Two of my preceptors so far (separately) have informed me that they are not paid and that other programs are offering to pay them to preceptor students.

Is it normal for programs to not compensate preceptors? I realize they can get CME, however I am still paying full tuition (> $4500 per rotation) so just wondering what that goes toward if not part to preceptor.

I searched for past topics but hadn't seen much on this..

I have been a preceptor for 10 years for multiple schools, hospitals, and specialities and I have never gotten paid. Most of my colleagues that are preceptors do not get paid. I have a few deals with schools where I would be a preceptor for their students and they would have me come in to give lectures/teach procedures, and in turn they would pay me 75-150/hr for the lecture, but nothing specifically for preceptor. Yes we do get CME but other than that it's pretty much teaching for the continued success of the profession. 

The norm is NOT to compensate preceptors.  However, it is not unheard of.  Some of the newer programs or those that students have to set up their own rotations are more likely to find preceptors who request to be paid.  

If your program sets up your rotations/finds preceptors for you, you should talk to your school.  At the very least it is incredibly inappropriate for a preceptor to talk to you about being paid.

My program refuses to pay preceptors however if you find your own rotation, say for an elective, and the preceptor requests to be paid - the student would be responsible for it.  The program will not do it.  This is also something that is done up front.  Personally it feels a little...like a slippery slope to pay preceptors.  I'd rather have someone teaching me who genuinely wants to as opposed to someone who is just looking for extra cash.

It may be rotation-specific or where schools find it hard to retain quality sites. For the school I precept for, they don't pay for elective rotations, but they do pay for core rotations.

I make sure that students know that I don't get paid. It's interesting to see the shift in attitude when they find out I'm doing this free and not the few thousand dollars they're paying the school.

Edited by Sed