FGCU 2018-2019 Cycle

• 1 month later...
  • Remain calm and optimistic
  • It's not ALL about GPAs. Go to our FAQs page and scroll down to "How can I make my CASPA admission application stronger"
  • We do review ALL applications thoroughly.
  • Once you submit via CASPA, we are electronically notified and receive your application - there really is no need to call or inquire to confirm that it has been received
  • Remember that your application must be "VERIFIED" by the posted deadline. It is recommended that you submit your application well in advance of the deadline
  • If your application isn't complete, it will not be passed on to a secondary review until all requirements are met (including GRE, letters of recommendation, final grades, degree conferral, etc.).
  • Applications are not screened until they reach CASPA "Verified" status. Monitor your application status in CASPA and do what you can to make sure your letters of recommendation and transcripts are received by CASPA in a timely fashion.
  • Follow CASPA's instructions carefully, and don't forget to enter your experiences in the appropriate areas
  • Know the program requirements for admission! Review the website carefully https://www2.fgcu.edu/mariebcollege/HS/MPAS/admissions.html 
  • Review our FAQs carefully! Look there if you have a question, many if not most questions are answered there. https://www2.fgcu.edu/mariebcollege/HS/MPAS/faq.html
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Please be assured that all applications that are received are thoroughly reviewed. We are a small group of faculty and staff, and it is time-consuming, but we review everything!

Last year was extremely competitive, and we imagine that this will be true year after year for the foreseeable future.

In last year's cycle I posted some insight into what is looked at, and what might be more competitive.

Just meeting the minimums doesn't guarantee an interview, but high GPAs don't necessarily guarantee an interview or acceptance.

The biggest thing: make sure you meet the minimums! Look at your BCP GPAs in CASPA. Remember we also look at the last 60 credits of the bachelors degree and factor that GPA in (this is a University requirement, and we have to abide by it).

We are looking for the all around best 20 out of many, many applicants. Very difficult to choose from so many excellent applicants.

I hope to see some of you in a few months!

-Dr G

• Like 2

5 hours ago, FGCUPADirClinEd said:

Hi,

Please be assured that all applications that are received are thoroughly reviewed. We are a small group of faculty and staff, and it is time-consuming, but we review everything!

Last year was extremely competitive, and we imagine that this will be true year after year for the foreseeable future.

In last year's cycle I posted some insight into what is looked at, and what might be more competitive.

Just meeting the minimums doesn't guarantee an interview, but high GPAs don't necessarily guarantee an interview or acceptance.

The biggest thing: make sure you meet the minimums! Look at your BCP GPAs in CASPA. Remember we also look at the last 60 credits of the bachelors degree and factor that GPA in (this is a University requirement, and we have to abide by it).

We are looking for the all around best 20 out of many, many applicants. Very difficult to choose from so many excellent applicants.

I hope to see some of you in a few months!

-Dr G

Thank you for the update!

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Prepaguy23 said:

Hmm I just got the same email from them. Yet I have no in progress pre requisite courses...

That’s weird. Is your degree in progress? I emailed them back and they were nice about it but basically said everything has to be done before January 15th and you won’t be considered until it is complete. 

• Like 1

On 6/11/2018 at 10:37 PM, futurepackc said:

Hi! I thought I would start this thread to see if who else is applying and any advice form current students.

Hi,

If your prerequisite is in progress and will not be complete by end of Fall 2018 semester, you do not meet the minimums. Everything, including the Bachelors, must be done by the end of this semester (Fall 2018) in order to start in August 2019.

If it is "in progress" and will be done in Spring 2019, you will not meet the minimums. Please carefully look at the requirements for admission.

I just want to prevent "misinformation".

If this doesn't address your concern, let me know...

-Dr G

Edited by FGCUPADirClinEd
Clarification

4 hours ago, FGCUPADirClinEd said:

Hi,

If your prerequisite is in progress and will not be complete by end of Fall 2018 semester, you do not meet the minimums. Everything, including the Bachelors, must be done by the end of this semester (Fall 2018) in order to start in August 2019.

If it is "in progress" and will be done in Spring 2019, you will not meet the minimums. Please carefully look at the requirements for admission.

I just want to prevent "misinformation".

If this doesn't address your concern, let me know...

-Dr G

Thank you. Do we just email back transcripts upon completion? 

