2018-2019- Yale Online PA Application

Guest thatgirlonabike

I just have a hard time believing that this program will fail. Yale is too big of a name. And it is more of a hybrid than an online program. Here is a small excerpt from the program director's bio. 

REQUEST INFO

J-Van-Rhee1.jpg

James Van Rhee, M.S., PA-C

Program Director/Associate Prof.

In July 2016, Mr. Van Rhee became the new program director of the Physician Assistant Program Online at Yale University. Mr. Van Rhee began his career as a full-time physician assistant (PA) with Henry Ford Hospital Department of Internal Medicine in September 1989. In August 1990 he moved to Grand Rapids, Michigan and became a hospitalist PA at Butterworth Hospital. His interest in PA education began at that time. He served as a clinical preceptor in internal medicine for a number of PA students from a variety of PA programs. He also lectured to local PA programs on a number of internal medicine topics. In 1996, Mr. Van Rhee joined the new PA program at Grand Valley State University as their first academic coordinator. One year later he was hired as department chair and program director for the PA program at Western Michigan University (WMU) in Kalamazoo, Michigan. In 2004 he was promoted to associate professor and granted tenure at WMU. In 2006, he moved to Winston-Salem, North Carolina and became the program director and first department chair of the Department of Physician Assistant Studies at Wake Forest University. In June 2009, he became the founding program director for the new Physician Assistant Program at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine. In August 2013, he joined the Yale School of Medicine Physician Associate Program as program director. During his entire academic career Mr. Van Rhee has maintained a clinical presence by working for a number of hospitals in in-patient internal medicine and oncology.

Mr. Van Rhee is professionally active locally and nationally. He has served as project director for the PAEA PACKRAT (Physician Assistant Clinical Knowledge and Rating Assessment Tool) exam for 10 years. Has been an ARC-PA (Accreditation Review Commission on Physician Assistant Education) site visitor for over ten years, served as chair of the commission for two, and currently serves as a commission. For 16 years Mr, Van Rhee has been the course director for a national PA board review course and now delivers the course on-line through Kaplan Medical. He is author of the Physician Assistant Board Review Certification and Recertification book published by Elsevier. He is also the consulting editor for Physician Assistant Clinics published quarterly by Elsevier. He has authored numerous articles on PA education and problem-based learning and has presented at both the national and local level on a variety of clinical and educational topics. In 1999, Mr. Van Rhee was awarded a six year, approximately $900,000 HRSA training grant to evaluate the use of problem-based learning in PA education. In 2007, he served as co-principal investigator on a 3-year $700,000 HRSA training grant to develop a health literacy curriculum for physician assistant students.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 8/31/2018 at 2:05 PM, PlumPain said:

Hey all, I have an interview coming up. Don't want to get ahead of myself, but I know I will only have a week to decide if I get in, and I wanted your opinions: 

If I get in, I will have to choose between a solid program (Rosalind Franklin)  about an hour away from my home (so 2-3 hours of driving per day depending on Chicago traffic) or the online program. 

I was so excited about my interview at Yale until I told some older colleagues who advised me against it. They said online grads won't be able to get hired. This was something I hadn't considered - I come from the technology world where everything can be done online and innovation is key. Yale is obviously the more impressive school, but will the brick and mortar option be better, even if I feel like the online program itself will give me a better education? 

My husband says that those against online programs are "just old dudes scared of computers" and that the younger generation of PAs will accept online programs just like we accept Snapchat and online grocery delivery. Thoughts? 

Edit: Anyone in or near Chicago going to Yale? If I do end up going, it would be awesome to have some classmates to meet up with to study and practice with on a regular basis. 

Hey hey! I'm from the Chicago suburbs. I would love to meet up! I had to decide between Northwestern and Yale. I chose Yale. Through the application process I kept asking questions and honestly they've thought of everything! I've reached out to current students and they all seem happy and seem to have a great school/life balance which is very important to me. If you have any questions you can send me a private message so we can meet up. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Longhorn0914 said:

Has anyone received an interview invitation yet? For those like me that applied during the final deadline. 

Every time I receive a new email notification, my heart skips a beat. The wait is the worst. 

Omigosh yes the wait sucks!!! I applied during final deadline as well but I’m waiting on my GRE scores to get delivered to them still so I have until October until I’ll hear anything ? good luck!!! I hope you hear from them soon!!!! 

I missed a call from Sanjay this afternoon. At least I think it was him, it's the same office number I get when he calls. I submitted on the final deadline, but I am finishing both Microbio and A/P II online right now. Microbio finishes this week giving me my 5/6 required for review. Sanjay calls every two or so weeks to make sure I am still on track. Waiting until the very end stinks.

I applied about 5 weeks ago. I emailed Kevin and he said.

"Though the application is submitted, it is not sent to the Admissions Committee. The Admissions Committee will only review completed applications. As such, your application will be forwarded to the Admissions Committee once is completed by our Application Team."

Does anyone know what this exactly this means? I was told that I had everything submitted and was good to go but then he sent me this. I thought we were supposed to find out in 3-4 weeks! ugh. 

