Hello, I am a future PA student and am curious about other opinions on this very important topic. With current and probable future healthcare reforms, what do you see as the benefits, repercussions, and changes on the PA job outlook? I ask this questions from a professional point of view and am not looking for arguments on political stands. Thanks for your input and I am curious to see your take on things.

I will start with my own understanding. President Trump has been making changes to slowly weaken Obamacare as his health reform has not been approved. President trump would like to create a healthcare plan for the young and healthy that would be more affordable and less coverage. While this makes sense and many healthy individuals would save money, I see this reshaping healthcare. With more young and healthy having less coverage, I see ER visits and urgent care clinics drastically increasing as many will not have scheduled appointments for their various medical issues. This would cause an increase in demand for PAs in these settings. From what I have been reading, the premiums for those that stay on Obamacare would quickly increase, possibly making their healthcare un-affordable. President Trump has some "pre-existing conditions" that would keep individuals from the young and healthy plan such as pregnancy, abortion, and having had mental health counseling or treatment to name a few. I have also been reading that President Trump would like to extend the short term health plans from 90 days to up to a year. These plans would originally created to fill gaps in coverage, but allowing the increase to a year would have an even more immediate jump in premiums for those who remain on ACA as discussed before. 

These are all changes that have been occurring or are predicted to occur. Thank you for your input and please discuss any other changes that I did not mention.  

10 minutes ago, paigeymay said:

Hello, I am a future PA student and am curious about other opinions on this very important topic. With current and probable future healthcare reforms, what do you see as the benefits, repercussions, and changes on the PA job outlook? I ask this questions from a professional point of view and am not looking for arguments on political stands. Thanks for your input and I am curious to see your take on things.

I will start with my own understanding. President Trump has been making changes to slowly weaken Obamacare as his health reform has not been approved. President trump would like to create a healthcare plan for the young and healthy that would be more affordable and less coverage. While this makes sense and many healthy individuals would save money, I see this reshaping healthcare. With more young and healthy having less coverage, I see ER visits and urgent care clinics drastically increasing as many will not have scheduled appointments for their various medical issues. This would cause an increase in demand for PAs in these settings. From what I have been reading, the premiums for those that stay on Obamacare would quickly increase, possibly making their healthcare un-affordable. President Trump has some "pre-existing conditions" that would keep individuals from the young and healthy plan such as pregnancy, abortion, and having had mental health counseling or treatment to name a few. I have also been reading that President Trump would like to extend the short term health plans from 90 days to up to a year. These plans would originally created to fill gaps in coverage, but allowing the increase to a year would have an even more immediate jump in premiums for those who remain on ACA as discussed before. 

These are all changes that have been occurring or are predicted to occur. Thank you for your input and please discuss any other changes that I did not mention.  

Young and healthy means less visits as they are healthy and this should translate into their older years...the pre-existing conditions I do agree with that should have a higher premium as those patients on average cost more money. I agree with Trumps views on this and think it is better than obamacare and I have seen obamacare hurt a lot of people in my little town of 600. I have stated this on previous post about how peoples premiums tripled over night including one of my MAs making $9.50 and her rate was $51 per month and went to > $150 per month...I mean how is that suppose to help her and the coverage was NO better. This also happen to multiple in my town. I do not think the young and healthy will have troubles getting into a PCP or UC for certain matters, but the goal is to get people on health plans and ESTABLISH care with a PCP at least once per year so you can get in quicker! That is the education part I tell my patients all the time.  

23 minutes ago, paigeymay said:

The reality is that as long as we don't flood the workforce (which seems to be happening a bit unfortunately) any PA without massive black marks on his/her license can get a job in this country.  It may not be in the absolute, most desirable city/specialty - but a job is a job and many don't have that luxury.  As one gets experience and works to improve oneself that more desirable job becomes more attainable.

Whether Obamacare succeeds or President Trump is successful in breaking it apart our country will always require healthcare and the goal will always be healthcare at a reduced cost - we are the answer to this problem.

20 hours ago, camoman1234 said:

Young and healthy means less visits as they are healthy and this should translate into their older years...the pre-existing conditions I do agree with that should have a higher premium as those patients on average cost more money. I agree with Trumps views on this 

No offense, but that is complete crap.  "Young and healthy means less visits as they are healthy and this should translate into their older years..."  EVERYONE gets sick, will get sick and will need healthcare at some point.  Genetics plays a large roll in who needs care and who ends up with a pre-existing condition.  The people you believe should pay more money.  You know, when they are sick and might not be able to work?  Those people.  Or the people that do everything right and get rear-ended in a car accident and have their back and neck messed up.  Guess what?  Pre-existing condition.  They should "Pay More" as well?  By going after pre-existing conditions Tump is going to be responsible for countless suffering and the financial ruin of millions of Americans whose great crime was to get sick or injured.  Go us.

