Sign in to follow this  
hlb99

New Grad PA Job

Hello All!

I am new to the forum, but decided to join because I had a few questions that my fellow PA's would be best at answering.

I am a new graduate and recently passed my PANCE (yay!).

I am from Pennsylvania, but am relocating to Brighton, Michigan for personal reasons. I have been applying for jobs since before my graduation, and I have not heard back much for interviews. I have used sites such as Indeed, Glassdoor, Monster, AAPA, MAPA, panpworld, hospital specific career pages, etc.

I have applied for my Michigan State Licensure, although I know it takes weeks to get back.

For those of you who relocated to a specific area where you had few connections and did not have a job before graduation, how long did it take to find the right job?

I have taken my Pennsylvania address off of my resume/CV. Any other suggestions for how to get noticed?

I have cold called offices, urgent cares, etc. to ask if they are hiring. Do any of you know of any positions within 30 miles of Brighton, MI where they would be willing to take a new graduate?

If you have any other suggestions for relocation and jobs for new graduates, it would be greatly appreciated!

How long has it been since you moved? Might take awhile (like 6-12 months) to actually start working once you land a job, get credentials, etc. 

Is there are reason you aren't looking in Detroit? It's not too much further outside of your search zone. Brighton isn't exactly a booming metropolis with lots of jobs. 

Sounds like you are doing some of the right things. Try getting in contact with a recruiter or getting in contact with HR from a local hospital to let them know you are around. Does your program have an alumni group you can contact to see if other health professionals are in the area that you could network with?

17 minutes ago, HanSolo said:

How long has it been since you moved? Might take awhile (like 6-12 months) to actually start working once you land a job, get credentials, etc. 

Is there are reason you aren't looking in Detroit? It's not too much further outside of your search zone. Brighton isn't exactly a booming metropolis with lots of jobs. 

Sounds like you are doing some of the right things. Try getting in contact with a recruiter or getting in contact with HR from a local hospital to let them know you are around. Does your program have an alumni group you can contact to see if other health professionals are in the area that you could network with?

I have not officially moved yet, but I am in the area for weeks at a time with a significant other. I plan on moving to the area in July.

I have looked in many areas surrounding Brighton, including Ann Arbor, Novi, Livonia, etc. The reason I do not want to be in downtown Detroit is because my significant other and his family live in Howell, Brighton, and Milford. I have looked into the commute to Detroit in the morning, and it would take 2 hours with the traffic.

Do you suggest calling HR at one of the local hospitals and speaking with them directly? My program does have an alumni group. That is a great suggestion, thank you.

I was hoping to get a job and starting working by September at the latest. Do you happen to know any local PA's or physicians I could network with?

I know some people on the other side of the state, so I'm not much help there. I don't see why it would hurt to call HR directly. Worst outcome is they don't want to chat.

Don't forget about Lansing. 

I'm sure you'll land a job eventually, but it's kind of a double edged sword. Move to big city and face more competition...move to a rural area (without a job) and there are fewer jobs available. 

Definitely try your alumni network (both PA school and undergrad). Both universities may also have career centers to help you out. Look for local healthcare career fairs at the hospitals. Post your resume on indeed. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, HanSolo said:

I know some people on the other side of the state, so I'm not much help there. I don't see why it would hurt to call HR directly. Worst outcome is they don't want to chat.

Don't forget about Lansing. 

I'm sure you'll land a job eventually, but it's kind of a double edged sword. Move to big city and face more competition...move to a rural area (without a job) and there are fewer jobs available. 

Definitely try your alumni network (both PA school and undergrad). Both universities may also have career centers to help you out. Look for local healthcare career fairs at the hospitals. Post your resume on indeed. 

Thank you so much for all of your help!

I will definitely keep applying. Calling HR is a great idea as well as contacting alumni at the universities. Resume is already posted on Indeed as well!

I agree, it's a double edged sword, but I am sure the right opportunity will come along.