Hi,

Just a reminder, again...make sure you carefully ready through the requirements of whichever program to which you are applying.

For FGCU, you have to make sure that you have:

• Minimum GPA of 3.0 in the last 60 credits earned in the Bachelors Degree. Unfortunately, coursework after the Bachelors is conferred does not count. This is not a program policy, but the policy of the University Admissions Office for all graduate programs. If you have < 3.0 GPA for the last 60 credits of the Bachelors Degree, then an earned graduate degree with a GPA of 3.0 or higher would fulfill this requirement. Technically, a second Bachelors Degree with a GPA > 3.0 would also fulfill this requirement. But, successfully completing graduate work begins to prove that the student is of a higher caliber...
  • Minimum overall grade point average of 3.0 is required for all biology, chemistry, and physics (BCP) courses completed. This includes all courses, even those completed after the Bachelors. So, if you went "back to school" to do prerequisites, while that GPA won't touch the last 60 credits of the Bachelors, it will help shape your BCP GPA. It is very important that your BCP GPA be solid...these are the harder courses in your undergraduate work...
  • The prerequisite courses...these must be a minimum grade of 2.0 or higher. That means, at least one attempt (assuming that you have repeated the courses) must be a "C" (2.0) or higher. Your overall BCP GPA must average above 3.0, but the prerequisites must be at least a "C". I am reiterating this because it is a common question and source of confusion. But...if you have any Cs, Ds, Fs, or Ws, it may make you a weaker candidate. And, these courses have to be meant for science or health professions majors. Do not take "intro" or "survey" courses.
    • Biology, including lab: 4 semester hours
    • General Chemistry I & II, including labs: 8 semester hours
    • Organic Chemistry or Biochemistry: 3 semester hours (you technically don't need the lab portion, but consider taking it)
    • Medical Terminology: 3 semester hours
    • Human Anatomy & Physiology I & II, including labs: 8 semester hours total, both taken within 7 years prior to matriculation
      • Most schools do this as a two course sequence
      • Must be human-focused courses
      • Can be a separate anatomy and separate physiology course, adding up to 8 semester hours
      • Cannot be "intro" level courses...must be meant for health professions majors.
    • Microbiology including lab: 4 semester hours minimum, course courses are 5 semester hours, taken within 7 years prior to matriculation
    • Genetics: 3 semester hours, taken within 7 years prior to matriculation
  • Note: for the most part, you have to take the courses listed and named above. Be careful in saying that another course will count towards a prerequisite. Contact us if you have a question.
  • Graduate Record Examination (GRE) – official scores are required and must be within the past five years
  • A minimum of 250 hours of direct patient care
  • Three professional letters of recommendation
    • One letter shall be from a Physician Assistant (PA)
    • One letter shall be from a non-PA clinician (MD, DO, or NP)
    • One letter from a Professor or any individual who has worked with the applicant in a professional or educational environment. Reference should have worked with the applicant for a minimum of six months.
  • Remember, all courses must be taken at regionally accredited institutions.

Meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee an interview or acceptance. We accept 20 students and there are many, many people applying. We received nearly 2,000 applicants last year.

Make sure that you meet all of the requirements. You'd be surprised how many people apply, who do not meet the minimum requirements. Sometimes, not even close. Double-check, triple-check, quadruple-check your application to make sure that it is complete and accurate. If you were notified that you didn't meet the requirements, and perhaps it was because you entered something incorrectly, or whatever it was, if you have corrected it, drop us an email.

Common reasons students do not meet requirements really include any of the above. But some students:

• Don't realize their GPA is below 3.0. Remember, not the "overall" GPA, but the last 60 of the Bachelors, and the BCP
  • Don't realize that we do not recognize "grade forgiveness". All courses are considered. Even repeats.
  • Have microbiology, A & P, or genetics courses that are older than 7 years
  • Took a medical terminology course that is less than 3 credits
  • Tried to "fulfill" the medical terminology prerequisite by saying that another course counted for it.
  • Have courses in progress for Spring semester
  • Incorrectly entered information into CASPA
  • Failed to enter patient care experiences
  • Failed to have final transcripts sent to CASPA, indicating that the degree is completed. Be careful when you order your transcripts and follow the listed instructions (i.e. send after degree is noted)

Note: If your courses are in progress during this Fall semester, you application will be reviewed once you have completed the courses in progress. If you degree is in progress and will be completed after this Fall semester, you application will be reviewed once it has been completed. If your prerequisites or degree is in progress and won't be completed until after this coming Spring semester, you will not meet the requirements for the class that starts in August 2019.