12 minutes ago, Cideous said:

No offense, but that is complete crap.  "Young and healthy means less visits as they are healthy and this should translate into their older years..."  EVERYONE gets sick, will get sick and will need healthcare at some point.  Genetics plays a large roll in who needs care and who ends up with a pre-existing condition.  The people you believe should pay more money.  You know, when they are sick and might not be able to work?  Those people.  Or the people that do everything right and get rear-ended in a car accident and have their back and neck messed up.  Guess what?  Pre-existing condition.  They should "Pay More" as well?  By going after pre-existing conditions Tump is going to be responsible for countless suffering and the financial ruin of millions of Americans whose great crime was to get sick or injured.  Go us.

Healthy should me less visits, its true in my family and extended family. I do personally have some genetic mutations found on a DNA test recently that gives me about a 90% chance of getting dementia due to my E4/E4 mutation in the APOE c.388 T>C (Cys130Arg) which most likely will cause me to cost the insurance company more money in the long run. I am cutting my risk as I do eat healthy/organic/non-gmo, etc., but these are the pre-existing conditions I am speaking of. The car accident is a great example and you bring up a good point, who is going to pay for that? Well someone does and it could end up on the patients wallet, but don't car insurance premiums go up when you get a speeding ticket or in a wreck that is your fault? That is NO difference in what you are saying, you are higher risk now and will cost more money (most likely) even if you did get in a care wreck and are hurt (and it was not your fault). No president will be able to fix that problem. We have to look at the larger picture. There is no way to make this perfect, but having a short list of pre-existing conditions could help cost. People like you are one sided and if you are a liberal automatically assume Trump has not done anything, but Obama did...Your words come off as a Trump hater, but I might be wrong, this is just text to you can correct me. If people would make smarter choices, eat better, exercises, not smoke/drink, if America got better foods not GMO, sprayed with pesticides, etc, WE might as a country be healthier. I have no problem with people paying more money when all they eat is processed foods, drink soda, smoke, overweight, etc...they are doing it to themselves and I do not want to pay for their AAA or MI... 

http://asirt.org/Initiatives/Informing-Road-Users/Road-Safety-Facts/Road-Crash-Statistics

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/14/opinions/trump-administrations-threat-to-coverage-for-preexisting-conditions-jost/index.html

Your guy Trump.  

If Texas wins this, say goodbye to healthcare for millions of Americans.  Anyone with a preexisting condition will once again be uninsurable.  I lived this in the 90's and 2000's and it was a nightmare.  Lose a job?  Unable to maintain "continuous coverage" while you look for another job?  BAM!  Uninsurable if you have any preexisting conditions.  Is that why you went into medicine?  To care for only those that can afford the astronomical prices of healthcare?  It's not why I did, but to each their own.  I don't subscribe to the "I got mine, screw everyone else" mentality and never will.  /shrug.

I agree that people with pre-existing conditions should be able to get the same, affordable insurance as others.  The people I have a problem with are the smokers, diabetics who refuse to modify behavior, obese who refuse diet, etc.  If you are unhealthy by your own fault, why should taxpayers pick up your tab?

1 hour ago, Cideous said:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/14/opinions/trump-administrations-threat-to-coverage-for-preexisting-conditions-jost/index.html

Your guy Trump.  

If Texas wins this, say goodbye to healthcare for millions of Americans.  Anyone with a preexisting condition will once again be uninsurable.  I lived this in the 90's and 2000's and it was a nightmare.  Lose a job?  Unable to maintain "continuous coverage" while you look for another job?  BAM!  Uninsurable if you have any preexisting conditions.  Is that why you went into medicine?  To care for only those that can afford the astronomical prices of healthcare?  It's not why I did, but to each their own.  I don't subscribe to the "I got mine, screw everyone else" mentality and never will.  /shrug.

I don't want to screw everyone else cause I have mine, I work in a RHC in a town of 600 people, solo practice with a HSPA of 18, 3rd poorest county in the state. I know what poor is and I understand that cause I came from that also, 1st generation college student here. It is a hard nut to crack, but obamacare did not work for my patients, that is all I can say. I just want change and positive change for ALL. I am a political atheist, I do not vote, so he is not my guy or any other president. I keep out of these arguments/discussions cause most people believe if you don't vote you have not say, and I am fine with that. 

Archived