2018 - 19 Application Cycle

5 hours ago, egh01983 said:

I received an email from LaTanya saying my CASPer results had not been received, but when I go on the CASPer website it says "results delivered" next to MUSC PA. Is anyone else having any problems with CASPer?

I got the same email and then they later said there was a bug and that the issue was fixed. It said we should be able to check the portal tomorrow to make sure.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:18 AM, Gerardo said:

Hey guys,

My name is Gerardo and I was accepted to MUSC last year. If you have any general questions I am more than happy to help out! My email is santiago@musc.edu. Good luck this year! MUSC PA Program is great!

Cheers!

Do you mind sharing your stats? Are there a lot of out of state students in your class?

Hi @marissajanel,

So happy that you're considering MUSC to apply to! It's probably the best PA school in SC for many reasons:

1. It is not on academic probation like most PA schools

2. They have been doing this for a long time unlike the new upcoming schools

3. Their staff are amazing!

4. You get to work along side other professions (MD, PT, OT, Nursing, and Pharmacy students because they are going to the same school)

5. Very involved in the community (volunteering to free clinics, getting some direct patient care, etc.)

Here are my stats:

GPA: 3.75 (Cumulative)

GRE: Verbal 147 (Range 130-170), Math 146 (Range 130-170), Writing 3.0 (Range 0-6)

Direct patient care hours: 2,500+ hours (I worked at an Urgent Care for 3 years)

*I am still currently a medic in the Army National Guard

*I worked at a hospital as an Exercise Physiologist for 1 year

*I am a SC resident

My GRE was not great and I was definitely worried I would not get it because it was not competitive. However, I think that my GPA and patient care hours balanced it out. Also, almost half of the student in my class are from out out state (30 out of 60) as close as from North Carolina to as far as Hawaii! The interview was the best interview I've gone to. All were so warm and inviting and I got to meet second year students to guide us through the campus (hopefully I will be your guide when you guys get an invite this coming November!!!).

We are currently planning our interview days with our busy schedules but we are so excited to meet you all!

Let me know if you have any other questions. If you want to contact me personally my email is santiago@musc.edu

Best of luck!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gerardo said:

Hi @marissajanel,

So happy that you're considering MUSC to apply to! It's probably the best PA school in SC for many reasons:

1. It is not on academic probation like most PA schools

2. They have been doing this for a long time unlike the new upcoming schools

3. Their staff are amazing!

4. You get to work along side other professions (MD, PT, OT, Nursing, and Pharmacy students because they are going to the same school)

5. Very involved in the community (volunteering to free clinics, getting some direct patient care, etc.)

Here are my stats:

GPA: 3.75 (Cumulative)

GRE: Verbal 147 (Range 130-170), Math 146 (Range 130-170), Writing 3.0 (Range 0-6)

Direct patient care hours: 2,500+ hours (I worked at an Urgent Care for 3 years)

*I am still currently a medic in the Army National Guard

*I worked at a hospital as an Exercise Physiologist for 1 year

*I am a SC resident

My GRE was not great and I was definitely worried I would not get it because it was not competitive. However, I think that my GPA and patient care hours balanced it out. Also, almost half of the student in my class are from out out state (30 out of 60) as close as from North Carolina to as far as Hawaii! The interview was the best interview I've gone to. All were so warm and inviting and I got to meet second year students to guide us through the campus (hopefully I will be your guide when you guys get an invite this coming November!!!).

We are currently planning our interview days with our busy schedules but we are so excited to meet you all!

Let me know if you have any other questions. If you want to contact me personally my email is santiago@musc.edu

Best of luck!

Thank you SO much for all of your input! I am becoming nervous because I am from Ohio but applied to mostly out of state programs, which I have learned has made interviews more difficult to come by. I am 22 with 4,000 patient care hours. GPA 3.4 sGPA 3.2 ; GRE 149, 149 & 5 and then a lot of "fluff" in my application as well! I do realize my GPA and GRE are lower but have hope that my patient care hours and all of my research, leadership, etc. can prove that I really am passionate about this! I will keep you updated ? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, marissajanel said:

Thank you SO much for all of your input! I am becoming nervous because I am from Ohio but applied to mostly out of state programs, which I have learned has made interviews more difficult to come by. I am 22 with 4,000 patient care hours. GPA 3.4 sGPA 3.2 ; GRE 149, 149 & 5 and then a lot of "fluff" in my application as well! I do realize my GPA and GRE are lower but have hope that my patient care hours and all of my research, leadership, etc. can prove that I really am passionate about this! I will keep you updated ? 

