Hello, I am a future PA student and am curious about other opinions on this very important topic. With current and probable future healthcare reforms, what do you see as the benefits, repercussions, and changes on the PA job outlook? I ask this questions from a professional point of view and am not looking for arguments on political stands. Thanks for your input and I am curious to see your take on things.

I will start with my own understanding. President Trump has been making changes to slowly weaken Obamacare as his health reform has not been approved. President trump would like to create a healthcare plan for the young and healthy that would be more affordable and less coverage. While this makes sense and many healthy individuals would save money, I see this reshaping healthcare. With more young and healthy having less coverage, I see ER visits and urgent care clinics drastically increasing as many will not have scheduled appointments for their various medical issues. This would cause an increase in demand for PAs in these settings. From what I have been reading, the premiums for those that stay on Obamacare would quickly increase, possibly making their healthcare un-affordable. President Trump has some "pre-existing conditions" that would keep individuals from the young and healthy plan such as pregnancy, abortion, and having had mental health counseling or treatment to name a few. I have also been reading that President Trump would like to extend the short term health plans from 90 days to up to a year. These plans would originally created to fill gaps in coverage, but allowing the increase to a year would have an even more immediate jump in premiums for those who remain on ACA as discussed before. 

These are all changes that have been occurring or are predicted to occur. Thank you for your input and please discuss any other changes that I did not mention.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

If you're going to advocate responses to a post be non-political, using the term "President Trump" and "Obamacare" 4 and 2 times, respectively, in the next paragraph is not a great way to stimulate nonpolitical dialogue.  Just speculating why in ~10 days no one has responded to you...

Archived