Re-Applicant Personal Statement - need feedback pls!

I was twenty years old when I experienced my first traumatic loss, my grandmother. The weeks prior to the event, I remember her physician would come speak to my parents only, which left me feeling useless and confused about the circumstances. I went about thinking we still had time, so when I heard she passed, I rushed from work, and the doctors had already left. I was sitting in the corner trying to process things to myself when a lady softly approached me, and was able to answer questions I had. For the first time, I felt involved in the matter. Not only did I learn that she was a PA, but a PA who truly helped my family and I find peace. Her image as a PA stuck with me as someone who made me feel connected; and those moments inspired me to dedicate my life to helping others the way she helped me.

During my time at Santa Monica College, my academic performance started to plunge, however I was still figuring out a career path to begin. As soon as I knew I wanted to pursue a career as a PA upon admission into CSU Dominguez Hills,, there was an upward trend in my undergraduate GPA, as well as my science GPA.  Being a Psychology major has given me a unique perspective about human health and illness. It doesn’t seem difficult to understand that mental health and physical health are one in the same. I believe that my interest in psychology and love for healthcare has allowed me to understand health promotion, emphasizing preventative care, and analyze factors that influence choices we make about our health. Taking into consideration the mind and body as a whole is vital in patient service excellence. Meanwhile, caregiving part-time at an assisted living community has allowed me to be proficient in establishing personal connections with each patient which is important also for PAs. I have built skills necessary for working in a team. Thus, being a PA will also fit my personality because I love working under another leader. Although PAs often function independently, I have noticed my best work is done while performing, and analyzing the needs of others. These skills have also allowed my experience volunteering at the Veteran Affairs Hospital in Long Beach to be eye-opening. I have been able to interact with patients with PTSD, and have been able to calm patients down during an episode by helping them identify triggering events.

With a family full of nurses, I knew I wanted to pursue a career involving medicine. The more I networked with other healthcare professionals and PAs, I soon realized some key roles PAs play in healthcare. Going to the doctor as a teenager was a lot like going to the DMV. We experienced long wait times, and the hassles of countless reschedules due to limited physician availability. Not only did this affect my health, but my academic performance as well. However, my primary physician was changed to a poorer location as a result of a change in insurance plans. Surprisingly, the first time I visited my new primary provider, my experience was completely opposite from what it used to be. My primary provider was easily accessible by phone and in person. I realized I was seeing a PA. PAs are so important in giving better access to care especially in medically underserved areas, which is an area I plan to work in. They are vital to reducing wait times, while still giving quality care to patients.

Since my last application, I have gained clinical experience. By involving myself in the COPE Health Scholars Program at the St. Mary Medical Center location as a health scholar, it  allows me to experience different areas of medicine per rotation in a clinical setting. I have learned proper hospital communication, gained knowledge in hospital policies and procedures such as HIPAA, acted as a critical role in patient satisfaction by comforting patients, and witnessed other skilled procedures such as inserting IVs. This program is a great start to determine which field I am interested in, and provides plenty of resources to build the clinical skills necessary for becoming a PA. However, I believe this program is more than just gaining experience, but making lasting impacts. My first day as a health scholar at St. Mary Medical Center I got to know a patient who had a chronic condition, which left her feeling like she lost control of her life. I talked with her and assisted her ambulate each week. About a week after she was discharged, she came back to St. Mary during my shift, thanked me, and said, “you are going to be a great PA.” In that moment, I knew that my time in the COPE Health Scholars program wouldn’t end after I receive my certificate of completion, but instead a life-long commitment to serving patients like her who are impacted significantly by the true connections you establish with them. Moments like these have fueled my drive to become a PA. I believe the work that PAs do are vital to quality patient service.

It is in moments of illness, and disease that could leave us feeling incapable, where we often rely on others for comfort. As a future PA, I believe we play a key role in not just treating the disease, but the person, and their family. It has been a blessing for me to have all these opportunities to continue my education and pursue the path of becoming a PA. It has made me realize my love for the health care culture and it’s environment. I am ecstatic to create lasting impacts as a PA, to give back, and to reflect on the moments as a PA that I get to finally say, “I made her feel connected.”

Archived