Hi guys!
I graduated in 2017 and on my track to dental school. I actually applied to dental school that year but got rejected to all because I took my DAT too late. However, later tht year I decided that dentistry isn't for me, plus I'm not ready to take on a huge debt afterwards (300-500k sounds scary too me). So i'm changing my goal towards PA. 

I started researching PA programs and most of them accept my dental assistant hours as PCE. I have around 400-500 hours so i'm planning to finish my prereq (anat, physio, micro) by the end of this fall. Then do either CNA or phlembotomist programs and work for 1 year and a half to collect hours. I'm aiming at 2000-3000 hours. Do you guys think this is a good plan? Or do people generally have way more hours than this?

I'm also concerned about why PA schools actually accept dental assistant hours? I know DA have patient interactions but aren't those more towards dental school? Won't they question why am I even applying to PA schoool? If i use those hours, will they ask why not dentistry? I mean i think it's probably gonna come up during the interview anyways. But will it look bad to have DA hours?

Also, most programs require one letter from a clinician. I 'm still looking for a doctor, PA, or NP to shadow. I'm puttin NP on my list since PA and NP are so similar. I'm wondering if it's necessary to shadow a PA? I know some programs said it's 'recommended' but would it be ok if i shadow NP (i'm planning to ask my NP if I could shadow her). 

I'm also wondering about LOR. Since most schools want LOR from any clinician, would it be okay if I actually use my dentist's LOR tht I used to apply to dental school?? I'm not sure if it will look bad for PA schools but im actually really close to my dentist since I worked and shadowed him for almost 2 years. and I outlined my own LOR for him to edit so i know it's a strong LOR too lol

Also, how wuld the schools confirmed that our hour are accurate? Will the schools need our clinicians to sign somethng? I don't have such form from my dentist or the physicians I shadowed back 4 years ago :( 

Sorry, I'm still new to PA field and still doing research about it. So if some of my questions are too easy to answer, I apologize in advance!! 

Thank you again for helping me out!

Guest blee100

i think 2,000-3,000 hours is a good aim. It a good idea to probably become a CNA or a MA. Dental assistant isn't accepted at alot of schools so I'm not sure which schools said they were accepted. I  strongly suggest you getting hours doing something else so you widen your school options.  When i first knew I wanted to be a PA. i thought it was important to shadow a PA. You saying NP and PA are similar is something that an admission board is not going want to hear when they ask you this question. I suggest you study the difference especially when interviews start rolling in. A lot of programs want you to shadowing a PA because they want to make sure their bringing in a student that knows what their signing up for. (Side note: every PA I've shadowed is extremely friendly and  gave me amazing advice. They make you realize why becoming a PA would be an awesome career path) Most schools don't confirm your hours. I only know one school that required my boss to sign a paper verifying the amount of hours I did.CASPA work off the applicant honesty. Now, this doesn't mean you can just add some hours to make it seem like it a lot more than it is. Cause if the admission board does decide to accept you and see that you don't know as much as you said you did then you could probably be kicked out for lying. (Many programs have this on their admission page stating this)

My advice to you is to take the time and research more about the PA profession and actually shadow some PAs. This forum is a complete blessing so take the time to read through it. You'll honestly learn so much and help you avoid mistakes during this process. Good luck and welcome to the pre-pa party.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By murphy2020
      I am applying to a school that has an August 1st deadline, so I want to submit my application by July 1st to make sure it has time to clear. I have yet to take the GRE. I called CASPA and they said I am able to submit my application to the school but just insert the date and number of the verification code of the GRE I am signed up for. Has anyone submitted an application and had their GRE score uploaded during the clearing process?
    • By Mhodson014
      Hey guys!!!
      So I am so excited to be applying to PA school this round! 
      I am working on my supplemental essays and one of the schools I am applying to wants an essay based off of my life experiences. They specifically state that this is different from the personal statement and that it should be based on my life history and experiences in 3200 characters.
      I am kind of confused on where to begin..
      Is it okay to include things from high school and my childhood?
      Also good luck to everyone applying this round!!!
    • By Nrm1010
      Hi everyone!

This is my first post in this forum. So glad I found it! Anyways, I am currently applying to PA programs, and I have a question regarding my patient care experience. I work as a medical technician at a nursing home. Up until this point, I have about 800 hours. However, some of the schools I am applying to require 1000+ hours. I will easily get these hours done by the end of the summer. Should I put my "end date" on the CASPA as (ex) August 31st, 2019? That way, I can approximate the amount of hours I work a week to put myself over 1000 (and so the schools won't immediately throw out my application)!
      I have a 4.0 major GPA (Biology) and 3.96 overall GPA, 50+ hours shadowing a PA, 100+ volunteer hours, and scored above the 60th percentile on all sections of my GRE. Do you think this bare minimum of hours will hurt my chances into getting into PA programs? Right now, I am planning on applying to DeSales, Arcadia, Chatham, and Yale (as well as a few others).

Thanks!
    • By agwebster
      On the licenses and certifications section, CASPA acts for the issuing organization. I am not sure what would be the issuing organization for my CNA certification - would it be the school I attended for my certification or my state's department of health professions which lists online my license number...?
    • By Naisphan
      Hey! If anyone has any questions regarding PA school or their application please don't hesitate to let me know!
      I applied to 9 schools, got accepted to 1, waitlisted at 4 schools and denied to 4 schools.
      When I was applying there were not many resources to find other students who were accepted with low GPAs to see what they have done, so I just want to help out as much as possible. This is a very stressful part of an individual's life and having someone to relate to can definitely help out.
      If anyone feels uncomfortable commenting their questions on here or need a super fast response, feel free to message me on my instagram as well: Naisphan
      Right now, I'm a volunteer pre-pa mentor for two community colleges in my neighborhood.

I don't want to make this a super long post but a quick overview of my statistics:
      cGPA: 3.1
      sGPA: 3.01
      Last 60 credit hours: 3.8
      PCE: 2600
      HCE: 1500
      Shadowing Hours: 144
      GRE: Did not take

There is so so so much more than just the numbers. I really mean that. I have spoken with a whole bunch of PA admissions committee members directly at multiple schools about my application and also what they're looking for in potential applicants. I've also spoken to many students and pre-pa mentors as well to help me throughout the process.
      With my low GPA, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to make it into school but with the help of my mentors I was able to craft a great application.
      Don't be discouraged at all, there are so many things to do to make your application much better!!! It really is a holistic application and as long as you reach the minimums, anything is possible from there. Again, AMA either here or on my instagram page!!!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More