For further details, including international applicants/graduates, go to https://www2.fgcu.edu/mariebcollege/HS/MPAS/admissions.html

If you have received an email that you do not meet the requirements...then that's it. Your application will no longer be considered for this cycle. If you believe there is an error, contact the program...but first, please please please double check your application and look at this information I have provided. If you have made an error, contact us after you have addressed it. If you believe we made an error, and you have double checked and still believe so, contact us.

I look forward to meeting some of you early next year.

Disclaimer, this is not an official source of information...care was taken to ensure the accuracy of this information...go to the website or contact the program as needed.

I hope this helps,

-Dr. G

Edited by FGCUPADirClinEd

37 minutes ago, FGCUPADirClinEd said:

Hi,

Just a reminder, again...make sure you carefully ready through the requirements of whichever program to which you are applying.

For FGCU, you have to make sure that you have:

• Minimum GPA of 3.0 in the last 60 credits earned in the Bachelors Degree. Unfortunately, coursework after the Bachelors is conferred does not count. This is not a program policy, but the policy of the University Admissions Office for all graduate programs. If you have < 3.0 GPA for the last 60 credits of the Bachelors Degree, then an earned graduate degree with a GPA of 3.0 or higher would fulfill this requirement. Technically, a second Bachelors Degree with a GPA > 3.0 would also fulfill this requirement. But, successfully completing graduate work begins to prove that the student is of a higher caliber...
  • Minimum overall grade point average of 3.0 is required for all biology, chemistry, and physics (BCP) courses completed. This includes all courses, even those completed after the Bachelors. So, if you went "back to school" to do prerequisites, while that GPA won't touch the last 60 credits of the Bachelors, it will help shape your BCP GPA. It is very important that your BCP GPA be solid...these are the harder courses in your undergraduate work...
  • The prerequisite courses...these must be a minimum grade of 2.0 or higher. That means, at least one attempt (assuming that you have repeated the courses) must be a "C" (2.0) or higher. Your overall BCP GPA must average above 3.0, but the prerequisites must be at least a "C". I am reiterating this because it is a common question and source of confusion. But...if you have any Cs, Ds, Fs, or Ws, it may make you a weaker candidate. And, these courses have to be meant for science or health professions majors. Do not take "intro" or "survey" courses.
    • Biology, including lab: 4 semester hours
    • General Chemistry I & II, including labs: 8 semester hours
    • Organic Chemistry or Biochemistry: 3 semester hours (you technically don't need the lab portion, but consider taking it)
    • Medical Terminology: 3 semester hours
    • Human Anatomy & Physiology I & II, including labs: 8 semester hours total, both taken within 7 years prior to matriculation
      • Most schools do this as a two course sequence
      • Must be human-focused courses
      • Can be a separate anatomy and separate physiology course, adding up to 8 semester hours
      • Cannot be "intro" level courses...must be meant for health professions majors.
    • Microbiology including lab: 4 semester hours minimum, course courses are 5 semester hours, taken within 7 years prior to matriculation
    • Genetics: 3 semester hours, taken within 7 years prior to matriculation
  • Note: for the most part, you have to take the courses listed and named above. Be careful in saying that another course will count towards a prerequisite. Contact us if you have a question.
  • Graduate Record Examination (GRE) – official scores are required and must be within the past five years
  • A minimum of 250 hours of direct patient care
  • Three professional letters of recommendation
    • One letter shall be from a Physician Assistant (PA)
    • One letter shall be from a non-PA clinician (MD, DO, or NP)
    • One letter from a Professor or any individual who has worked with the applicant in a professional or educational environment. Reference should have worked with the applicant for a minimum of six months.
  • Remember, all courses must be taken at regionally accredited institutions.

Meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee an interview or acceptance. We accept 20 students and there are many, many people applying. We received nearly 2,000 applicants last year.

Make sure that you meet all of the requirements. You'd be surprised how many people apply, who do not meet the minimum requirements. Sometimes, not even close. Double-check, triple-check, quadruple-check your application to make sure that it is complete and accurate. If you were notified that you didn't meet the requirements, and perhaps it was because you entered something incorrectly, or whatever it was, if you have corrected it, drop us an email.

