world series?  

Thanks and see you in a week!   

On 10/28/2018 at 12:57 AM, Gemeinschaftsgefuhl said:

That is tremendously gracious of you to offer, and it certainly says something about you and the program!

I am greatly looking forward to meeting you on the 3rd if not sooner. I am staying with my sister in Westborough so not sure if I will come into town on the 3rd or not.  If people are meeting up I certainly will!

If you are still willing to answer some questions publicly - 

• What was biggest surprise during the didactic year about PA Student life?
  • Someone familiar with the nursing program at MGH states that the "newness" of the program is apparent.  Do you agree with that position?  Any upsides / downsides that you are willing to share?
  • I get the sense that this program values diversity in life and professional experiences.  What does that look like in your cohort?  Are most continuing education students with advance degrees in other fields?  Mostly recent undergrad graduates with some patient care experience? 
  • What do you like the most about going to MGH?
  • What the heck should we call the program / institute when speaking out-loud?  "MGH"?  "Mass General Hospital Institute"  "Mass Gen PA Program"
  •  Will the Sawks win the world series?  

Thanks and see you in a week!   

Hey, Just saw this, been a busy week. I'll answer from my experiences.

What was the biggest surprise during the didactic year about PA Student life?

The biggest surprise for me was the pace of the learning. I knew it was a lot of material that I would be learning at once, but I didn't fully understand how much information. You quickly adapt to it though. 

The newness of the program...

Yes and no. It is apparent in some instances in that we are the smallest program at the moment. One of our faculty is the president-elect of MAPA, the Massachusetts Physician Assistant Association. So we are known around the Boston and Massachusetts area. I am part of my classes SGA, and one of the things that we are working on is creating a social network between all the pa schools in and near the Boston area. Our program does have a good reputation with preceptors and with the faculty within the institute.  We are not as big as the nursing program, but I think that is helpful. My class is the 4th class, I believe, and one of the good things about being relatively new is that our feedback and recommendations are implemented fairly quickly. This helps to improve learning and create opportunities for us and future classes. So far, if I am honest, I do not see a downside of being a relatively new program. I was worried about it before I came into the program, but the faculty here is very good at making sure we succeed as professionals.

What do you like the most about going to MGH?

answered above

What the heck should we call the program / institute when speaking out-loud? 

Hahaha this made me laugh. Just MGH or IHP. Anyone you talk to at the school will know what you mean when you say MHG. Now when talking to people on the street or the actual hospital we just say MGH IHP.

Will the socks win?

I don't know :P. I haven't followed the series. All of Boston seems to think so ?

7 hours ago, PAapplicant20189 said:

Hello! I am coming into Boston Wed night for 11/2 interview. Please let me know if you would like to meet up beforehand on Thursday, I was thinking about grabbing some coffee and exploring the campus. If any current MGH PA students are free to meet up as well, that would be awesome! 

I am flying in tomorrow night as well. Would love to meet up Thursday!

On 10/29/2018 at 11:05 PM, W323057 said:

Will the socks win?

I don't know :P. I haven't followed the series. All of Boston seems to think so ?

There are some people of sound mind and judgement in Boston it would seem, not that I had any doubts.

Thank you very much for answering those questions, it was very helpful for going into this weekend.  

For all else, hope the 11/2 interviews went well and look forward to meeting people tonight and / or tomorrow.

I haven't left VT yet, so not sure if I'll make it the Navy Yard tonight - gonna do my best!  

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone! Just wanted to check-in and see how everyone is holding up during the post-interview waiting period.

I honestly had so much fun during the interview day (once my initial nerves subsided) and felt incredibly comfortable at MGH.. it just felt "right" and I can 100% see myself fitting in/feeling at-home within the community they've built there. Did anyone else feel this way through their experience?

I am so very hopeful for an acceptance! For now, I am committing to staying patient and positive - and hope that you all are, too. No matter the outcome, we should all feel incredibly proud for making it this far! 🙂

11 hours ago, EllisAKfuturePA said:

Hey everyone! Just wanted to check-in and see how everyone is holding up during the post-interview waiting period.

I honestly had so much fun during the interview day (once my initial nerves subsided) and felt incredibly comfortable at MGH.. it just felt "right" and I can 100% see myself fitting in/feeling at-home within the community they've built there. Did anyone else feel this way through their experience?

I am so very hopeful for an acceptance! For now, I am committing to staying patient and positive - and hope that you all are, too. No matter the outcome, we should all feel incredibly proud for making it this far! 🙂

I completely agree! They were so warm and welcoming. Counting down the days and hours until they notify us and keeping my fingers and toes crossed! 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived