2018 - 19 Application Process

11 hours ago, sganey said:

For those of you that were accepted, did they mail you a packet with info about the deposit? And is the deposit due 10 days from when they let you know you’re accepted or when you get the info? I was accepted last Wednesday and still haven’t gotten anything about holding my spot

I received a folder in the mail with all the acceptance and deposit information. I don't remember the deposit deadline, but I'd call/email to follow up about the folder since it's been a week! Congrats!

On 7/27/2018 at 8:16 PM, Kristina-M said:

Hey guys! 

I'm a second year PA student at Marist in the middle of my rotations. Feel free to ask me any questions about  the program, didactic year, rotations or even just for general advice! I'll be happy to answer your questions. Good luck to all of you! 

hey Kristina!

I had a question.. while rotating, are there opportunities to utilize Spanish with patients? or an elective of medical Spanish that the program offers? I am really hoping to keep using Spanish moving forward as a PA. Would love some feedback on your opinion about this!!

Thanks!

On 10/2/2018 at 12:19 PM, SydMartin said:

hey Kristina!

I had a question.. while rotating, are there opportunities to utilize Spanish with patients? or an elective of medical Spanish that the program offers? I am really hoping to keep using Spanish moving forward as a PA. Would love some feedback on your opinion about this!!

Thanks!

Hey! 

I'm pretty sure you will have plenty opportunities to utilize Spanish during your rotations! I just had a rotation where we had quite a few only Spanish speaking patients and we had to use translator services to communicate with the patients. Unfortunately, the program does not offer Medical Spanish at the moment but if you are fluent in Spanish and if there is ever a need for translator, I would say let your preceptor know and I'm pretty sure they'll be happy to utilize your Spanish skills. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! My name is Emily. I am a PA-S1 at Marist! I'll be around during the interviews tomorrow 11/2, excited to meet some of you! Good luck to everyone applying, can be a stressful process but just be confident in yourself and give it your best. If anyone has any questions feel free to reach out to me and ill do my best to answer. And again, Good Luck! 

Hey! I was a late applicant, October 27th. I received a rejection letter dated October 30th. I am wondering if they even read my application. The turnaround was almost more disappointing than the rejection. The school should move up their date, if they aren't taking new applications. Someone is profiting here. My stats were very similar to past accepted students. 

1 minute ago, MelanieA said:

Hey! I was a late applicant, October 27th. I received a rejection letter dated October 30th. I am wondering if they even read my application. The turnaround was almost more disappointing than the rejection. The school should move up their date, if they aren't taking new applications. Someone is profiting here. My stats were very similar to past accepted students. 

With rolling admission it gets more competitive over time, that’s just how it works. If you apply in the first month you’re only compared to those that far, if you apply in the last month, they have less spots left and you’re compared to way more people. Im sorry! I hope you hear back from other places!

On 11/2/2018 at 8:55 PM, MelanieA said:

Most often (in general, not Marist in particular), when rejections come that fast it is due to applications not meeting minimum requirements. I would comb over your app and Marists' requirements to ensure that you did not miss anything. And it doesn't hurt to reach out and ask why you may have been rejected and what the program is looking for that could have made the difference.

2 minutes ago, CatMunson said:

Congrats!

I was just wondering how the interview process was set up? How long did it last? Is it 1-on-1, 1 and a panel, or group?

Hey! So unfortunately I can't tell you about the interview process but I can tell you it lasted about 4 hours. It started at 12:30 and ended shortly before 4:45. It includes a faculty presentation with Q&A, building and campus tour, and of course the interview. Let me know if you have any other questions!

On 11/1/2018 at 4:21 PM, amurphy13 said:

Hey guys, my name is Annie and I'm the president of the class of 2020. Like Emily, I'm also available to answer any questions that you may have. Congrats to those who have gotten in and good luck to all! 

Hi Annie, 

I am interested in submitting an application to Marist. I can't tell from the website, what are the class sizes and student to teacher ratios? Also, what do you like best about the program? 

Thank you, 

effie 

Edited by effiedoesyoga

1 hour ago, effiedoesyoga said:

Hi Annie, 

I am interested in submitting an application the Marist. I can't tell from the website, what are the class sizes and student to teacher ratios? Also, what do you like best about the program? 

Thank you, 

effie 

Hey Effie, I can answer this for you (I recently got accepted). During the interview day, they said that next year's cohort as well as the upcoming cohorts will be a class size of 60. And the teacher to student ratio is I believe 1:10. 

Although this was my first interview, I really enjoyed being part of a college campus because there was a student center, gyms, and a library all within walking distance of each other. The campus is also really beautiful and overlooks the river, especially during this time of year. I also really liked the donor lab being in the same building and working on the donors in teams of 6 I believe. Lastly, I looked into programs that have a 100% pance rate and even though Marist just graduated their first cohort, they got a 100% and that goes to show the superb education they have and the tools and resources Marist offers for their success. 

• Like 1

On 11/7/2018 at 8:34 AM, aba51 said:

Hey Effie, I can answer this for you (I recently got accepted). During the interview day, they said that next year's cohort as well as the upcoming cohorts will be a class size of 60. And the teacher to student ratio is I believe 1:10. 

Although this was my first interview, I really enjoyed being part of a college campus because there was a student center, gyms, and a library all within walking distance of each other. The campus is also really beautiful and overlooks the river, especially during this time of year. I also really liked the donor lab being in the same building and working on the donors in teams of 6 I believe. Lastly, I looked into programs that have a 100% pance rate and even though Marist just graduated their first cohort, they got a 100% and that goes to show the superb education they have and the tools and resources Marist offers for their success. 

thanks. I appreciate you writing back to me. I had a little bit a hard time getting the feel for the school from their website. This was very helpful. 

Edited by effiedoesyoga

13 hours ago, effiedoesyoga said:

Hi Annie, 

I am interested in submitting an application to Marist. I can't tell from the website, what are the class sizes and student to teacher ratios? Also, what do you like best about the program? 

Thank you, 

effie 

Hi Effie, 

The class of 2020 has 53 students. I believe they're aiming to get 60 for the class of 2021. Like aba51 said, the student to faculty ratio is about 1:10. There are many things I love about Marist's program, but what stands out the most is how much the professors want us to succeed. They seriously make themselves and their knowledge accessible constantly, and we can really feel how much they care about all of us. We have a strong sense of community in the PA school in general and it's a wonderful program to be a part of. There is ALWAYS someone to turn to if you feel stressed or overwhelmed ?

Please don't hesitate to ask any other questions!

-Annie 

• Like 1