Common reasons students do not meet requirements really include any of the above. But some students:

• Don't realize their GPA is below 3.0. Remember, not the "overall" GPA, but the last 60 of the Bachelors, and the BCP
  • Don't realize that we do not recognize "grade forgiveness". All courses are considered. Even repeats.
  • Have microbiology, A & P, or genetics courses that are older than 7 years
  • Took a medical terminology course that is less than 3 credits
  • Tried to "fulfill" the medical terminology prerequisite by saying that another course counted for it.
  • Have courses in progress for Spring semester
  • Incorrectly entered information into CASPA
  • Failed to enter patient care experiences
  • Failed to have final transcripts sent to CASPA, indicating that the degree is completed. Be careful when you order your transcripts and follow the listed instructions (i.e. send after degree is noted)

Note: If your courses are in progress during this Fall semester, you application will be reviewed once you have completed the courses in progress. If you degree is in progress and will be completed after this Fall semester, you application will be reviewed once it has been completed. If your prerequisites or degree is in progress and won't be completed until after this coming Spring semester, you will not meet the requirements for the class that starts in August 2019.

For further details, including international applicants/graduates, go to https://www2.fgcu.edu/mariebcollege/HS/MPAS/admissions.html

If you have received an email that you do not meet the requirements...then that's it. Your application will no longer be considered for this cycle. If you believe there is an error, contact the program...but first, please please please double check your application and look at this information I have provided. If you have made an error, contact us after you have addressed it. If you believe we made an error, and you have double checked and still believe so, contact us.

I look forward to meeting some of you early next year.

Disclaimer, this is not an official source of information...care was taken to ensure the accuracy of this information...go to the website or contact the program as needed.

I hope this helps,

-Dr. G

4.  In addition to baccalaureate degree, applicants must meet at leastone of the following criteria:

• Minimum Upper Division Grade Point Average (UG60) of at least 3.0 for the last 60 credits earned from baccalaureate degree.
• Earned graduate degree from a regionally accredited institution or equivalent foreign institution with a minimum 3.0 grade point average.

so would I still be eligible even though my undergrad is not a 3.0 but my graduate degree is over a 3.0 and and BCP is over a 3.0 

1 hour ago, topshotta2 said:

4.  In addition to baccalaureate degree, applicants must meet at leastone of the following criteria:

• Minimum Upper Division Grade Point Average (UG60) of at least 3.0 for the last 60 credits earned from baccalaureate degree.
• Earned graduate degree from a regionally accredited institution or equivalent foreign institution with a minimum 3.0 grade point average.

so would I still be eligible even though my undergrad is not a 3.0 but my graduate degree is over a 3.0 and and BCP is over a 3.0 

If you have a graduate degree at a GPA of 3.0 or above, and your BCP course GPA is 3.0 or above, then you should be good to go in terms of GPA.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/13/2018 at 2:41 PM, FGCUPADirClinEd said:
  • Remain calm and optimistic
  • It's not ALL about GPAs. Go to our FAQs page and scroll down to "How can I make my CASPA admission application stronger"
  • We do review ALL applications thoroughly.
  • Once you submit via CASPA, we are electronically notified and receive your application - there really is no need to call or inquire to confirm that it has been received
  • Remember that your application must be "VERIFIED" by the posted deadline. It is recommended that you submit your application well in advance of the deadline
  • If your application isn't complete, it will not be passed on to a secondary review until all requirements are met (including GRE, letters of recommendation, final grades, degree conferral, etc.).
  • Applications are not screened until they reach CASPA "Verified" status. Monitor your application status in CASPA and do what you can to make sure your letters of recommendation and transcripts are received by CASPA in a timely fashion.
  • Follow CASPA's instructions carefully, and don't forget to enter your experiences in the appropriate areas
  • Know the program requirements for admission! Review the website carefully https://www2.fgcu.edu/mariebcollege/HS/MPAS/admissions.html 
  • Review our FAQs carefully! Look there if you have a question, many if not most questions are answered there. https://www2.fgcu.edu/mariebcollege/HS/MPAS/faq.html

I have >7k PCE hours but BCP gpa per Caspa is 2.97... is it worth applying?