You're stats are good. Don't get discouraged. We have, I think, two interview dates in November. Last year there were 1,800 applicants, ~150 interview invites, and 60 accepted, so you can pretty much do the math with your chances getting in if you get an invite.

1 minute ago, Gerardo said:

You're stats are good. Don't get discouraged. We have, I think, two interview dates in November. Last year there were 1,800 applicants, ~150 interview invites, and 60 accepted, so you can pretty much do the math with your chances getting in if you get an invite.

When were you notified on an interview invite?

Hi Gerardo, 

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions! I wondered if you could speak about your first year experience. What classes and lectures are like, the ways in which you practice skills during the first year, what you’ve found to be the best way to study and retain all the information. Any insight you can offer would be awesome, I’m just curious what the first year is like. 

Thank you! 

Anne 

Edited by AnneDPAApplicant

On 8/27/2018 at 10:19 AM, AnneDPAApplicant said:

Hi Gerardo, 

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions! I wondered if you could speak about your first year experience. What classes and lectures are like, the ways in which you practice skills during the first year, what you’ve found to be the best way to study and retain all the information. Any insight you can offer would be awesome, I’m just curious what the first year is like. 

Thank you! 

Anne 

Hello,

Just like any graduate school, PA school is no different. Our semester started on May: Anatomy, Physiology, Pharmacology, Bioethics, and Introduction to PA studies. Keep in mind that you can see the full curriculum in the MUSC website. Anatomy would be your biggest challenge this first semester with the cadaver lab and the lecture combined. Although, the cadaver lab is something that is worth it! You will learn about the human body like you've never experience before!

Fall semester starts in August and we just finished our first week with all of our classes: Fundamentals of Clinical Medicine, Pathophysiology, Pharmacotherapeutics, Clinical Problem Solving, History and Physical Examination, and Diagnostic Medicine. This is the part where you will start to learn about different diseases and how to treat them.

Unlike undergrad, all of our lectures are recorded so you can rewatch all lectures which great for me. All studying habits are different but I tend to just pay attention in class and take all that I can absorb in. I don't take notes in class, I do that when I go to the library/home/somewhere quiet. Our class starts at 0800 and the latest we get out is 1700, sometimes earlier depending on schedule. The class is challenging but I think that I should be challenging because of the profession itself. I am learning new things everyday and I love it!

Hope this helps!

Gerardo

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2018 at 4:57 PM, marissajanel said:

Hey! I have VERY similar stats and feel the same way! Best of luck:)

On 7/27/2018 at 9:18 AM, Gerardo said:

Hey guys,

My name is Gerardo and I was accepted to MUSC last year. If you have any general questions I am more than happy to help out! My email is santiago@musc.edu. Good luck this year! MUSC PA Program is great!

Cheers!

Hi Gerardo!

Thank you so much for your willingness to help all of us. I saw your stats below (thanks for that)... would you mind telling us the type of interview styles they have? Group/ Individual/ MMI/ essay, etc...  Thanks so much again!

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

Please don't stress about interview invites. We haven't gotten any word from our dean and our admission administrators that they have sent out invitation letters yet. We have 3 interview dates: at the end of this month and the first two weeks of November. I'm assuming the one at the end of this month is the date for the people who applied for early decision. For right now, just continue on with your regular activities. I was in your shoes last year eagerly waiting for that email. Just be patient and trust in the plan. I'm hoping to see a lot of your in the coming weeks! I'm excited for you all!!! 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

On 10/2/2018 at 12:05 AM, Gerardo said:

Guys,

Please don't stress about interview invites. We haven't gotten any word from our dean and our admission administrators that they have sent out invitation letters yet. We have 3 interview dates: at the end of this month and the first two weeks of November. I'm assuming the one at the end of this month is the date for the people who applied for early decision. For right now, just continue on with your regular activities. I was in your shoes last year eagerly waiting for that email. Just be patient and trust in the plan. I'm hoping to see a lot of your in the coming weeks! I'm excited for you all!!! 

Thank you for this!