What are my chances?

Was just wondering if anyone could comment on my chances for PA school as I am applying this cycle with one more year to go on my bachelors.

cGPA: 3.41

sGPA: 3.35

( I got C+'s in biochem, gen chem 1, and gen bio 1 :/)

I play a collegiate sport, TA a physio class, and work as a certified crisis counselor (volunteer).

I have about 750 PCE hours as a CNA.

Shadowing: 20 hours with internal med PA

GRE: Q 153 V 150.

I am really not sure where I fall. At times I think applying enough places will give me a good chance. Other times I feel really down about my few C grades. ?

In looking at yours stats your application is fairly in line with the average applicant. Your GPA is fine, your GRE is fine and your HCE is on the lower end for sure. My advice would be to continue to get A's in the remaining classes you have to raise your GPA, continue working as a CNA and volunteering. Apply broadly and you may get a couple of interviews, keep in mind that many people have to apply several times in order to get in. Best thing you can do in the interim is to have a solid plan in place to improve as many aspects of your application as possible.

Other resources that might be a bit more specific to the schools your looking at is to look at the school matriculating student stats or even the accepted student stats page on the forum.

Just like pacrankset mentioned get A's. Anything less will lower your GPA. B's will bring your GPA down (keep this in mind). 

One thing to know is if you have other extracurricular activities like volunteering or community service which do or do not involve medicine or have had hardships/difficulties that may affect your GPA you can look for schools that emphasize more well-rounded students. 

For example, I had about 15,000 volunteering hours that were not medically related (I just like to volunteer), and I had to work full time while I went to school full time (it is possible) because I had no financial support from anyone else. These are a few things that made me stand out on my application. My GPA was lower than yours in both categories you shared. I am now doing very well in PA school and even made it on the dean's list for my grades. Turns out if I don't have a full-time job, I can do pretty well academically. This made me stand out from the thousand other students that just checked the boxes to fill requirements.

This is kinda the way I did it. Find your way of standing out. Good luck.

Archived