Remote medicine questions

Greetings, I've been wanting to transition from doing rural emergency medicine to trying to find a position that would be doing remote and wilderness/adventure medicine/locums stuff. Anyone do this type of work?  can you give me a run down of your experience with doing this type of work? compensation? Hiring? ?

about me: I'm a rural Emergency medicine PA, NCCPA EM-CAQ, ATLS, PALS, ACLS, and have 9 years prior in rural in EMS as an EMT/ Paramedic

Currently working on getting TCCC. 

Thanks

several companies do this. A few forum members have in the past. don't know if anyone who still visits regularly does.

the Antarctica positions are through UTMB

The yellowstone/midway island positions are medcor

most of the AK stuff is beacon occupational health services and wilderness medical staffing

Stuff on ships and international is Remote Medicine International

There are others.

Any Alaskan Native Health Organization can put you in remote sites. Fairweather LLC out of Anchorage  has many remote site positions as does Beacon OHSS. Remote Medical Incorporated has international positions and remote US ones too, They like to hire Paramedics also. Some of the Seafood Processors hire PAs to work in their coastal processing plants across Alaska. Some villages hire seasonal PA like Camai Health Center in Naknek,. AK. The best plan is to get to know folks working the type of positions you are seeking, once you have " a rep" jobs will come looking for you!

• 2 weeks later...

Remote medical international offered me a job to work in Afghanistan a while ago (turned it down).  The pay was low in my opinion... Boiled down to like $500 or so a day for 12 hour shifts (always on call) 7 days a week.  There was some vacation.  Seemed to be 90% OCC med stuff with the potential for sick call /real injuries.   They wanted OCC med experience in DOT/fork lift/ fit for duty physicals, and know about OSHA recordables.  When I looked at their web site it seemed to be awesome middle of no where Africa/South America oil wells in a rugged ambulance doing crazy remote medicine.  When I asked about that, they said that was more the advanced paramedics.  The only PA job was working in a clinic, maybe a more remote FOB in Afghan as a sub contractor. 

• 3 weeks later...

A friend of mine did the midway position and said he was bored the whole time. Very low patient volumes and not much to do on the island. Check out the UTMB Antarctica positions, Medcor's Yosemite remote site jobs, and Beacon occupational health services AK for the types of things I think would be enjoyable for adrenalin junkies. I have friends who have done all of these.

On 7/14/2018 at 12:09 PM, EMEDPA said:

A friend of mine did the midway position and said he was bored the whole time. Very low patient volumes and not much to do on the island. Check out the UTMB Antarctica positions, Medcor's Yosemite remote site jobs, and Beacon occupational health services AK for the types of things I think would be enjoyable for adrenalin junkies. I have friends who have done all of these.

Remote Medicine is best described as months of tedium , interrupted by minutes of terror! Many of those working theses sites were medically screened before being hired. That said ,accidents happen and medical emergencies are lurking in the offices and bunkhouses everyday. The challenge is being ready to not just identify the problem but to manage them appropriately until the cavalry arrives!! If you feel the need to be jumping onto medical hand grenades constantly, remote site medicine isn't for you. If  you are having emergencies regularly, you're working for a unsafe organization.

A friend did the Antarctic gig as a PA and most of his work was as a housekeeper or KP since everyone shares these duties. I've worked for Beacon & Fairweather occasionally and being busy is frowned upon by the clients, as that represents injuries and  sickness threatens the operation of the camp ,since most positions are one person deep each shift. A positive Flu test gets you quickly quarantined in your room and flown out on the next plane.

• 6 months later...

Archived