2018-2019 Application cycle

On 9/12/2018 at 1:49 PM, bsbtvb said:

I don't think that the GRE will totally hold you back though. I scored below the 50th percentile in math and I have an interview there Friday. As long as everything else is good, I think they'll overlook one low GRE score.

@bsbtvb I agree with you about GRE scores. Not just limited to MWU, but PA schools want to know you can take difficult exams in a stressful timed situation, because that happens literally 3 times a week. They want you to pass the PANCE, not take it multiple times, they want to know you can score well on an standardized exam, because it looks better for their "first time PANCE pass rates"

For everyone who is waitlisted, adding 1000 healthcare hours is great, but really the biggest difference you can make in your application in a year is science GPA, taking the "recommended" classes versus just the required, and most importantly GRE.

This advice brought to you by a current PA student. I saw you guys on campus today and wanted to snoop in on what everyone was saying hahaha I felt bad you guys were in full suits in the heat. I got the worst blisters of my life on interview day thank god for flats now. Good luck to everyone! But since our class stats haven't really been posted, I will tell you that I had a lower GPA (and by that I mean many students in our class had 4.0 in undergrad) I am one of the very few people that is over 26 years old, but my GRE scores were very high. I took it twice, I am very good at math, but I had a math tutor teach me a lot of "quick math" tricks that raised my score over 20 percentiles in 3 weeks. 

It's also the fastest way to boost your application, so if you are waitlisted, which many people in my class were waitlisted the year before and offered interviews and got in the year after, so it's pretty common to go that route, don't be defeated. and definitely consider the GRE.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, lowexpectations said:

Would anyone interviewing Monday 9/17 like to meet beforehand at Small Town Coffeehouse? It's just across the street and it opens at 6am. I'll probably get there by 6:45 or 7 latest and then walk over around 7:10 or 7:15. I think they have some food for breakfast as well.

I would be interested in meeting up before. Is the exact location (Barrel 1 building) within walking distance? I just don't want to be late!

So I just went to campus and there is a good amount of parking right next to the barrel 1 building. I talked to the security guard and he said we should be able to find a spot inside as long as we get there before 8! If anyone needs a ride from the coffee place I can give you one cause I definitely don’t want to do the walk in heels ? see you guys tomorrow! 

30 minutes ago, RadTek2PA said:

Good luck everyone that has interviewed this past week.

My "pre-accepted" Applicant Checklist has changed, showing my Required Prerequisites below.  By looking back at last year's thread, it looks as though that means I have been waitlisted ? . 

Has anyone else noticed a change in their portal yet?

Not sure, but it now shows that I need a bachelors degree. But I already have a bachelors. Still hoping to get accepted. 

Edited by metroT

On 9/14/2018 at 9:52 PM, Shelby89 said:

@bsbtvb I agree with you about GRE scores. Not just limited to MWU, but PA schools want to know you can take difficult exams in a stressful timed situation, because that happens literally 3 times a week. They want you to pass the PANCE, not take it multiple times, they want to know you can score well on an standardized exam, because it looks better for their "first time PANCE pass rates"

For everyone who is waitlisted, adding 1000 healthcare hours is great, but really the biggest difference you can make in your application in a year is science GPA, taking the "recommended" classes versus just the required, and most importantly GRE.

This advice brought to you by a current PA student. I saw you guys on campus today and wanted to snoop in on what everyone was saying hahaha I felt bad you guys were in full suits in the heat. I got the worst blisters of my life on interview day thank god for flats now. Good luck to everyone! But since our class stats haven't really been posted, I will tell you that I had a lower GPA (and by that I mean many students in our class had 4.0 in undergrad) I am one of the very few people that is over 26 years old, but my GRE scores were very high. I took it twice, I am very good at math, but I had a math tutor teach me a lot of "quick math" tricks that raised my score over 20 percentiles in 3 weeks. 

It's also the fastest way to boost your application, so if you are waitlisted, which many people in my class were waitlisted the year before and offered interviews and got in the year after, so it's pretty common to go that route, don't be defeated. and definitely consider the GRE.

I was waitlisted last year. I chose to take a medical terminology class which raised my overall GPA, gained a ton more shadowing hours, and took a new position at my current job as a tele monitor tech. I was so sad that I didn't get in last year but I would give anything to attend Midwestern. When I was offered an interview this time around I was so grateful to be given another chance to get in! My interview is October 11 and it is so good to hear that a lot of the students in your class were prior waitlisters like myself. Best of luck with your studies!

1 minute ago, metroT said:

After some research, I think I am definitely on the waitlist. I interviewed on 9/14 and today; the portal changed to show be a tab of required prerequisites. Also, the accepted checklist did not change whatsoever. I guess I could have done better on the interview ?

Same situation ?

I have been thinking about that interview for years now, and when it came, I got so nervous and showed ZERO personality.  I am kicking myself so hard for getting freaked out right now.  

Absolute heartbreak for me here ?

Congrats to everyone that DID get in though!

3 minutes ago, RadTek2PA said:

Same situation ?

I have been thinking about that interview for years now, and when it came, I got so nervous and showed ZERO personality.  I am kicking myself so hard for getting freaked out right now.  

Absolute heartbreak for me here ?

Congrats to everyone that DID get in though!

Are you applying to NAU too? If you live in the valley, we should get together to practice for that school. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RadTek2PA said:

Good luck everyone that has interviewed this past week.

My "pre-accepted" Applicant Checklist has changed, showing my Required Prerequisites below.  By looking back at last year's thread, it looks as though that means I have been waitlisted ? . 

Has anyone else noticed a change in their portal yet?

I am so sorry to hear you are afraid you might not be accepted and that you don't feel you did well in the interview.

From meeting you in person, I think you come across as a very competent individual who would do well in PA school.

Try not to rush to conclusions.  Some have said MW doesn't really deny people, but instead places them on the waitlist.  Don't lose hope. 

Best of luck!

Edited by lowexpectations

On 9/12/2018 at 8:44 PM, AngelGabrielVilla said:

I never received an email, but yesterday I checked the "Interview Scheduling" under the "Admission > Pre-Accepted" tab and found that I had an interview. I scheduled an interview for the 5th of October! Could anyone that has been through the interview process  provide any insight on how to best prepare? 

I just interviewed and I will say that the most important advice I can give you is to relax.  I was VERY nervous during my interview and it did not do me any favors!  Realize that you have time to think about and give your answers, don't feel rushed.  Just be yourself and be honest.  There are three different interviewer groups, so even if I wanted to I couldn't tell you what questions you'll get.  Just have some ways in which you could improve as well as some personal strengths in your back pocket.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, lowexpectations said:

I just interviewed and I will say that the most important advice I can give you is to relax.  I was VERY nervous during my interview and it did not do me any favors!  Realize that you have time to think about and give your answers, don't feel rushed.  Just be yourself and be honest.  There are three different interviewer groups, so even if I wanted to I couldn't tell you what questions you'll get.  Just have some ways in which you could improve as well as some personal strengths in your back pocket.

I second this advice.  I was totally comfortable hanging out with all of the interviewees while we waited and even made some friends, but when it came to the interview, I completely psyched myself out and showed Zero personality :(.... Relax and good luck to those interviewing in October!