@CH0818 From what I understand about the process (I applied last year as well), because they don't use CASPA, the admissions team must do all the verification work themselves and calculate the undergraduate GPA and check all the documents and pre-reqs etcetera. This happens after you submit your application. Once the application team confirms you have all the documents and meet the minimum requirements then they have to create a nice, neat packet for the admission committee to review. It is at that time the application is "complete". This is was I believe Kevin's email was trying to articulate. They forget that we are not part of their process and have no idea what the difference is between submitted and complete. 

Last year, was the inaugural year and the program was only licensed to operate in something like 15 states. And as it was the first year not as many people knew about the program. Therefore, the application processing times were much faster because the applicant pool was much smaller. This year I believe they are licensed to operate in all 50 states plus D.C. So the processing time has skyrocketed. I too applied about 5 weeks ago and I am waiting to hear something back. 

I can tell you that I received a rejection letter about two weeks after submitting last year. So that fact that we have not received a rejection letter is a good sign. 

Hang in there homie and remember you are in good company as you wait. ?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, CH0818 said:

@1dahardway Thanks for your comment! That makes me feel a lot better. Hopefully we find out soon. Do you know how many people are being accepted for this cohort this year? It seems like they have already accepted over 40 people!! 

Hey! I was accepted about a month ago and during my interview I was told that the admissions comittee was still holding out on some acceptances to see who submits applications on the deadline. With that being said, I would assume that there are a few spots left :)

1 hour ago, Longhorn0914 said:

No kidding, I've gone through this thread and have seen all the people that have been accepted and tried to do the math on how many seats might still be available. If I don't get in this go around I'm absolutely applying by early decision next year now that my pre-reqs will all be complete. 

The class is 60, not 40. There are 45 people that are on the accepted group on our Facebook. Hope this helps!

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, CH0818 said:

If anyone could post their accepted stats that would be wonderful ?

I have a 3.83 overall GPA, ~3.6 sGPA, 151 Math GRE, 150 English GRE, 4.0 Writting GRE, ~1,000 patient contact hours as a CNA, 250 hours of shadowing various health care professionals (150 hrs of PA), and I did a little community service. Overall, I feel my recommendations were what got me in and my essays as they referenced multiple times throught my interview. 

• Upvote 2

Hi Everyone,

Hope you are well. I received an interview invite on 9/11. I submitted my application the 23rd of August.  

I’m very excited, but I’ve never used Adobe Connect before. I signed up for a trial to test it out, but it doesn’t look like I can enter a room without a meeting link. For those of you who have already interviewed, is there any harm in putting the interview links in days early to test Adobe Connect on my computer or is there a better way to test it? 

Edited by AnneDPAApplicant

10 hours ago, AnneDPAApplicant said:

Hi Everyone,

Hope you are well. I received an interview invite on 9/11. I submitted my application the 23rd of August.  

I’m very excited, but I’ve never used Adobe Connect before. I signed up for a trial to test it out, but it doesn’t look like I can enter a room without a meeting link. For those of you who have already interviewed, is there any harm in putting the interview links in days early to test Adobe Connect on my computer or is there a better way to test it? 

Hi,

if you click the link, the person interviewing you will get a notification that you want to join a room with them. I would not worry about it. Simply, click the link at your scheduled time, enter your name, and request to enter the room. Sometimes you have to wait a while. I did, at least. But don’t worry! Just stay relaxed and if there is any technical errors, just call. They are very understanding. I had a technical error and had to even reschedule my interview and I still got in. You got this! 

1 hour ago, ERPA19 said:

Hi,

if you click the link, the person interviewing you will get a notification that you want to join a room with them. I would not worry about it. Simply, click the link at your scheduled time, enter your name, and request to enter the room. Sometimes you have to wait a while. I did, at least. But don’t worry! Just stay relaxed and if there is any technical errors, just call. They are very understanding. I had a technical error and had to even reschedule my interview and I still got in. You got this! 

Thank you and congratulations on your acceptance! 

5 hours ago, Longhorn0914 said:

Congratulations and good luck! Ah, I submitted my application a few days later, on the 26th, but my application wasn't complete until after that thanks to a straggling recommendation letter.  So I hope I hear back soon with either a rejection or interview request, I just can't stand the waiting. LOL. When do you have your interview? 

Thank you. My interview is this Thursday. I know, waiting is the hardest part. Good luck!  I’m sure you’ll hear soon. 

Hi Everyone,

Thank you all for your candid feelings, experiences and acceptances and rejections. I submitted my application on March 18 of this year and then found out I need 3 prerequisites! I have just finished the last one with the transcript enroute as we speak. This is such a stressful process, probably because we all want it so very badly. 

I am praying that the transcript gets to them by October 1, which it should since it was mailed on September 19th. I will keep you posted on my status as I find out and hope it helps someone, like you all's helped me.

thanks and good luck!

45 minutes ago, kpier84 said:

I interviewed last Wednesday.  The academic was first and felt like I could have done better (nerves) but the personal was enjoyable and seemed like it went well.  They told me maybe two weeks before I would hear back.  Did anyone else on here interview last week?

I interviewed on Thursday and I felt the same way. Good luck! I hope we both receive good news!